It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What a relief - the ozone hole is shrinking some scientists say in mid 2016

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
OK everybody is talking about the ozone hole on the south pole, but what about on the north pole?

There is of course controversy because still in 2015 some scientist said that the Antarctica hole was near record breaking size:

www.livescience.com...

Anyways the latest insights about the healing are from a peer reviewed scientific journal:

science.sciencemag.org...

Volcanic eruptions can interfere with the healing process, can make shrinking trend, of phasing out industrial chlorofluorocarbons that cause ozone depletion, harder to see.

edit on 2016-10-9 by galien8 because: extra info

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: galien8

It is outside of your ability to control a hole in the ozone so it makes no sense to spend time worrying about this issue. I am, however, glad you got news that caused you some relief.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Nope!
As you can see here, the size of the hole varies year to year.
Hey that rhymes...[Insert evil laugh here]

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

It is outside of your ability to control a hole in the ozone so it makes no sense to spend time worrying about this issue. I am, however, glad you got news that caused you some relief.

That may be, but many topics discussed here are arguably out of "your" control. Knowing about these things, the science behind them, and the total impact by our civilization, are factors to consider and i think, legitimate reasons for relief in some of the cases.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Welp, this is news to me. I had no idea the ozone could even replenish itself. Thanks for the insight!! Lol.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
Nope!
As you can see here, the size of the hole varies year to year.
Hey that rhymes...[Insert evil laugh here]

OK but then the scientists have found a trend of shrinking, of healing, heal the healer high, high, high, he is the healer

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Anyone who works for a living knows that given the same input your output changes from day to day.

The ozone is being depleted by the # we do, and that is fact.

If you think of the ozone as a layer of oil over a pot of simmering water, you might better understand how it fluctuates. A hole represents a lack of oil, and the atmosphere is represented by the water. It will evaporate- there are plenty of observed planets with minimal atmosphere to demonstrate.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

or maybe just maybe - it proves that CFC's never caused the hole in the ozone in the first place and that it is just a natural phenomenon???

Is that possible?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
And scientists recently released a paper saying that acid rain had been reduced to pre mass industry levels. I dont have the link here, but im sure it can be easily googled.

A little good news on both accounts in a world of #.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

It is good news but it proves that the pollution went to the same places where the manufacturing went. Acid rain is the fall out of burning fossil fuels. It didn't go "away" - it just went somewhere else.

www.ndtv.com...

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

or maybe just maybe - it proves that CFC's never caused the hole in the ozone in the first place and that it is just a natural phenomenon???

Maybe. Ozone and Oxygen are in equilibrium under UV light, equilibrium disturbed by CFCs, CFCs phased out, equilibrium restored (healing)

ozone.meteo.be...

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Pollution is still here . I moved about across Lake Michigan from Chicago and the prevailing winds are from the souithwest. If i leave my truck out in the dew it's dirty the next day. The dew even leaves muddy streaks when I turn the wipers on. pretty crappy.

top topics

join