It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Spaghetti Sauce Recipes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Been visiting the site again and noticed this forum. Food is a great common interest for almost everyone. As a Wannabe Chef from way back I would like to share a recipe or two and try yours as well. I figure there’s a lot of Spaghetti Sauce Recipes out there. Let’s see what you got. I will start with mine.
MY BEST SPAGHETTI MEAT SAUCE
This is a recipe I have developed and used for over 2 decades. It is one of my kid’s favorites, and has fed my household and guests many, many times. It is fairly easy to make and results in a lot of thick, meaty, and flavor rich sauce.

This recipe will feed 12-15 people depending on appetites. It freezes very well. When my house was full I used to make it about once a month and vacuum seal the leftovers for quick meals. I would usually makeup a few 3-4 potion bags of sauce and left over noodles, and seal the remaining sauce by itself.

For those looking for a smaller recipe you should be able to half this or cut it down proportionately, but, I have to admit I’ve never tried.

INGREDIENTS:
5 lbs Ground Beef or Chuck
1 lb Italian Sausage
3-4 28 Ounce Cans Diced Tomatoes
6-8 6 Ounce Cans Tomato Paste (I like Contadina Brand with Italian Herbs or Basil/Garlic)
10-12 Ounces Minced Garlic (the kind that’s packed in liquid in a screw top glass or plastic container)
4-6 Medium Onions (Chopped)
1 2 Ounce Container “Mrs. Dash” Tomato Basil Garlic Seasoning Blend
2TBS Oregano
2 TBS-1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Bottle Red Wine (Merlot, Cabernet, or Chianti)

Spaghetti Noodles: At least 3 ounces dry noodles per person to be served.
According to the manufacturers 1-16 oz. Box or Package of Spaghetti Noodles yields 8 servings, never worked that way in my house. I usually just cook a whole box and mix and seal what’s left with sauce.

EQUIPMENT:
16 Quart Soup Pot (for Sauce)
12 or 16 Quart Stock Pot (for Noodles)
12 Inch Skillet or Sauté Pan
Sturdy Long Handled Spoon for Stirring
Ladle for Serving
Note: In my mind a Stock Pot is for cooking liquid Soups and Stews, and Soup Pot is a Stock Pot with a more substantial bottom that is more suitable to brown or braise meat, in addition to cooking liquid Soups and Stews.

PREPARATION:
Ground Beef: Brown the Ground Beef in the Soup Pot.
Italian Sausage: Slice the Italian Sausage in 1/2 inch chunks and brown in Skillet. Once the sausage is browned I usually chop it into smaller pieces. Put the Beef and Sausage in a large colander or strainer over the sink to drain. I also like to put a little of the chopped sausage and beef back in the skillet and continue browning until crisp, it adds a little texture to the sauce.
After cooking the meat, leave the skillet as is don’t clean it yet.

Onions: Chop or dice the onions and sauté with a little olive oil (I like to sauté them in the skillet I used for the Italian Sausage it will add a little flavor.

Garlic: Once the onions start to caramelize add the Minced Garlic to the pan and continue to sauté for a few minutes then remove from heat.

Sauce: Empty the Diced Tomatoes with the juice into the Soup Pan, and heat at Medium or Med-High. Stir in the Tomato Paste. Add most of the bottle of red wine, the sautéed onions and garlic and keep stirring. Gradually stir in the “Mrs. Dash” Tomato Basil Garlic Seasoning Blend, Oregano, and Sugar, and, keep stirring.
Add heat to the sauce until it begins to bubble (somewhere between a low boil and a simmer), and keep stirring. The Diced Tomatoes in their juice and Tomato Paste will thicken nicely.
Add the Meat and Sausage, reduce heat, cover and simmer on low, stirring regularly to prevent sticking, be sure to monitor the heat and scrape the bottom as the meat will tend to settle and stick (you’ve come too far to burn it now). The sauce is now ready to eat. But the longer it cooks the more the flavor will bloom. If you start the noodles now you should have a nice robust sauce by the time they are done. As for the unused wine, either add to the pot or the chef depending on preference, or it may be time to uncork another bottle.

Noodles: Fill the other Stew Pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a good boil. Add a splash of Olive Oil, 1 tsp salt, and the noodles and cook according to instructions on box (usually 8-10 minutes). Start testing noodles at 8 minutes (Al Dente-firm not crunchy or too soft is perfect). Timing is everything, when the texture is right of even just before, just before, remove from heat, pause to let the boiling stop, and CAREFULLY pour contents of pot into colander over the sink. Please be very careful with the recently boiling water (very dangerous). Spray a little cold water on the noodles and toss, (don’t rinse) to stop them cooking.

Serve Noodles with sauce, bread, and a salad.

NOTES:
Meat and Sausage: Leaner Meats like Ground Sirloin are nice, but, I like the flavor of plain Ground Meat or Chuck. You can also leave the Italian Sausage out, but I think it really adds to the flavor.

