It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecuador: We have 'temporarily restricted' Assange's internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

QUITO, Ecuador (AP) — Ecuador's government acknowledged on Tuesday that it cut off WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's internet access at its embassy in London after the whistleblowing site published a trove of damaging emails from Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign.

The foreign ministry said that while it stands by its 2012 decision to grant Assange asylum based on legitimate concerns he faces political persecution, it respects other nations' sovereignty and doesn't interfere or support any candidate in foreign elections.

"The decision to make this information public is the exclusive responsibility of the WikiLeaks organization," the foreign ministry said in a statement.

I just thought it was funny at first they said

www.aol.co.uk...

"We don't respond to speculation circulating on Twitter.
"Ecuador will continue to protect Julian Assange and uphold the political asylum granted to him in 2012."

All while knowing they intentionally cut his internet for releasing things that were damaging to Clinton.
Everyone wants to paint him as some prop for trump now but those same people didn't have a problem when he was releasing things on Bush
edit on 19-10-2016 by Lice000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
They may be damaging to Clinton but at the end of the day manipulation of a US election isn't what Ecuador signed up for.

Assange is a user.

I'd kick him out and tell him release whatever he likes.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
They may be damaging to Clinton but at the end of the day manipulation of a US election isn't what Ecuador signed up for.

Assange is a user.

That is exactly what they signed up for, they granted him asylum from political persecution and they knew who he was. Its not like they let Mr.Rodgers and then he turned into some kind of activist. What did they expect him to do?

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Lice000

Yah, fine dividing line between granting asylum and providing a soapbox.

I wonder what the US state department told Ecuador to make them muzzle him till after the election?

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Imagine being stuck, literally, on a planet...as a country...and having to deal with a bully that eventually gets it's way because weapons, propaganda, money, death?

It really is as simple as that.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Assange is a user.

Right, reporting crimes and whistle-blowing is morally wrong during election season. I suppose we should wait until Clinton is elected to start thinking about the open murder plot she stated as "can't we just drone assange" (aka "can't we just execute him without a trial for his expressions). The trail of dead bodies Clinton has left behind are proof that Assange is a bad person... I'll let you explain how I have not figured that out yet... but I guess its because he has released documents on them.

But seriously, I'm fine, totally fine, with someone reporting a criminal even if they may avoid reporting criminals they have better relationships with or who are not involved in an election. Apparently running for office to you means a get-out-of-jail free card. Sorry, you are wrong, and its just so obvious to any free thinker.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lice000

QUITO, Ecuador (AP) — Ecuador's government acknowledged on Tuesday that it cut off WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's internet access at its embassy in London after the whistleblowing site published a trove of damaging emails from Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign.

The foreign ministry said that while it stands by its 2012 decision to grant Assange asylum based on legitimate concerns he faces political persecution, it respects other nations' sovereignty and doesn't interfere or support any candidate in foreign elections.

"The decision to make this information public is the exclusive responsibility of the WikiLeaks organization," the foreign ministry said in a statement.

I just thought it was funny at first they said

www.aol.co.uk...

"We don't respond to speculation circulating on Twitter.
"Ecuador will continue to protect Julian Assange and uphold the political asylum granted to him in 2012."

All while knowing they intentionally cut his internet for releasing things that were damaging to Clinton.
Everyone wants to paint him as some prop for trump now but those same people didn't have a problem when he was releasing things on Bush

Pretty sad, but regardless, it isn't like Assange was the one and only doing the releases from the embassy. This won't stop the flow of info, just the ease of access to him by his team.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I am certain Assange is saying, "they killed my internets! Uggghhh!!! They got me good this time."

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Assange is a user.

Alex Jones claims credit for asking him to report more on Clinton. Assange did exactly that whether or not it was because he was asked to. It could be said that is asking for a political favor as Jones. Or, perhaps Jones is concerned with people who commit crimes on a regular basis and want them behind bars. There is that too. But I guess by your work we must assume Assanges motivations are bad. Because assuming motivations works so well and makes everything great. Right?

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

BS, in a city the size of London, especially where the Ecuadorian embassy is located there are plenty of free WiFi hotspots, also, even though Assange is (apparently, not confirmed recently) holed up there, Wikileaks is not run from there or by him so it would make no difference if the only access he had was the fibre optics to the building

Something is playing in the background about this but, it ain't internet access issues

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: fractal5

lol yeah...
In 1995 i asked Alex Jones to act like a nut-job extremist and to say absolutely anything to get attention and support. Everything he has done since then has been a political favor to me.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
And they accused him of pedophilia right after his internet access got restricted. Now he can't defend himself, how convenient.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I am hoping that Trump will win and offer him asylum in the U.S.

Assange has risked his life to show people the truth about the evils done by corporations, governments & their contractors. And the best part is the truth comes from their own emails & documents. Let's face it, the DNC is using the same methods to try to smear Trump. It is okay for them to do it, but not others. The DNC is completely morally bankrupt because it is made up of morally bankrupt people. Democrats being angry with Assange are the same as a wife who is mad at her best friend for telling her that her husband is cheating on her.

Sal

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Revealing the lies, cheating, corruption of the Hillary campaign was hurting her chances of getting the crown.

So they had to silence the truth.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: fractal5

While reporting from a foreign country gets them in it...report any "crimes" after you kick him out of the country....they want no part....'dont blame them.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Ecuador is likely worried that if Hillary does get in she would force a sudden regime change in Ecuador.

They are just keeping there heads above water economy and political wise and have done a lot in establishing stability within there borders. It would be very easy for a pissed off Clinton to turn them into the next Venezuela.

One email to the right person and she could sink Ecaudor

edit on 19-10-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Yah, fine dividing line between granting asylum and providing a soapbox.

I wonder what the US state department told Ecuador to make them muzzle him till after the election?
The us has enormous power, from economic to military. I'm sure they are searching for leverage over Ecuador. The truth is we can and have ruined and removed countless regimes.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Ecuador is likely worried that if Hillary does get in she would force a sudden regime change in Ecuador.

They are just keeping there heads above water economy and political wise and have done a lot in establishing stability within there borders. It would be very easy for a pissed off Clinton to turn them into the next Venezuela.

One email to the right person and she could sink Ecaudor
It's a justified fear. Over the past 100 years, the Us has dominated Latin America, including as you know regime changing democracies and installing dictators.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Exactly.

Ecuador are already JUST getting over the US interfering from the past decades.
The Colombian mess spilled over there borders and caused trouble for a while.

They know full well the CIA can # things up for them again with little effort.

Wont take much for a bunch of armed partaisan and cartel groups to suddenly spring up and start wrecking havoc.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lice000

Assange is a user.

That is exactly what they signed up for, they granted him asylum from political persecution and they knew who he was. Its not like they let Mr.Rodgers and then he turned into some kind of activist. What did they expect him to do?

He's not been granted asylum from political persecution and I assume you know that is a straight out lie. He's hiding there to escape from answering questions about an alleged sexual offence. If he is sending or being involved in sending material regarding one election nominee in another country using their network then it would be seen as them stating their political opinion on who should be voted US president. They have decided not to be seen as doing that.

................................ either that or they got sick of seeing he was constantly accessing 'dating' sites using the Ecuadorian embassy network and they may have strict procedures prohibiting that, but what do I know?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join