It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battle For Mosul Begins Oct. 16, 2016 Documenting Now

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor
The Iraqi government wants to liberate its people from terrorists, not kill them. We are only their for air support and artillery shelling of enemy positions. And maybe a handful of JSOC will be fighting in the mix with Iraqi forces as they enter the city itself. Peshmerga agreed to pave the way to the city and clear out the outlying areas for coalition forces. They will themselves not enter the city per an agreement with the government.

I think the lessons of WW2 state that we don't destroy the entire city and its civilian population, especially when trying to liberate them all.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

(post by r0xor removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose.
Kurdistan24 is live streaming their coverage as well. Its like a Kurdish news outlet I guess. Can watch it or hear the radio live streamed. They are on the front lines with Peshmerga forces.
edit on 10-16-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   

I pray to any God that will listen that no civilians may die here.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   
The entire thing is irrelevant because I have hundreds of Jill Stein supporters on my Facebook page who will heed the call to save the pets and spread the petition to hundreds of thousands of sympathetic people. We're going to make sure ISIS survives for the sake of the lives that really matter, the cats, dogs, and other pets owned by the citizens of Mosul. Message me for a link.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Someone needs to fly in there and get those Yazidi sex slave girls out of there too before the place goes to #. Devil worshipping Assyrian women are extremely useful. Why do you think ISIS went after them in particular? Precisely my dear Watson. The world is far more depraved than even you could imagine.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

SO I notice Rudaw has its own live stream now. The black haze lingers over the city. That # must suck right about now.

edit on 10-17-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

SO I notice Rudaw has its own live stream now. The black haze lingers over the city. That # must suck right about now.

Been watching this stream the last hour. Oil fires seem to have engulfed the city. A few IEDs and mines being disposed of, and mostly preparations for the push.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Theprimevoyager

it is night time now and the stream has picked up again on a different video

And some coverage by the BBC embedded with the Kurds

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
A suicide bomb attack by daesh on Iraqi forces

Here is a wider view, we can see a rocket firing overhead originating from about where the vehicle took off.

At Least 70 Iraqi Soldiers Dead in Suicide Bomber Attack on Convoy in Mosul

According to the news agency, the attack took place near the village of Bilawet, as Iraqi troops advanced towards Mosul to liberate it from Daesh fighters.

The suicide bomber was reportedly a member of the terrorist organization, also knows as the Islamic State.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Are these Canadian forces?? Thats not the flag hes wearing on his patch.

I hope these recon drones can help them get an accurate image of the battlefield and reduce collateral damage.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Kurdistan24 streaming live on youtube as well.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

a reply to: Theprimevoyager

it is night time now and the stream has picked up again on a different video

And some coverage by the BBC embedded with the Kurds
sadly, I am heading into work. Hopefully I can catch some more tonight on Kurdistan24 and watch mosul city live.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

In a statement on Monday morning, the American general in charge of the coalition’s war in Iraq and Syria, Lt Gen Stephen Townsend, openly acknowledged the presence of “forward air controllers” amongst the US “advisory” contributions to the battle. Battle for Mosul: Isis city under attack from Iraqi and Kurdish forces – as it happened The Iraqi army and Kurdish peshmerga fighters are converging on Iraq’s second-largest city, which has been in the hands of Islamic State since 2014 Read more Those controllers – known as Joint Terminal Air Controllers, or Jtacs, and drawn from US special operations forces – are the troops on the ground who spot for airstrikes, in an attempt to ensure greater accuracy of aerial bombardment. Their presence indicates that US troops, while not formally in a combat role, are on the frontlines and willing to use substantial airpower on Iraq’s second city.

“Jtacs are the difference between precision bombing and area bombing,” said Christopher Harmer, a former US navy pilot who said their presence indicated the US was willing to “incur casualties” in Mosul.

“With Jtacs, you can select individual targets in real time and accurately strike them. Without Jtacs, you can only bomb a general area and hope for success.”

The UK and France are also believed to have their own special forces involved in retaking Mosul. Earlier this month, two French special operations forces training peshmerga were seriously injured by a jury-rigged Isis drone which exploded after crashing near them in Dohuk, 46 miles (75km) north of the city.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Footage shows coalition airstrike on ISIS 'car bomb factory' in Mosul

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Mosul Offensive, day 2: Peshmerga soldiers go into battle with IS fighters some 20km from Mosul

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Footage shows coalition airstrike on ISIS 'car bomb factory' in Mosul

Wow.Guess that"Factory"will be closed for awhile.
Great reporting OP

edit on CDTTueam21261 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join