Herbs and Spices: I have found that “Mrs. Dash” has some excellent seasonings and have used them for many years. Her Tomato Basil Garlic Seasoning Blend is perfect for spaghetti sauce. The Grocery Store Spice Rack also has nice blends of Italian Seasonings you can experiment with. Naturally, Fresh Basil and/or Oregano will enhance the flavor, as will using fresh cloves of garlic, but all that chopping is a lot of work.

Tomatoes and Paste: I think the secret to this sauce is using diced tomatoes and tomato Paste rather than canned tomato sauce, it results in a thicker, richer sauce. You can experiment with the ratios of diced tomatoes to tomato paste to get your preferred consistency. There is nothing wrong with plain generic diced tomatoes and tomato paste. I tried the kind seasoned with Garlic, Basil, and Italian Herbs a while back, and try to mix at least a few cans of seasoned paste with the plain each time I make it.

Wine: Of course, the Wine is not absolutely essential, those who prefer an alcohol free sauce can easily substitute a like quantity of water. They say the alcohol evaporates during cooking anyway, to each his or her own. I personally think it adds flavor. Any inexpensive red wine will do, I like Merlot, but Chianti is probably better.

Lasagna: This Sauce is also wonderful in Lasagna, just layer with Lasagna Noodles, Ricotta Cheese, Sauce, Shredded Mozzarella, and Parmesan. I will add my recipe at a later date.

Chili Being a Good Texan, I also have a recipe for chili, coincidentally it’s the same base as my Spaghetti Meat Sauce. Just substitute Bratwurst for the Sausage, Cumin, Chili Powder, Paprika and Red Pepper for the Italian Seasonings, and a couple bottles of Shiner Bock for the Wine.

Hope you enjoy.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: avenger6143

Excellent sounds good!

The one thing i always think of when i see a post about this is that Spaghetti God Cult.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Where do I sign up.
a reply to: Encryptor

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Is 12 ounces of garlic a typo or how much you really use? That's 1 1/2 cups of garlic, or approximately 72 minced cloves.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I have the lazy version i made up on a Sunday when clearing out my fridge.

Bacon as you like sliced in pieces, thin slices or a piece you cut your self.

A package of Small smoked sausages, cut in pieces, don't use those from a can if you can avoid it.

1/2 kg of minced beef.

Can of sliced tomatoes.

One glass of salsa, this is the secret ingredient and give the dish it's signature.

1/2 a liter of cream.

Chili, fresh and as much as you please

Garlic as you please.

Basil and oregano, dried works fine, ad to the sauce when the pasta is done.

A little bit of paprica, not to much but it's your taste.

Combine in a pot in that order.

Served best with pasta screws.

edit on 23-10-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
That's a little less than 1/3 of a 32 oz jar it includes the liquid. Sorry for the confusion.
a reply to: Atsbhct

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Sounds delicious!

My favorite line...

Add most of the bottle of red wine,

except for the glasses I've drank!

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: avenger6143
Best Spaghetti Sauce Recipes

Hahaha! Good thread!
I've been making 'spaghetti sauce' for well over 50 years.
I'm afraid that I cannot offer a recipe, as every batch is different.
I'm always trying to improve on the last batch...
(I can offer my Boopsie Goddess nothing less! *__- )

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I love the recipe from the godfather...

Brown garlic in olive oil. Add three parts diced tomatoes, two parts tomato sauce, one part tomato paste. Cup of sugar. Dash of wine. Add meats. Then simmer for two hours. Pout over noodles. Eat.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Is 12 ounces of garlic a typo or how much you really use? That's 1 1/2 cups of garlic, or approximately 72 minced cloves.

I was wondering how many people this will feed, a convention center. Thats a huge amount of everything.

If I cooked that, I'd be fed for the rest of my life. well maybe till tuesday, but still...

nothing wrong with the amount of garlic though

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Here's a Bolognese sauce I have used both professionally and at home:
    2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
    4 celery stalks finely chopped
    2 medium yellow onion finely chopped
    5 cloves of garlic sliced
    1 pound ground veal
    1 pound ground pork
    1/4 pound pancetta, ground
    16 ounces tomato paste
    1 cup dry white wine
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme
    1 pinch red pepper
    salt and pepper to taste

In a heavy saucepan heat the oil over medium heat and then add the onions, celery and carrot and sweat until translucent, roughly 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the meat and stir into the soffritto until browned. Add the thyme, wine, milk and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until thickened, about 1 1/2 hours. Season with salt and pepper and serve over your favorite pasta. Top with grated parmesan cheese and a drizzle of high quality oil.

edit on 23-10-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Every year I plant a garden with the idea I am going to do 4 things.

1. Feed myself over the year with my yummy canned (jarred actually) goods.
2. Making my homemade Atomic Baby Dill Pickles.
3. Make a year supply of hot sauces, and powders.
4. Make a year supply of Spaghetti Sauce - just add meat when making it.

And I am always amazed at other peoples spaghetti sauce. Because. To get that unique spaghetti sauce flavor.. the tang that makes spaghetti sauce spaghetti sauce and dramatically different from red sauce in Lasagna, or the red sauce in Ravioli, is one thing and 1 thing only...

