It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dad Records Video Telling Son: "Mommy died last night."

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You don't have to see a video like this... plenty of other real life examples to drive home the point.

Not many better examples than how drug abuse affects the children.

Wait a sec, when it comes to the war on terror they show children bleeding and dying, the war against guns, for the children.

But show some kid sad his mother died... how conditioned are we?

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You have a solid gold point there.

Why is it that we can see images of babies being pulled from wreckage, nearly drowning or actually drowning at sea during an escape attempt from hell, and cooped up in asylum shelters, but we cannot be shown the agony of a boy whose mother died because she had no bloody willpower or wits about her?

You know, human beings have an advantage over many of the species on this world. We not only learn from our own mistakes (when we allow ourselves to, at any rate) but have the chance to learn from the mistakes of others. Given the price of failing to learn the lesson eventually, by whatever method, does it not stand to reason that if a young mother or father out there, who has a drug problem happens to see this, they will have an opportunity to learn from someone elses mistake, and get free of the chain they are placing about their wrists?

Frankly, the double standard at play appalls me.

We can watch the effects of bullets and bombs we paid for, and the people we paid to wield those things in an attempt to destabilise a region of the world, but God forbid we see a little boy cry because his mother self terminated by accident... the wires got crossed somewhere, for a dead certainty.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Edumakated

You don't have to see a video like this... plenty of other real life examples to drive home the point.

Not many better examples than how drug abuse affects the children.

Wait a sec, when it comes to the war on terror they show children bleeding and dying, the war against guns, for the children.

But show some kid sad his mother died... how conditioned are we?

I see wacked out crackheads daily. Women selling themselves. Sleeping in alleys. Living in filth. You dont need to see some kids heart crushed to know drugs are a dead end or know it affects innocent family members like children.

I also know war is hell and innocent kids and others are often victims. In both cases itnis exploiting the most vulnerable.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
No, just no, not right..I will not watch the vid, I do sort of get the idea behind the vid as a cautionary tale.
The epidemic of pharmacy opiates has blown up huge..many people here have overdosed by accident..we are talking weekend partiers not just regular addicts.
Still this is far too personal.
edit on 17-10-2016 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure the guy is trying to send a message to other heroin addict parents.

Guys gotta start using your brains more around here.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thank you for quenching my lust for human suffering. Sickening to share this. With what purpose? Temporary fame?

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

I do get it, but still have no desire to watch..not that anyone would desire to watch.
Some things do not need to be for public consumption..having been an opiate addict many, many years ago I do understand the message. jm2c.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

I think more cautionary tale than any kind of attention seeking.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Then print a story damn it. Why share this.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

I think perhaps a product of the current selfie, social media society we now live in..groan..I don't take this as a selfie thing though.
More people will probably get the message no doubt than just a paragraph or two written.
I don't like it either but I understand it.
Peace

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

originally posted by: Baldryck
Why can't people do anything in private anymore. Why does it always have to be their own little TV show. Really wish they would stop using their children for their little moments of fame as well, it is sickening. Everyone knows drugs kill by now, this video is pointless.

I hear YouTube pays $1 per 25 views.

Its $1 to $2 per 1000 views. IF he monetized that video, that's even worse...

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Why can't people do anything in private anymore. Why does it always have to be their own little TV show. Really wish they would stop using their children for their little moments of fame as well, it is sickening. Everyone knows drugs kill by now, this video is pointless.

I could not agree more. I was going to post something very similar as I cannot stand how people showcase their lives for all to see. I have an account that I basically use for drawings and giveaways but that is about it. It really seems like a selfish, crappy move for the father to do this.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Pharyax

I really hope he didn't, the source says he shared it on Facebook. No doubt other YouTube channels have monetized the video.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Quoted for total greement. This is f*cked up.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Atsbhct

That is horrific.

But I think that if we are still at the point where the effects need discussion, then we have somehow lost the ability to act on things we know, to a degree that previous generations cannot even remotely equal.

We know now, and have known for many decades, that hard drugs like Heroin and others have no legitimate purpose, that there is no reason to use them, no reason to experiment with them, since the risks outweigh any potential enjoyment a person could possibly get out of them. These types of drugs destroy families, take lives away who should have remained. This little boy in your video there, he was a great reason for his mother to never touch hard drugs. That reasoning was ignored, and some will say that if I have never been where she was when she took the batch that killed her, how can I know whether ignoring that child in favour of a hit was a good idea at the time? Well I say BULL. Don't get me wrong, I am no saint. But I am not going to be dropping dead from engaging in my vices any time soon either.

