It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeing Earth from Space Is the Key to Saving Our Species from Itself

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

I hear you friend, but I think if a person actually got up/out there, it would change them, at least most folks, because it is a unique experience like no other. Why say never for yourself? Japan is planning on having a space elevator by 2050, which as fast as tech evolves today, could actually come earlier from them or someone else.

Also there are plans for vehicles for space being developed to take people in orbit for a short trip. Should be available in next couple of years. Granted the cost is expensive, but over time they should come down.

"We hope to create thousands of astronauts over the next few years and bring alive their dream of seeing the majestic beauty of our planet from above, the stars in all their glory and the amazing sensation of weightlessness," Branson said in September 2004.

At the very least VR tech should be able to create the experience, and I hope that has enough power to inspire as well. I realize I'm jumping ahead in my hopes, but sometimes we have to look forward to connect to something better and transformative.

As mentioned, even if us common folk can not make the trip anytime soon, perhaps enough leaders will be able to and bring back with them the motivation to help shape or grow our perspective in a direction that deepens our sense of responsibility and expands our sense of awe. Yes I know, I'm a hopeful person, but we gotta dream, no?

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

What planet you from?

This one, of course. Instead of yelling at me, read my links and you will learn that I am right.

Today war is far more destructive

Wrong.

more people are displaced than ever before in History

There are more people than ever before. As a percentage of the general population, there are not more displaced people than ever before.

And I would like to see a citation that confirms the claim that absolute numbers of displaced are higher than ever before. A respectable academic source, please.

As far as deaths, more people on the planet means more deaths ongoing

More deaths doesn’t mean more deaths from homicide, war or other forms of intentional violence. All those rates have come to all-time lows.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

read my links and you will learn that I am right.

Those links don't prove anything.

There, I down played your viewpoint just like you did.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Whatever gets you through the night. It's all right, it's all right.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Whatever gets you through the night. It's all right, it's all right.

I am reminded how little reason affects your outlook. So enamored of our Matrix bathtub, nothing will wake us up?

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

You will have to do a lot better than that if you want to annoy me. Have a go at disproving my earlier assertions.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join