It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA’s gateway to deep space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I mentioned the Obama plan to expand throughout the Solar System:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now, it sems that NASA is making good on his promise and is moving forward with the plan by establishing a Deep-Space Habitat near the Moon to test out systems for people who would live in orbit or travel long distances in Space; a gateway to deep space...........

NASA plans to address its problem by parking a “deep space” habitat in a location near the Moon, which astronauts could visit and use to become acclimated to life beyond low-Earth orbit. President Obama mentioned deep space habitats earlier this month, when he reiterated his call for NASA to send humans to Mars. “I'm excited to announce that we are working with our commercial partners to build new habitats that can sustain and transport astronauts on long-duration missions in deep space,” Obama said.

This wasn’t really a new announcement, as NASA has been working on the habitat program for a couple of years. Nevertheless, before the president's mention, this NextSTEP program had received surprisingly little attention given its significance—it might be the most important contract NASA awards for next decade.

As Obama said, NASA has embarked upon a "Journey to Mars." While the plan may change to include lunar landings as a stepping stone to Mars, the space agency does intend to try and venture back into deep space for the first time since the Apollo program. Whatever destination it chooses, NASA's ambitions will begin with the deep space habitat, because it is an affordable first step, costing hundreds of millions or a few billion dollars initially, instead of multiple billions needed for a full-blown expedition to the Moon's surface, Mars or elsewhere in deep space. "This is the right next step," Simon said. "We need to understand how to live in deep space, how to live off of our planet." The first habitat launched in the 2020s won’t be exactly the same as the vehicle NASA eventually sends to Mars. Rather, it will serve as a prototype to help the space agency understand the capabilities, technologies, and systems needed for astronauts to survive for long periods in deep space. Some of those systems can be tested on the ground or the existing space station, but others can only be tested further from Earth.

This venture is part of the Next step program initiated by NASA:
www.nasa.gov...

NextSTEP is a public-private partnership model that seeks commercial development of deep space exploration capabilities to support more extensive human space flight missions in the Proving Ground around and beyond cislunar space—the space near Earth that extends just beyond the moon.

So far, NASA has partnered with 6 companies in this effort: Bigelow Aerospace, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Orbital ATK, Sierra Nevada Corporation, and NanoRacks. This is great, ATS! I am very excited at this news, even with all of the morbidity we have in the world today; I'm still excited for the future..! This is an ambitious plan..can US aerospace companies pull this off alone, or should this be more of a global effort? What does ATS think?

arstechnica.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Mr. Obama should know that man has been on Mars since at least the 1960s, which I'm sure we'll find out if Disclosure occurs anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

The idea, of course, has pretty strong advantages. Since the Moon's gravitational field is less strong than Earth, then it's easier to launch deep-space probes - or even missions - from the Moon.

However, I suspect there's also an economical motive behind this. Asteroids are sources of precious elements, which many corporations are eager to mine. If NASA is successful, the "gateway" would become a very lucrative space port, enabling corporations to launch cheaper mining missions (saving on fuel and on structural material) in exchange, no doubt, for a small fee which would benefit NASA.

Just speculating, of course.

Good post, S+F!

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Tman2135
Don't think the POTUS is in the need to know circle....

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

The idea, of course, has pretty strong advantages. Since the Moon's gravitational field is less strong than Earth, then it's easier to launch deep-space probes - or even missions - from the Moon.

However, I suspect there's also an economical motive behind this. Asteroids are sources of precious elements, which many corporations are eager to mine. If NASA is successful, the "gateway" would become a very lucrative space port, enabling corporations to launch cheaper mining missions (saving on fuel and on structural material) in exchange, no doubt, for a small fee which would benefit NASA.

Just speculating, of course.

Good post, S+F!

Thanks...this is freakin' huge!!!!!!!!! I'd even go as far as to put this on par with the Moon announcement/landing.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tman2135
Mr. Obama should know that man has been on Mars since at least the 1960s, which I'm sure we'll find out if Disclosure occurs anytime soon.

I learned about FDR's granddaughter who makes the claim for a secret human presence on Mars. Some say she's crazy but maybe those who don't believe her are the crazy ones...?

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Ooooo !

I'm interested to see what kind of technology they come up with for artificial gravity... surely that would be a 'must have' for any long-term habitat in space ?

Looking forward to following the progress of this project.

This is bloody awesome news, thanks for sharing !

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Ooooo !

I'm interested to see what kind of technology they come up with for artificial gravity... surely that would be a 'must have' for any long-term habitat in space ?

Looking forward to following the progress of this project.

This is bloody awesome news, thanks for sharing !

Your welcome! Yes, this is HUGE news! However, there's no excitement from the press........why?

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Bad timing maybe ?

US elections pretty much take over everything media-wise, so until that's over and done with the news media will be preoccupied with all the election stuff.

I don't know... there really does need to be a better marketing strategy on this type of stuff to get people excited about space travel again.

A new "space race" per se ?

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Tman2135

Except there is absolutely no proof that Man has been on Mars short of a few crazy whack jobs that claim to be super soldiers that traveled there by some sort of star gate then fought bug aliens.

I mean its a wonderful notion that i wish were true but lets face it we have still to develop the technology to efficiently send a few astronauts and required payload in Mars direction.

top topics

join