Use of drugs like these is fundamentally stupid. It has taken from us rock stars, actors, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters of this world, who should have had a chance to be with their families a damned sight longer than they got. And all for a temporary chemical high. No good vibe is worth risking that much for, no matter how good it is. It is proof of insanity to want to try it at all, leave alone do it more than once.

I agree with what you are saying about drugs. But this video is not going to provoke any serious discussion or so anything. people know drugs are bad and can ruin your life or kill you. What else is there that has not been discussed countless times

i think you are being WAY too optimistic if you think this video will lead to any sort of serious discussion about drugs

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: intrptr

You have a solid gold point there.

Why is it that we can see images of babies being pulled from wreckage, nearly drowning or actually drowning at sea during an escape attempt from hell, and cooped up in asylum shelters, but we cannot be shown the agony of a boy whose mother died because she had no bloody willpower or wits about her?

You know, human beings have an advantage over many of the species on this world. We not only learn from our own mistakes (when we allow ourselves to, at any rate) but have the chance to learn from the mistakes of others. Given the price of failing to learn the lesson eventually, by whatever method, does it not stand to reason that if a young mother or father out there, who has a drug problem happens to see this, they will have an opportunity to learn from someone elses mistake, and get free of the chain they are placing about their wrists?

Frankly, the double standard at play appalls me.

We can watch the effects of bullets and bombs we paid for, and the people we paid to wield those things in an attempt to destabilise a region of the world, but God forbid we see a little boy cry because his mother self terminated by accident... the wires got crossed somewhere, for a dead certainty.

Mate, what are you talking about? The images of the kids being pulled out alive etc are world events. They are happening during global events that affect everyone in some way. Some f*ckign asshole trying to get money or fame (and yes, i think thats exactly why this loser did this) from telling his son his mother died is a private matter and should stay that way. Shall i show the world next time i wipe my ass as it will provoke a discussion about staying clean. maybe i should show my wife crying when she thinks of her father dying this xmas as it will spark a chat about cancer. Please.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Well, I, too, think some things should be kept private ... but maybe that's an old fashioned view from a time when people valued privacy... poor mom, kid and family.

A real issue, though, is that our collective "war on drugs" definitely helped to kill her... people are afraid to get help or even talk about drug addiction due to fear of prosecution, incarceration and stigma...

if it was handled as the health problem it is, rather than as a crime, more people would be saved... easy math. Harm reduction works.

The base issues that make people want to escape our society shouldn't be ignored, either.. .why do so many want to opt out?

edit on 10/17/2016 by Baddogma because: added a stray modifier

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Wow. Just wow. I wasn't sure what to expect when I actually went to the source link to read the complete article... now I don't know which is more pathetic: The fact that the OP totally misrepresented the situation by not providing all relevant information (much less correcting the, or the many responses which clearly show they didn't bother reading the article either but still feel qualified to not only comment, but to cast judgment on these two. Straight from the source link:

"This [is] for any and every addict with children," the father wrote on Facebook.

Clark said he took the video without his child's permission -- but got his approval to post it online.

Putting all things in their proper context, I'm not surprised he gave permission. I'm pretty sure that kid is far more devastated at losing his mother than any privacy regarding the moment he found out, and I'm pretty sure that he is quite happy to share if he thinks he can help inspire and empower others to save their own lives. Some people... even kids... know that there are things bigger and more important than their own pride and ego.

The father's original Facebook post also reveals:

I AM A RECOVERING ADDICT MYSELF WITH 94 DAYS CLEAN TODAY... PLEASE SHARE N MAYBE HELP SAVE A CHILDS PARENTS LIFE.

(His caps -- not mine.)

Sheesh. Dad's trying to educate and inform and actually save lives in the best way he knows from his own experience... Dad's trying to deny ignorance. What a concept.

ETA: Dad's original Facebook post is here. It is public. Anyone can see it -- with or without a Facebook account.
edit on 17-10-2016 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Im 49 now. Ive lost my mom, my dad, and my grandpa in about a six year span several years back. The pain and grief seem insurmountable. Im not good enough with words to fully describe it but i was surprised to realize that the pain of loss did ease after a time, and you are able to get on with life. The healing process at work and Im glad it does work.

I cant imagine having something out there that would take me back to those moments in my life. If you're  always being prevented from getting through these times you never are able to move on.
I have 3 kids and to record their response to hearing something like this would be unimagineably cruel.

Some moments in life are ment to be private. Its one of those unwritten rules of society, respect the privacy of those who are grieving, they are at one of the lowest points in their life. When they need you, be there, but leave the camera at home. This guys actions are cruel beyond reason.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
He disrespected his child when he needed him most.

Can't believe he had time, in his own mind, to make a FB warning video, of his son, the day after Mummy dies.

Where was the space in his brain where he was able to consider this?

What were you priorities?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join