It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When should we help strangers in their time of need?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: SallieSunshine
The truth about this is that it can be scary for a woman to help a man because she is almost always going to be smaller and weaker...even a small man carries his strength in his arms and shoulders and is closer to being the equal to man in a fight than a woman who is equal size of the man.

Sal

a reply to: InTheLight

Yet, his wife did not step forward to help, so, they both chose to 'do nothing'.

Phoning the police is all that need be done.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
In this case, I don't know that the wife didn't call the police. But I know the husband didn't because he told me he didn't do anything to help the man.

Sal

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SallieSunshine
In this case, I don't know that the wife didn't call the police. But I know the husband didn't because he told me he didn't do anything to help the man.

Sal

Ultimately, we all have to live with the decisions we make in life.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Then you and I are a lot alike. Being a 1st Responder, DHS and FEMA, and for my city plus search and rescue...whatever..I help when I can, if I can. If someone there has more ability than me...and they got it? Fine...

People I think misunderstand the significance of being on scene when no one else is. We arent obligated or forced to help or do cpr, use the A.E.D. or stop the flow of blood...whatever. If youre not comfortable...dont do it.

My forte in disaster response is in Emergency Medical Triage...Im good, I love it...and Im quick and accurate to assess injuries and severity...I also have a license to carry...but folks mistakenly believe we all tend to think like police...and we're not.

Its more about when NOT to use it...as opposed to what a lot of folks think. Wild, wild west..."Im gonna stop this robbery with my gun!" Nope. Same with medical emergencies.

We do what we can, when we can and if we can within the limits of our training. Im sure you dont hesitate either....to us both...its becomes second nature, and for that instance....I forget all about myself...

But thats just me.....thanks for the reply...and your instruction to your community.

Best....MS
EMT/ERT 1st Responder
BDLS/ADLS
FEMA, Region 2 South
Wayne County, MIchigan
edit on 19-10-2016 by mysterioustranger because: spelling..damn!

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have always helped if I could. That is the standard I live by. It doesn't have to be life-threatening, although I have saved lives.

It's this simple: You see a need that you can fulfill, do it. It costs you nothing and gains you everything, if you believe in karma. I believe that if you do good things with an expectation of payback, that it doesn't happen, so I think a person must do good for others simply because they are there.

Mahatma Gandhi said, "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Surely that extends toward the human animals as well.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: angeldoll

Comfort just ain't what I do very well.

Although, when someone is in emotional shock....being present may be as much comfort as they are able to recieve. A hand to hold is easy to provide.

I've had an experience where communication was impossible anyway, so all I could provide was a hand to hold. They didn't die, but it was a rather scary wreck to witness. Im trained in stuff like CPR, but beyond that, nada. Amazingly, in any wreck I've witnessed, there's always someone with training that comes along shortly. Even out here in the sticks where people are more sparse.

Maybe you are better at it than you think.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Thanks and I agree wholeheartedly with your statements.
I suppose I come across as not willing to help on any level and that's just not the case.

I think you get where I'm coming from and it is all I have to offer. At the moment.

Thanks for your contribution and like I say, someday maybe I can offer more...not today.

It does become second nature. Triage is primary and then secondary assessments...it can be difficult to morph into that mode but it is necessary and we do what we can, like you said. We do what we can.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SallieSunshine

Absolutely and you are 100% correct.

I just feel that at this time in my life, my obligation is to my girls...

I will do whatever I need to save someone's life as long as it does NOT put my life in jeopardy.

Again, if that comes across as heartless...I don't know what to say. You or anyone else I don't know mean little to me (when compared to them) and I will NOT leave/abandon them to save someone else...

IMO, folks that say that they would give up their life for someone they don't know or care about to allow that stranger to live and they die either watch too much TV or don't truly think about those they are leaving behind. Sure, you'll be a hero for a second...then you will be forgotten and those you leave behind will have to manage without you.

Listen, if you are in a situation where there are bullets flying and you jump in front of someone else to take the hit...okay, commendable. Now, what happens to your family? Butterfly effect?

Who's going to raise/support your children, the State? Your family?

Not *directed at you, Sallie...just in general...

edit on 19-10-2016 by TNMockingbird because: *

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Hey, you did good here. Knowledge and discussion is a good thing. It puts it out there. And listen...whatever you can do in an emergency...stay with someone until help gets there...do cpr if you can...or dont. Its up to you. No one will begrudge you because you didnt. Its ok.

Me? I do whatever..carry, treat, cpr, even defend with firearm someones life(God I hope I never HAVE to)... whatever...but if for some reason I dont, cant or freak out? Its ok...

We learn in disaster training to do what you can, if you can, for how long you can...even if its just running for help. Thats something! And here's a scenario to consider I never forgot:

You get to a scene...one person is laying holding their broken arm moaning, another is lying face down-not moving- breathing is slowing and labored and they are bleeding out...another right in front has a bookcase on them and is saying "Help me, help me"! Who do you help 1st?

Tough one, answer is practical. You get the "walking wounded" who can come to the sound of your voice to come TO you. You tell the trapped victim under the bookcase help is coming. The bleeding out one...check pulse and breathing...and you move on...he's not going to make it...you have to keep moving. Hard thing.

We have to...have to...do the greatest good for the most amount of people. And if we tried to get the bookcase off that victim and it fell on US? Then we'd be hurt and wouldnt be able to get help, rt?

You know? I carry $1 store stuffed animals in my car in case I come up on a car accident with kids. It will take their minds off perhaps severely injured parents or brothers and sisters...even forget their own injuries for a minute.

Do the best you can, and the greater good for the most amount of people. You can just BE there until help arrives. Thats important too...

Thanks for bringing this up, and letting me address it!

Best....MS
1st Responder

edit on 19-10-2016 by mysterioustranger because: adding an "f"

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: droid56

You have to measure the situation. If you can lend yourself as a witness to a crime or injustice, take the inconvenience and do it.

If you see a bum and you dont feel like giving, screw it. Maybe you do.

If you see a disabled person get screwed out of priority seating, chew out the jerk playing bubble pop or gem crush or what ever crap on his phone in the seat.

Basically use your heart.

You dont need authority in life, only concensus when dealing with many others...and only sometimes.

Sonetimes just do what ever the F your heart tells you.

edit on 10 19 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
help that only requires your time is easy so do all you can in that area. But if it requires money be very careful. Too many sob stories out there trying to get your money. Avoid that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join