It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you know that the PS4 now supports VR game play?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
On October 13th Sony Officially released the PS VR to the public.

www.playstation.com...

Being interested in this type of thing ever since I watched Lawnmower Man...lol, I have been interested in this type of tech becoming mainstream. It supports gaming and videos, and there are plans for it to eventually support live events at some point in time (concerts, sporting events and so on). I have used a Samsung Gear but this VR platform is much more advanced.

While I know a fair number of you prefer the ultimate VR experience known as Lucid Dreaming, this version is pretty fun.
On to a few experiences I have had so far since picking one up.

Games:

Resident Evil Demo "Kitchen" - I don't scare easy, but it is hard to not flinch or pull away when something really ugly is waving a knife in your face. I let a buddy try it out, because he loves horror and he "noped TFO" within the first 2 minutes of gameplay saying he couldn't wait to tell his wife about it. The feeling of being in a kitchen, tied up, with your fellow officer trying to save you while some horror is stalking you is extremely immersive. You literally can look all around you 360 degrees and items are in 3d.

Eve Valkryie - Can you say the most amazing Wing Commader type feeling ever? Take Eve Online and put yourself literally into the game. While it is not on that scale of gameplay, the dogfighting is hectic and lots of fun. The cockpit is great, you find yourself looking to your left and right to track enemies, reading your dispays, and really working with your team to destroy your foes, PVP or AI. Top notch experience if you ever wanted to go "Last Star Fighter" on someone.

Battle Zone - This is a classic game and it fits VR so well. Team based game against AI only. Once again the cockpit is what makes this so cool. Enemies again flank and fly over you so while you watch your radar, you are also physically looking to your left/right and above when the fighting becomes intense.

Allumette - Wonderful 3d animation about a little girl and her experiences that takes place in front of you in a floating cloud city. Again, you can pivot your head to look in every direction and often find things going on behind the scenes that you would not notice if you stayed focus on the main character. You can even push through walls as if you were a ghost watching the scenes as they happen.

You can catch Demos at your local Best Buy or Game store just be sure to check the PS website to see where they are being offered. There are plenty of other games available, and the VR Playroom simply looks amazing while incorporating others into a game locally even without a VR headset. Youtube does not convey the full message when investigating the PSVR, if you really want to see what it is all about, go try it in person.

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I got mine on the 13th. It's fantastic!
I've read some crappy reviews with people saying that the tracking is bad. This is only true if using a standard controller and turn it so the camera cant detect the light at the front. Such as shooting evil clowns to the side of you. The tracking is perfect with the move controller.
If anyone is thinking about one for xmas, do it!

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: QuietSpeech

I want to like VR but it still seems more gimmick/niche than full on experience

Jim Sterling sums up VR pretty well in its current state

I've tried current gen of Vive & Rift and I have to agree with Jim as it hasn't changed much since the VR arcade I tried back in the 90's that was randomly in my local Woolworths

Hopefully people like yourself willing to shell out on it will aid in the improvement of the experience and as the Vive and Rift reach further generations it will be greatly improved to become a lot more accessible in terms of tech & cost as well as a better catalogue of games which go beyond what you could call tech demo's

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Or instead, if you like freedom and not being locked into a console and sony:

www.osvr.org...

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
That is always an option, PC or PS4 pick your poison, this just happened to be a PSVR reveal as I had not seen one posted.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: QuietSpeech

I have one, too. There are a lot of things to like about it. But, it's not perfect. The images are not HD. The screen 'drifts', and requires resetting, (which is done with a push of a button on the hand held controller easily enough, but it's still a drag, although after some additional adjustments, the drifting has been significantly reduced). And, some of the games/'experiences' have caused some motion sickness. But, I'm hopeful that will fade as I get more accustomed.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I've had a HTC Vive for about five months now and, honestly, after the first week or two passed, it's mostly been hanging on a wall hook, untouched. I really enjoyed using it - but the games all come across as short tech demos to me. A few minutes of "WOW" that fades rather quickly.

Once I enjoyed letting all of my friends and family try it out, watching and getting a kick out of their reactions? My interest quickly waned.

I've been watching the PSVR somewhat closely with the hopes that Sony's market saturation might lead to some substantial game development and hoping that some of those games might end up being cross platform. I'm still hoping...

I'm also excited that Fallout 4 - the full game - is supposed to be in development for VR.

However I don't think that I would personally get hyped about PS based VR. At least not with anything less than a PS4 Pro. With VR frame rates really do matter and are the difference between immersion and projectile vomiting from VR motion sickness - especially with the PSVR having a lower resolution than it's bigger brothers ( Rift and Vive ) - is a short journey.

My PC is pretty strong - a gift from AMD's in house VR guru... and even with it's beefy specs - some of the software leaves me woozy.

Jim Sterling discussed the motion sickness issue in his video I believe ( if memory serves... I watched it a few days ago ).

Still, having rambled and voiced those concerns... I really do hope that VR isn't seen as a fad - like home 3D TV - and that it keeps evolving. The PS4 Pro is *just* on the cusp of being beefy enough to run VR well. The Xbox Scorpio will ostensibly be well into the specs based comfort zone. Gaming PC's, obviously, will also continue to push that bleeding edge.

It could all lead to something really, really incredible. My fingers are crossed.
edit on 10/20/16 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/20/16 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: QuietSpeech
That is always an option, PC or PS4 pick your poison, this just happened to be a PSVR reveal as I had not seen one posted.

This has been in the works for years, they had pre-orders starting at the beginning of the year pretty much everyone who has a PS4 or is even mildly interesting in gaming knows about PSVR. Hell its been plastered all over my PSN account for months.

I

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

The issue for me is the cost of the headset is almost the same as the stand alone PS4 Console. IMO the other issue is PS4 game developers lack the imagination to make the most of the opportunities available. A WW1 or WW2 realistic flight sim could be great if a joystick was thrown in. A WW2 submarine or another naval sim could become doable for the first time. Think of glancing around to see if a enemy fighter is on your tail or look through a periscope and see a destroyer bearing down on you . Alternatively SimCity could be taken down to the street level.

top topics

join