It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Archers in?.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Sword fighting twice a week, Horse riding every other week so after watching a documentary on Agincourt I thought I better get a longbow and all the gear
So I have bought not a real Yew bow because they cost plenty and I lack the skills to make one so I bought this a FLAGELLA 75" FLATBOW LAMINATED LONGBOW

Bought a few different types of arrow ranging from wooden olde style ones to target fibre glass ones plus a self healing target and a quiver.
Never done it before and seeing I'm now skint I thought I would ask any archers here for any tips or any good channels on you tube? I have looked but they say many different things.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

One piece of advice i can give you is make sure the Bow is facing the correct way when you pull back!

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Encryptor

That was my next question

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I'd check with your local community center.

Many have archery clubs. You can learn proper safety from them.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Never dry fire it(pulling back the string and releasing without an arrow). It's very bad for bows of all kinds.

I only shoot compound bows right now but I've been thinking about getting into recurves, let me know if you like it.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Nah I have a safe place to practise and they will not let me wear my green tights there.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

I read that but don't understand it why is it different? is it something to do with vibration?.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

That was my next question

here's a good one for better accuracy.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

I read that but don't understand it why is it different? is it something to do with vibration?.

Yes, the energy stored in the pulled string should transfer into the arrow, if there's no arrow that energy is dispersed into the bow, possibly causing cracks to form.

In the case of my compound bow, I was practicing in my yard one day before we had a party, went in to use the restroom, came out just in time to see a newly arrived partygoer dry fire my bow. Long story short it vibrated the sights so bad I had to re-sight it in.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I'd still join one.

it's much more fun to shoot with others.

had a blast doing archery at a church camp.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I may in the future but with my work it is hard to actually plan stuff I have checked and found a few but the times and days just can't work well for me at the moment.
It took me such a long time to get guaranteed 2 nights off for my swordfighting.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Practice practice practice .....Its not the power ,its the placement .Not sure if you hunt but there are some super designed broad heads out there that are really neat . I have a compound (right handed ) but have shot left handed bows using the thumb .

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Nice bow.

Maybe you could give this guy a call for advise.

UNfreakin real...

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Yeah I hunt see my sig.

I reckon two hours a day
naw as often as I can I got a 50 lb pull I think that will be okay but because I will be using different muscles I'm thinking of getting a trainer thingy? to strenghen me up a bit.
I dunno If I can pull it tbh I think it will be easy because I aint no weakling but I dunno what is the pull strength of your bow?.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Just wow!.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Wrong type of bow really but interesting

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
From making bows since i was very young (just as somthing to do while bored in vallys in wales, not professional in anyway) i can say use a brace!!!!

That string really hurts if it catches your arm at all and another reason not to dry fire, bows aint no joke yo.
edit on b5252508 by Biigs because: Spelling - i should just add this edit to my sig *sigh*

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

My bow is 75lbs fully cranked with a 50% let off . If you are walk hunting then you can expect the average shot will be 35 yards . A tree stand with bait will be inside 15 but because you are shooting down you need to aim lower . The big issue with recurves and long bows for me is the length of the darn things .

I mentioned the broad head and that is important . I just did a search and they have a 125 grain which might work well for you . Older types are too heave and require a heavy spine in the arrow .this things looks like a good match for a 50 lb recurve

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Archery is a great sport and can take awhile to get decent at, especially with a re-curve as you don't have an aiming device.
I don't have a video for you but I can offer a few tips.

1) Never dry fire your bow.(it's been said but worth repeating)

2) Have your arrows cut to your draw length.

3) Inspect your fletchings everytime before you shoot

4) You can use an armguard. What I do is change my stance, if you would like more info on this just ask.

5) Remember physics. Heavier arrows don't travel as far, lighter arrows don't impact as hard.

6) There is some maintenance involved with recurves, check your manual or the makers website

7) Different arrow heads and tips have slightly different trajectory results.

8) Practice, Practice, Practice. Hand eye coordination and instinct shooting are learned and it takes time. It's rewarding however.

9) Assuming your right handed; Make sure you don't lock your left elbow. Leave it slightly bent and after firing let the bow drift forward...DON'T DROP IT! It takes a few shots to get it down but you will find more consistency downrange.

10) Have fun. It's a skill and will take time to develop.

I'll add more if I remember. Here in the states we have ranges setup like mini golf courses. Different angled shots to the target and varied skill levels. It's pretty cool, I wonder if you have them over there.

11) Find your anchor points and use them every time. IE. Hand to cheek or string to mouth. They make a product called a "Kisser Button" Hooks onto your string and is nice to get a consistent anchor.

12) Don't be too hard on yourself. Take a few shots. Relax..have a drink of tea/water. Take a few more. Your building muscle and muscle memory.
edit on 15-10-2016 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

Recurve Maintenance

What Beginners do Wrong
edit on 15-10-2016 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

You have
probably already decided how you are going to do the sport, aim like with a rifle or instinctively like Lars Anderson.

Man your defenses for whatever style you choose!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join