It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Confronts a New Threat From ISIS: Exploding Drones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This caught my attention, and I thought some might be interested. It looks like recreational and professional use of drones like these by the public are endangered.

One might think that this is a conspiracy to keep these out of the hands of conspiracy-minded people. Like us...

New York Times article

WASHINGTON — Kurdish forces fighting the Islamic State in northern Iraq last week shot down a small drone the size of a model airplane. They believed it was like the dozens of drones the terrorist organization had been flying for reconnaissance in the area, and they transported it back to their outpost to examine it.

But as they were taking it apart, it blew up, killing two Kurdish fighters in what is believed to be one of the first times the Islamic State has successfully used a drone with explosives to kill troops on the battlefield.

In the last month, the Islamic State has tried to use small drones to launch attacks at least two other times, prompting American commanders in Iraq to issue a warning to forces fighting the group to treat any type of small flying aircraft as a potential explosive device.

Thinking about this, I wonder what else they'll come up with that compromises our freedoms. Hmmm

soulwaxer

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: soulwaxer

I wonder if they took their cue from the US on this one. (Ahem)

Vaguely remember reading about the development of disposable drones that would 'terminate' themselves once completing to their mission, to avoid capture.

Guess they took it one step further. Bet they didn't spend nearly as much, either.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Does that mean we get to shoot down drones now for fun?

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

linky
Great for your private airspace.
May want to check the legalities for your area.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Thinking about this, I wonder what else they'll come up with that compromises our freedoms. Hmmm

OMGOSH is this the new terrorist air force...?

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

No it means they will be made illegal because they can be used for terrorist purposes.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

But what if it's a drone of a terrorist descent ?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Heh... let me fix your title for you:

Pentagon provides ISIS with new tool to ensure the theft of freedom and liberty from the population it alleges to be sworn to protect.

There you go!

new topics

top topics

join