The Bell Pepper... Green is what I use.

Believe it or not. Green Bell Pepper are the second most used ingredient. In commercial makers they use Green Pepper Powder. For ease of use at home I just make a green pepper puree by processing my peppers.

There is an oil thing that goes on between the Green Bell Pepper and the Tomato.

Of course my recipes looks almost like all the others... lots of minced veggies and savory spices... but... you have to put in the Green Pepper... and that green pepper needs to cook down, chunks don't work the same... if the Peppers can be seen it will not work the same way. That is why I make a green pepper puree first...

Kinda like Too-ti's deal with the Garlic on 'Goodfella's'... so thin it liquidizes.

Also, make the sauce in Caste Iron - adds more umami.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I use the hot Italian sausages without hamburger. Sometimes a combo of chicken thighs and baby clams. Find hamburger too gritty.

I like using a combination of classico speghetti sauce in the jars, usually the mushroom types, with Classico Hunts, thick and rich. Used to use the paste, but perfected our taste over the years, so a blend of those. Can add crushed tomatoes.

About a tbsp of sugar.

My favorite is whole canned mushrooms. Love fresh too, but can sit down and eat a can or two of the canned, they're so delightful to me. So I would put in 3 cans of mushrooms, this is for a large pot.

Either organic garlic dried flakes or the purple russian garlic cloves, probably at least 4 crushed and diced.

Purple onion.

Peppers green bell, or red, yellow. Banana peppers, semi hot if possible. There is already hot Italian in it, usually, and I can add some hot spice to mine after, half of us like it zesty and half don't.

Zucchini diced.

Celery.

Celery Seasoning. I only like the fresh herb basil not the dried, so tend to keep it usually only oregano, garlic, celery seed and salt with fresh ground pepper. Lots of oregano, in a huge pot probably 2 tbps or more, but gradually so its always really smooth tasting.

Lots of jars and cans of the tomato sauce, we like it to be very saucy.

Perfecto.

Like freshly grated cheese on top with the parmesan and if possible add some ripe olives to the sauce.
edit on 23-10-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Great recipes guys, i prefer fresh roma tomatoes when in season, a mix of porc, ground beef, ground turkey, spicy italian sausages, a dry red wine, also porto wine not the fancy stuff, to add some sweetness.

I cut my veggies very fine, and voila love is ready to be eaten.

edit on 23-10-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Tomato Sauce really never came across as recipe type thing to me. Its like bbq sauce....you just kinda start throwing it together in layers. Do it often enough you develop a routine that is somewhat consistent and distills the best flavors you've had access to.

What its used for matters, too. Using it for lasagna? Make the sauce slightly thinner with more chunks. Using it to make a russian vodka sauce? completely different process. Going on penne and more robust pasta? Better make it thicker so it'll try to stick a little.

One thing I like to do for italian style sauce is to make my own sausage with a 50/50 beef/pork blend. Sometimes Ill use lamb instead of beef, but i prefer beef. I like to make mine a midpoint between a hot and a sweet. But maybe 10 minutes in the mixer with a bread hook gives it a great texture. Just give it a good hand mix first. You can find standard italian sausage recipes online. Again, i don't have a recipe and just kinda feel it out. I started with the internet and just kinda went from there over the years.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I think out of all the recipes I've posted on here this is the one I won't share lol. It takes almost two days because I make it from scratch with a ton of fresh tomatoes and veggies. I do cook it in a crock pot, oh it smells so good in my house when I make it.

I like your recipe. It sounds good. I always like trying other people's recipes, you never know which ones you will incorporate into your own cooking!

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
For those of you who add sugar to your tomato sauces, try replacing it with finely shredded carrot instead.

Shredded carrot not only adds a nice sweetness to the sauce that cuts out the acidity of the tomatoes (like sugar does), but it also actually prolongs the storage life of your canned tomato sauces way better than white or brown sugars.

Just a little FYI for those interested.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

For those of you who add sugar to your tomato sauces, try replacing it with finely shredded carrot instead.

Not to get technical, but I am going to get technical. Neither carrots or sugar are going to lower the acidity of a tomato-based sauce although I do prefer to use carrots in my sauce as a natural sweetener as opposed to sugar.

Acid can only be neutralized by a base, so something like baking soda would work but putting baking soda in your sauce is not what I would consider optimal. Most canned tomatoes are going to be a bit more acidic than fresh tomatoes which, the riper they get, the less acidic they become. By blanching very ripe tomatoes and removing the skins and then the seeds you will also help curt down on the acidity. There really is no 'trick' to lowering acidity, it involves using very fresh ingredients and a good deal of prep work.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You're right.

I actually meant cutting out the "twang" of the tomato sauce, rather than the actual citric acidity levels.

... and yes, "twang" is a formal scientific term often used in academic circles.

My grandpappy told me so.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
I actually meant cutting out the "twang" of the tomato sauce, rather than the actual citric acidity levels.

I agree, and the use of carrots as a natural sweetener (or onions) is what I would recommended over adding sugar which is something I would not add to any tomato sauce.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join