It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A study done on the phenomena called Mandela effect

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve
Just because you are limiting your scope of vision about what is possible in reality does not mean the the scope of vision of whats possible in reality is limited.

What is possible is far more amazing than we can imagine.
Any sort of hippy ideal that thinks whatever we can imagine is greater than what actually exists doesn't understand what there is to be understood.

I think we shouldn't limit our understanding of the universe to our imaginations.

edit on 17-10-2016 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Just because you are limiting your scope of vision about what is possible in reality does not mean the the scope of vision of whats possible in reality is limited.

What is possible is far more amazing than we can imagine.
Any sort of hippy ideal that thinks whatever we can imagine is greater than what actually exists doesn't understand what there is to be understood.

I think we shouldn't limit our understanding of the universe to our imaginations.

I personally think this is exactly where you are going wrong and I now understand the disconnect I believe you are having.

Nothing does actually exist. There is no objective reality that if all consciousness were removed would still be here. Everything is a very complex and intricate illusion. Peel the top layer and you are left with another, peel that layer and you are left with another, ad infinitum. I know this because I have seen it, I have spent the eternity there having them peeled back for me. I think you are the one putting the barriers up so that you can remain inside of them. The other side is frightening, but also very satisfying.
edit on 10/17/2016 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

Yep, that's the problem.

I don't claim to have answers to these existential questions.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Yep, that's the problem.

I don't claim to have answers to these existential questions.

I am not claiming to have the answers to your existential questions either. I am only relaying my experience, or what are for me Truths. I don't know if you would find those same Truths for yourself or not.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

And now we get to wordplay.

If you don't know if others have the same "truth", then that is not "truth".
It's opinion.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

And now we get to wordplay.

If you don't know if others have the same "truth", then that is not "truth".
It's opinion.

You are right forgive me. Forget I mentioned it.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

As for over-generalization, um no I disagree. How do you generalize something that you`ve seen over and over again? Surely someone would have noticed your erroneous and remind you about it, before the mass of people suddenly experience the same discrepancy, no?

Other people are not privy to the contents of your head. If you think the Berenstain Bears are the Bernstein Bears, no-one would know. It is only when someone notices that they have had the name wrong and brings it to your attention that it becomes an issue.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Good point but while that may be an issue, when you do mention it, then most of the people would correct you, if you are an isolated case. At least in case of Tom Cruise and James Earl Jones someone should have corrected them at the very beginning. But thing is that many of us remember it the same way and they have not even said a word yet on the subject. I hope you can see what I`m trying to say here.

Also regarding C-3PO`s silver leg, there would be countless forums about it that I and probably plenty of other people would know of. You don`t miss something like that if you are a fan, especially on a character like C-3PO. Unless we were all blind or something...What you have to understand is that this not some excessive info for the fans.

The main issue is when something is brought to your attention and you remember it the same way but contrary to what it appears to be. I know what are you thinking...suggestion. But even if you present what it is now first, people will say no, this is not right, which makes suggestive psychology flawed in this case.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The OP mentions the movie/book Interview with the vampire. I first saw it when it came out and remember it as Interview with the vampire so that mandela effect didn't seem to work on me.

So if it is real it seems to be able to work on some people and not others or different countries which seems improbable IMO. More likely it's just people who haven't seen something for a long time remembering things differently. I haven't had one myself but some people seem very convinced by it so maybe there is something there and I won't completely dismiss it but it does seem very far fetched IMO.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
While everyone is busy arguing and discussing whether or not people are misremembering or flipped dimensions ad nauseam, the fact remains that thousands if not hundreds of thousands or millions of people DO remember things differently. That alone to me is fascinating regardless of whether it is due to suggestion, confabulation, poor memory, parallel universe colliding, CERN, etc.

If I was only concerned with keeping the conversation trying to argue the spelling instead of looking deeper than I would go on ATS and only comment about bad memory and confabulation. Instead of talking about 75% of what this phenomenon represents I would constantly and for eternity argue about the 25%.

DJW I know you are an intelligent and insightful person, why are you stuck at this part of the conversation and ignoring everything else? I am surprised you are not seeing the rest of the field that is right in front of you.

