It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexual harassment in virtual reality feels all too real – 'it's creepy beyond creepy'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
EDIT TO ADD: Please note the title of the thread, is the title of the Guardian article, I thought it was required by T&C (sorry), my opinion is at the very end

Here is an article from the Guardian, take a moment to read it, this goes beyond being facetious.

Sexual harassment in virtual reality feels all too real – 'it's creepy beyond creepy'

Striding through the snow-covered fortress, shooting zombies with her bow and arrow, Jordan Belamire felt like a god – right up until the moment someone named BigBro442 decided to “virtually rub [her] chest” and make her feel like just another “powerless woman”. “Even when I turned away from him, he chased me around, making grabbing and pinching motions near my chest,” she wrote in a Medium post of her experience playing QuiVR, a virtual reality game. “Emboldened, he even shoved his hand toward my virtual crotch and began rubbing.”

Okay now check out the following two links the first one takes you to the steam website where this game is avalaible for early release, the second link takes you to steamcharts which gives you the stats on how the game has been accessed and used.

QuiVR on Steam

QuiVR Stats

Having followed my suggestions it should be very obvious about the quality of the journalism in the article published by the Guardian, when did this UK based mainstream news publisher turn into such a sensationalist, deceitful rag?

Basically 3 individuals lied here, the individual who claimed the experience, the journalist who wrote it up and the publisher of the game itself when they did not refute the claim (presumably because publicity is good for them no matter the context), all supported and published by the Guardian.

edit on 30-10-2016 by CatandtheHatchet because: to add disclaimer

edit on 30-10-2016 by CatandtheHatchet because: I messed up thread title due to ignorance - sorry

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Oh FFS, the SJWs have moved into VR too? Great.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CatandtheHatchet

Play single player then. And cut off your Internet, turn off your phone and don't watch TV because if that offends you, this world of communication isn't for you.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Someone trolled you in an online game?

Shocking.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
People like that are thoughtless and asinine. Deserve a swift and firm response. Yet I don't think it's healthy to be banning them outright or similar. I think ti's creepy to go too far. The more we try to legislate peace and order, the more we become like robots. How far will we go? When devices can read our thoughts, how many more years will it be before thoughts are controlled too? Look, I know law and order are necessary. Some plaeyrs have to be banned. Life is the same way. People have to be prosecuted sometimes. BUT when does law and order--stretched to its extremes--become tyranny? And when tyranny arrives, will we even be aware of it? I don't think we will be. We'll be robots and just like robots we can't think something we're not programmed to.

We're not all the same. Some of us can deal with it and some can't. Maybe it triggers them because they've experienced similar in RL. But here's the thing. I was bullied in childhood. I'm not lying to make a point. In online chats and evne some online games I've been harassed before. Yet I wasn't "triggered". I've never been consistently harassed because one thing I've learned is if you don't feed them they don't bite. Usually this just means being able to let go. It's inconvenient and frustrating sometimes, but you have to. Harassers feed on your inability to let go. The more you cry and scream, the more satisfaction they get from it. At heart, they're griefers. Your pleas are their victory. Sometimes you have to confront them AND let go. I'm not saying any of it's easy. Keep in mind not all griefers are teh same. Some of them only relent on confrontation. So you can't just walk away from these. They'll give chase. Running away is victory to them. So you have to stop and confront. You fight and then you let go. They move on. It's a lot harder in practice to do. This years of experience.
edit on 10/30/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

That is the quality of the article sure, its ideologically driven BS, its also incredibly incompetent.

Looking at the video of the game you see the character is just a floating helmet and hands one of which is holding a bow, the rest is empty space. Looking at the stats it show there has only been 1 concurrent player logged in, so BigBro442 is completely impossible.

Utter fiction

(post by Lysergic removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
nvm

edit on 30-10-2016 by CatandtheHatchet because: nvm

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

cheers

nevermind it must just be me

add:
Top KeK and all kudos to BigBro442 ,meh, this is the path
edit on 30-10-2016 by CatandtheHatchet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Add to that the established fact that many "girls" in gaming are actually boys in disguise and it gets even more creepy. Oh, dear, I guess that makes me a homophobe now. drat!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

If you look at the discussions there seems to be a lot of people playing it, so the story is possible if completely overblown

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It seems that f****** up th real world is not going to be enough for some people.

Reminds me of Dr Strangelove.. once the world was destroyed, the fight was then over who had the most mine shaft space.

The person complaining should be immediately committed to a mental institution for evaluation.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

They might be playing it now, but were they before the story hit the web, good publicity for the publisher and some hack get's to push their narrative

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The Guardian is the go to rag of the snowflake, default status victim generation. This low quality permanently offended tosh sheet was an instigator of the cry baby safe space dependent mentality and is one of its biggest enablers. It is managed and staffed by toxic ugly feminists and effeminate. spineless, sackless she men.
edit on 30-10-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

So a Dr Strangelove world it is

edit on 30-10-2016 by CatandtheHatchet because: spelling

edit on 30-10-2016 by CatandtheHatchet because: down my buzz

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Add to that the established fact that many "girls" in gaming are actually boys in disguise and it gets even more creepy. Oh, dear, I guess that makes me a homophobe now. drat!
I agree with this especially MMO's its a big thing blokes roleplaying girls hence why they are explained as Many Men Online Role-Playing Girls

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The "Guardian" is a tabloid. Nothing can be believed from that website. Find a more credible source or /thread.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
God I wanna slap this person.. Maybe cuddle. Maybe both?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

My point, as I said under the article was to highlight their lack of credibility (especially with this story).

Believe it or not the Guardian used to have a good reputation, perhaps its internet based incarnation metamorphosed it in to the UK version of gawker and buzzfeed. Or it has just been overrun with low capacity journos?
edit on 30-10-2016 by CatandtheHatchet because: has=as

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join