It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cookies: Chewy or Crunchy?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Oatmeal and snickerdoodles soft - everything else crunchy

How is this not known?

:-)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Thanks for the disclaimer at the end. I was partially triggered... because I agree w/your boys. Chewy all the way!

Though I guess it depends on the type of cookie, since chewy graham crackers would be disgusting. Then again, maybe those count as biscuits and not cookies? Either way, chewy should win by a landslide.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

They should be very slightly crunchy around the edges and chewy in the center.

Butter is what makes the chewy, baking them just right gets the crunch around the edge.

That season is coming again, I'll have to dig out my chocochiprecipe.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Cookies: Chewy or Crunchy?

That's a good question.

I like both, but only because I have encountered it. Both is hard to attain.

My mom makes this cookie that she calls a Toll House ("Tollhouse", for those of you suffering from the ME) cookie that is a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie, and it's flaky and crunchy for the first 2mm or so and then it's moist and chewy.

I ask her about the recipe and she swears it comes from the Quaker Oats cylinder. So there is already a problem there.

It's the single number-one conspiracy that has plagued me my whole life, that damned recipe. I can't replica5te it, despite being an experienced baker.

It's weird.

edit on 16-10-2016 by Dan00 because: :

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
It's a damn cookie!
They are like boobs
All of them are good.
Except coconut, those are terrible.
Except coconut shell bras,,,,

That a glass of milk by the way, not beer, cuz gross.

I disagree.

My family has a coconut cookie recipe that kills! Aunt Cora's Coconut Cookies rock!

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
As for the OP ...

It depends on the cookie for me.

I like my cookies to be more soft on the whole, but sometimes they need to have a bit of crisp to them.

But think about it ... should a proper snickerdoodle be crunchy? On the other hand, if you are making gingerbread and it doesn't firm up and get even a bit crisp, your house will fall down. And peppernuts without being crunchy?

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You have a really good point.

My two tricks for approaching predictability in texture are:

1) In multi-egg recipes I start with removing one yolk and replacing with a white: extravagant but effective for crunch. I then tweak the ratio further. This can be reversed for experimenting with "chew".

2) Most 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon drop-cookies can be made outwardly crunchy by rolling in sugar and then 12 minutes @ 325. This is where you start to get in to crunchy on the outside chewy on the inside.

edit on 16-10-2016 by Dan00 because:

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Dan00

No- it's on the chocolate chip bag-that's the original!

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

I know, that's why I was saying that there's already a problem there. It's like she lives in some alternate universe where Quaker and Nestle' are buddies and cookies are perfect.

I could scream.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I always like crunchy-but like you-slightly chewy in middle; fresh from the oven.

But, really I prefer homemade chocolate pie-egg white top toasted with real crust - not graham cracker crumbs.

I had to say it-I like pies much better; homemade.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Crunchy if you dip cookies in milk.

Chewy if you don't.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Crunchy...as in using butter in the recipe.

BTW...a nice change from plain ole choco chip is butterscotch walnut. Trust me

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Depends on the cookie. Molasses cookies are supposed to be soft in the middle and gingersnaps are supposed to be crunchy, but they're basically the same recipe just with different cooking times.

I personally prefer the molasses cookies, but I like my chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips to be crunchy.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Chewy in the middle, slightly crunchy on the outside.

If I'm having a dry crunchy cookie, into the milk it goes.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
A perfect cookie is a mix. The outside has this crisp, crunchy layer that once bitten through reveals the ooey, gooey innards of the perfect cookie.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

When you say 'crunchy' are we talking Chips Ahoy crunchy?

I personally prefer just a little texture on the outside but chewy in the middle.

my favorite are chewy Chips Ahoy images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

Im not one of those "organic vegan is life" kinda guys. I like bad things. Things like twinkies, reeses, and oreos. In quantities that would make you gasp, matter of fact. So this isn't a holy temple body speaking here....

...chewy chips ahoy have something in them that just feels like everything wrong int he world. I donn't get sick, exactly. But my heartburn will kill me. Its like eating a zebra cake....the immediate result is a feeling like i have eaten something that is not meant for me to consume.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

A synthetic, permanent sponginess...guaranteed squishy through 2030 or the end of WI I I - whichever comes first

...chewy chips ahoy have something in them that just feels like everything wrong int he world. 

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I think the Mandela Effect has taken hold... I've never had a snickerdoodle that wasn't crunchy, unless it was hot, just out of the oven.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

i know just what you mean as i feel that same way with any diet soda, or any artificial sugar sweetened treat, essentially a reaction to aspartame in its many incarnations,

cant say ive felt that way with chips ahoy though, odd...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join