It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homecooked meal for cats backfired

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
So my cats live on a diet of canned Fancy Feast and also dry food. I thought I would treat them to some homecooked food so I bought some beef bones and simmered them for hours and hours and hours. Then I minced the beef and put it in their bowls along with the broth. I thought "boy are they going to love this". The cat who will eat anything turned up her nose at it. The other cat saw the food in her bowl and, alarmed that it didn't look like a typical Fancy Feast meal, she crept up on the bowl slowly to see what the heck was going on. Then she also refused to eat.

So besides spooning some Fancy Feast into the beef-n-broth, does anyone have any other suggestions about adding some flavoring to the home-cooked meal to entice them to eat it?

Thanks-
Sal

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SallieSunshine

Can you possibly mix some of the dry food in it?

I think if they get hungry they will eat it, eventually.

Sometimes animals have a hard time adjusting to new foods, in my experience and maybe just add a little for a few days until it's all gone.

Good luck, shame to waste it.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Just like my cats. I read once to simmer the giblets from the turkey on Thanksgiving, that they would love them. NOPE.

They have accepted pieces of chichen for my chicken ceasar salad from the corner store. One cat that passed years ago, Bijou, He loved Doritos.

The cats I have now love Purina Kitten Chow. Neither are kittens and I have tried more expensive food. They would not touch it. They like some canned food, but not the pate, has to be meat looking strings.
edit on 11-10-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Take their food away for a couple days then try again. J/K

My cats are so finicky that when I open a new bag of THE SAME FOOD they wont eat it because it smells a little different then what they have ate for the last month.

They wont even eat a fresh can of Albacore tuna.

Cats.....

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Mine will go on strike. I have tried the mixing. First the Maine Coone will talk and whine and then the Tortie will start whining. They will not fall for my tricks.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Buy some chicken gizzard! They are pretty cheap. Cook them in a crockpot with water and a few cubes of chicken bullion till tender.

Chop them up finely or put them in a food processer and grind them up. Your cats will love you!

I did that for mine and he drove me crazy till it was done and he had his face buried in his food bowl. lol But then again, cats are all different, kind of like us homo sapiens?

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
Take their food away for a couple days then try again. J/K

My cats are so finicky that when I open a new bag of THE SAME FOOD they wont eat it because it smells a little different then what they have ate for the last month.

They wont even eat a fresh can of Albacore tuna.

Cats.....

I have offered albacore tuna too. They act like I handed them garbage.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
One thing that worked for us was chicken tenders boiled in water until cooked through, then pulled apart with a fork into a bowl. Because they are so finicky we wind up going back and forth between the canned and the chicken. The chicken is a whole lot less expensive than the canned food. Of course, they'll eat bacon in a heart beat, but I really don't like the competition.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I can try that, minus the beef bullion cubes, lot of sodium.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I mixed some of my neighbors into my cat's food and he gobbled that stuff right down.

link   

The other cat saw the food in her bowl and, alarmed that it didn't look like a typical Fancy Feast meal, she crept up on the bowl slowly to see what the heck was going on. Then she also refused to eat.

Yah, they like their 'regular' diet. Most pets are habituated that way.

Generally don't feed them much people food either. Its not good for them.

link   

Cats are notoriously finicky and sensitive to change in their food.

They may love the new stuff ... once they've had a chance to get accustomed to it. Generally, you need to wean off their usual and on to the new stuff by gradually decreasing amounts of one and increasing amounts of the other and mixing the two.

But I know what you mean. We have one very obese cat who has been put on a diet. She chases us around the house and begs. I took pity on her and gave her a cat treat that our recently deceased cat used to take fingers off to get at, and despite her seeming desperate hunger, she turned her nose up at it.

So I guess she really wasn't all that hungry. Made me feel better about the diet.

link   
a reply to: reldra

Ha!

I hear ya!

My kittely loves the Purina Cat Chow indoor formula and not much else although on occasion she will lick the dog's food.

Then he gives her that look and she backs away. I think she just thinks she wants to try something new. She's very noncommittal to actually tasting his food.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Cat's don't have owners, they have staff (unpaid and overworked).

Bastards!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
One thing that worked for us was chicken tenders boiled in water until cooked through, then pulled apart with a fork into a bowl. Because they are so finicky we wind up going back and forth between the canned and the chicken. The chicken is a whole lot less expensive than the canned food. Of course, they'll eat bacon in a heart beat, but I really don't like the competition.

I think that is the answer. I find my cats will eat chicken tenders or even pieces of chicken tenders from salads or pizza.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

In the wild, or at least, back forty or fifty years, cats used to mostly eat what they found to eat, and maybe a little something left out by their owners. Their diets were normally quite varied, and their owners rarely knew the half of it. Cats back in that time, rarely turned their noses up at anything unless it smelled like a bloated, corruption ridden carcass, left in a bath over a hot and humid weekend.

Cats these days are often fed just the way you describe, with the same stuff daily. There is nothing wrong with that necessarily, as long as it amounts to good, balanced nutrition. But it does mean that they are less adaptable, mostly because of training by habit. If the norm is that they have had this food, and only this food for a great deal of time, they are unlikely to treat a new sensation with the same aplomb as a cat which mouses for at least half of its food intake, or hunts down and eats birds or other creatures, as well as its daily pick of whatever its owner had available.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Mine will go on strike. I have tried the mixing. First the Maine Coone will talk and whine and then the Tortie will start whining. They will not fall for my tricks.

Sounds like my cats.

They go on strike too and then start whining constantly to make me feel guilty!
They play me like a fiddle.......

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Yep!

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

originally posted by: reldra

Sounds like my cats.

They go on strike too and then start whining constantly to make me feel guilty!
They play me like a fiddle.......

Yep. They will whine and ignore whatever special thing I put in their bowls.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
My dog is a gordon setter and it hates dry food.. BUT I have found out that
if I take to big spoon of butter and mix it in.. it will eat it all.
So this have been a daily thing now for 3 years and my dog is in good shape and happy

try butter

<<   2  3 >>

join