Maybe I am alone in my interest, it is certainly appearing so.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
But why is it almost always pop culture minutia from decades ago and not infrequently a childhood memory?

How come it's never "Hey, wait a minute. Last month Mexico was named Hoochie Coochie Land!"

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

Are you honestly asking the question I believe you have already asked and are unanswerable, or just making facetious observation?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Are you honestly asking the question I believe you have already asked and are unanswerable, or just making facetious observation?

I guess a little of both.

I have seen this point brought up in these discussions and have never seen a plausible answer.

You never see something like the name of a road suddenly changing or what people remembered as an auto shop suddenly turning into a Burger King or state borders suddenly changing---that sort of thing.

Why is it an unanswerable question?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

Hi, thanks for joining in. It`s always good to have people who don`t remember it differently involved in a converstaion. All I`m going to say is to pay attention and report once in a while if there were any changes that you have noticed and that bothers you or you can provide a rational explanation why you might have remembered it incorrectly.

One of the new observations is 'the thinker' by Auguste Rodin, a statue that now doesn`t fit the critera it had before.

www.reddit.com...

I personally can`t comment on it because I`m not sure what I actually do remember about this statue...

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

I guess a little of both.

I have seen this point brought up in these discussions and have never seen a plausible answer.

You never see something like the name of a road suddenly changing or what people remembered as an auto shop suddenly turning into a Burger King or state borders suddenly changing---that sort of thing.

Why is it an unanswerable question?

Because if someone here had an answer you were happy with you would have already gotten it. You just said that you have seen answers, they just weren't plausible in your opinion. Are you thinking that someone knows a plausible answer but is just holding out on giving it to you?

I feel like many people are too busy asking that question to actually look at the rest of the phenomenon. Some would rather just sit at "I don't even believe in the Mandela Effect", as if people aren't reporting changes at all, even if they are made up. They are stuck at the starting line, wanting to discuss if there is a race in front of them while others are already running ahead.

I think you are missing the forest for the trees, and I am not trying to put you down by saying that, you are not alone.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Op3nM1nd3d
a reply to: Atsbhct

I agree, but let`s hope this will convince others to do a better research on the subject.

Take the quiz.
Quiz Results - Exploring the Mandela Effect

www.doquizzes.com...

25k people took this quiz: www.quiz-maker.com... Their results have been analyzed and guesses have been removed. Control experiments were included that indicate people who are extremely confident in their answers are likely to get them right 95% of the time or more. This study mostly rules out memory and mishearing as the likely cause of the Mandela Effect. The actual cause remains unknown and worthy of further study.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

I think this is the same guy although it says Jesse Reich in the first study. Not sure, but looks like the guy has gone further with his study. Unfortunately, the lack of control remains.

Thanks for sharing this though, I will certainly have a look into it
edit on 18-10-2016 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: audubon
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

I understand what you are saying, but listen to it again. It`s an A not thA.

It really, really isn't 'A'. But we'll have to agree to differ. To me this a very simple case of the spoken word having an ambiguity that the written word does not.

Maybe maybe not how much do we know actually?

According to Superstring Theory, the fifth and sixth dimensions are where the notion of possible worlds arises. If we could see on through to the fifth dimension, we would see a world slightly different from our own that would give us a means of measuring the similarity and differences between our world and other possible ones.

www.universetoday.com...
www.bbc.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

That piece on string theory is a bit misleading. The fifth and sixth dimensions referred to are extra physical dimensions of this universe (i.e., belonging to the same set as the three physical dimensions we are familiar with, plus the non-physical one that gives rise to the description 'spacetime').

What they're saying is that examining this universe in terms of its extra dimensions might tell us something about possible other universes.

The confusion arises because many people use 'another dimension' as shorthard for 'another plane of existence' or even 'a parallel universe'. That's not the meaning applicable to string theory (which from memory calls for about ten physical dimensions in this universe for the maths to work out correctly).

No-one has any idea whether these extra dimensions of this universe exist, or how to access them. They are supposedly 'curled up' at the subatomic level, having collapsed during the first moments after the Big Bang.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

No-one has any idea whether these extra dimensions of this universe exist, or how to access them.

Exactly my point. People need to stop being closed minded we don't know what could be happening or what is possible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join