It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sponsorship of National Health Organizations by Coca-Cola and Pepsi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I was reading about this in a foreign newspaper on the web and immediately knew this is material for ATS. The original source is The American Journal of Preventive Medicine. The title of the thread is already pretty suggestive and the information offered is extensive. Please take your time to read and analyze the article.

Methods
Records of corporate philanthropy and lobbying expenditures on public health legislation by soda companies in the U.S. during 2011–2015 were found through Internet and database searches.
Results
From 2011 to 2015, the Coca-Cola Company and PepsiCo were found to sponsor a total of 96 national health organizations, including many medical and public health institutions whose specific missions include fighting the obesity epidemic. During the study period, these two soda companies lobbied against 29 public health bills intended to reduce soda consumption or improve nutrition.
Conclusions
There is surprisingly pervasive sponsorship of national health and medical organizations by the nation’s two largest soda companies. These companies lobbied against public health intervention in 97% of cases, calling into question a sincere commitment to improving the public’s health. By accepting funding from these companies, health organizations are inadvertently participating in their marketing plans.

ifp.nyu.edu...
edit on 10-10-2016 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman
Do any of these medical and public health organizations encourage, rather than discourage the consumption of sugary drinks?

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Added sugar in all it's forms will be the new tobacco in the coming years.

These corps are very scared. The companies diet offerings are more and more scrutinized by the public and the internet is a free flowing fountain of info that is harder to control than national health orgs (for now).

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Do any of these medical and public health organizations encourage, rather than discourage the consumption of sugary drinks?

I know you are a good reader, take a few minutes and enjoy

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

You could have included some pertinent quotes.

For example, Save the Children, a group that promoted soda taxes, suddenly dropped this effort in 2010 after receiving more than $5 million from the Coca-Cola Company and PepsiCo in 2009.11

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
No one should dictate what we drink and eat, the entire world knows soda is the worst thing you can put in your body, but telling you how to eat or drink unamerican.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RedMenace16

Like fluoride?

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Nothing like teamwork

Thanks man.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Next time any of you do groceries, look at the ingredients in what you're buying.

Sugar goes by many names- but they're all killing you.

glucose/dextrose, fructose, and galactose, sucrose...

They put it in everything these days, and it's the reason we've got rampant heart disease, obesity, and probably a bunch of other problems we've got.

The food corporations (and there aren't many of them- they just have lots of names) love sugar- it's cheaper than dirt, full of bad calories, and super tasty. I never would have thought it, but it's addictive too- just try and quit some time.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Like fluoride?

Like fluoride? I don't know you tell me.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

, but telling you how to eat or drink unamerican.

Is fluoride added to water UN-American? This IS in the water, and you are told to drink it.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Ah, the old, old story...

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedMenace16
the entire world knows soda is the worst thing you can put in your body

I think you are giving the entire world too much credit. There are lots of uninformed, ignorant people out there. I know people who actually believe that everything in the grocery store is good for you, because if it wasn't "the government wouldn't allow it to be sold."

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

, but telling you how to eat or drink unamerican.

Is fluoride added to water UN-American? This IS in the water, and you are told to drink it.

We as Americans are free to eat and drink what we want, congress shouldn't pass laws that would prevent that.

The thing with fluoride yes absolutely we have a choice to not drink tap water if we don't want to, I don't see anyone forcing you to drink that but yes it is very unamerican to add fluoride to tap water but you still have a choice to either buy filters or not drink it at all.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Interesting thing. In Hawaii, water is not fluoridated (except on military bases).
bigislandnow.com...

Maybe they just drink more soda.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Interesting thing. In Hawaii, water is not fluoridated (except on military bases).
bigislandnow.com...

Maybe they just drink more soda.

There's a bunch of places water ain't fluoridated, I think every country or city has their own choice but I'm not exactly sure how that works.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
In some places it's put to popular vote. In others the local government leaders decide.

But the thing is, in Hawaii (statewide) the water has never been fluoridated so the results of not doing so can compared to other states, on the whole.

But this thread is not about fluoride, it's about the influence of soda lobbies on health organizations.

edit on 10/10/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Don't drink our soda !

Drink our soda.

Is it any wonder the average person these days doesn't know whether to scratch their watch or wind their ass ?

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Sounds like coke and Pepsi are on their way to becoming
health food drinks.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge
My watch is solar powered. Why would I scratch it?

edit on 10/10/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join