It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 things you don't actually need to keep in the fridge

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

bacon grease subs for butter wonderfully. its good for when you make grilled cheese, or a garlic bread, or in some scrambled eggs or refried beans. Anything mexican usually gets half bacon grease and half butter for the fat to cook in.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: soulwaxer

There are often little cracks in eggs that are unnoticeable, so I wouldn't risk that.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

All i know is it's common knowledge in Europe..

healthywildandfree.com...

healthybliss.net...

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Also, fresh eggs do not need to go in the fridge until after they are washed. Once they are washed they need to go in the fridge. We had chickens and there is a protective layer on the egg, we always kept our eggs on the counter. Also, butter is great in a butter bell thingy. I keep it on the counter all the time.

I never refrigerate hot sauce or bread. I knew someone who put peanut butter in the fridge, that was strange to me. It was near impossible to spread on bread without tearing the bread.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encryptor
Leaving Onions out of the fridge absorbs flu germs as told to me by a farmer.

Leaving them in the fridge would no doubt absorb from other foods as well much like baking soda does.

Friendly neighborhood health inspector here. This is an old wives tale. The original story was that a cut onion on the nightstand would turn black as it sucked up the illness. Complete fabrication.

Onions in their skin will keep best in a cool dry place, like potato, for quite a while.

Any greens, vegetables, and fruits, which haven't been cut will keep out of refrigeration. If you live in a cooler climate even a head of lettuce can be left out of refrigeration. The danger is when the cell walls are compromised. It introduces moisture and penetrates the skin. Most vegetative foods have a natural barrier to pathogens until cut.

Carrots and other tubers can also be out of refrigeration as long as they remain dry. Moisture is a real enemy as most pathogens require it to flourish.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I’m not sure if this is classified as a food so much as a food ingredient, but nonetheless, putting oils into the fridge tends to turn them into a stodgy, almost butter-spread-like consistency. This is more common with olive and coconut oils, which tend to solidify at cooler temperatures and take a long time to become liquid again. (Hint: If you do make this mistake, put the oil into the microwave for a quick burst to get the consistency back).

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

Some of the older fridges used to have a special butter compartment so you could set the temperature lower. So the nthe butter was always nice and soft.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Did you use real butter? Was it organic? Or was it some butter like substance? I've been leaving my butter (organic) out for many years, and it never has gone bad. Just curious if it's your butter rather than how it's stored that is the problem. Many oils, especially the bad kind, do go rancid rather quickly after being opened. So if you are using a "healthy" margarine or something with lots of fillers, that may be why. a reply to: Tjoran

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join