It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible KILL SHOT misses (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The video is of a CME that erupted on Oct. 15... Luckily it will miss us but is still awesome in its' power and beauty.
youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
The video is of a CME that erupted on Oct. 15... Luckily it will miss us but is still awesome in its' power and beauty.
youtu.be...

I live in south Ausralia and have just washed my windows and cleaned all the leaf debris from my selfish neighbours suburban forest.

Have I wasted my time?

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me what would actually happen if one of these "kill shots" hit the Earth?

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
Can someone explain to me what would actually happen if one of these "kill shots" hit the Earth?

Thanks!

At worst, your GPS might send you up a one way street.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Actually, it could be highly problematic for electrical power grids, depending on a few variables.
But for people and other living things, not so much. Not directly.

edit on 10/15/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Some power grids, is it the UK that wouldn't be affected by solar flares?

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
No where on Earth's surface would be affected by a solar flare. It's CMEs that can be problematic for power grids. In general, the longer the transmission lines are, in any particular straight line, the worse the potential effects.

In the UK I would think that transmission lines are not as long and straight as they are in places like North America so I would think that they would be somewhat less susceptible, though not immune.

But latitude is also a great factor. The higher the latitude, the more pronounced the effect.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Actually, it could be highly problematic for electrical power grids, depending on a few variables.
But for people and other living things, not so much. Not directly.

Yeah but I think the point was the rather exaggerated 'Kill Shot'.

Soth Australias power grid was taken down by bad earthly weather last week, was back up and running in a few hours and completely restored within a week (although I suspect there are some weak spots they will be building more redundancy).

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Yeah but I think the point was the rather exaggerated 'Kill Shot'.

Yeah.
That goes back to this kook. He's been yakking about it for a while now.
www.thekillshot.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

It really depends on how many half million Plus dollar transformers get fried; most countries do not have a bunch of those just laying around.... Power transmission lines (if you have the equipment and personnel) are much easier to fix and restring.

The only reason the big CME's are called a kill shot is because there are possibilities that the electric grid could be down for months not weeks....... and the supposedly mayhem that would result from such an event..

Just found this: www.whitehouse.gov...

COORDINATING EFFORTS TO PREPARE
THE NATION FOR SPACE WEATHER EVENTS

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and to prepare the Nation for space weather events, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Policy. Space weather events, in the form of solar flares, solar energetic particles, and geomagnetic disturbances, occur regularly, some with measurable effects on critical infrastructure systems and technologies, such as the Global Positioning System (GPS), satellite operations and communication, aviation, and the electrical power grid. Extreme space weather events -- those that could significantly degrade critical infrastructure -- could disable large portions of the electrical power grid, resulting in cascading failures that would affect key services such as water supply, healthcare, and transportation. Space weather has the potential to simultaneously affect and disrupt health and safety across entire continents. Successfully preparing for space weather events is an all-of-nation endeavor that requires partnerships across governments, emergency managers, academia, the media, the insurance industry, non-profits, and the private sector.

It is the policy of the United States to prepare for space weather events to minimize the extent of economic loss and human hardship. The Federal Government must have (1) the capability to predict and detect a space weather event, (2) the plans and programs necessary to alert the public and private sectors to enable mitigating actions for an impending space weather event, (3) the protection and mitigation plans, protocols, and standards required to reduce risks to critical infrastructure prior to and during a credible threat, and (4) the ability to respond to and recover from the effects of space weather. Executive departments and agencies (agencies) must coordinate their efforts to prepare for the effects of space weather events.

IMO it is about time !
edit on 727thk16 by 727Sky because: Added Link

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
What affect would it have on our satellites though? Bit harder to fix than some electric grids if they all go out.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Not a whole lot, in the long term. Satellites are built with that sort of thing in mind. While solar events can create temporary disruptions in communications (including GPS), the effects are ... temporary.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Powerline Transformers are affected if they haven't been hardened against a CME with grounding equipment, basically the EMR could build up and concentrate in the "former" causing massive eddy currents and Tx burnout. Transformers have an 18 month turn around from the day you order one so the problems lies in down time and cost.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Good to know. Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join