It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING [UPDATE]: Two Police Officers Killed – Shooter “Wanted To Shoot Cops”

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
Did they change the article on cnn? I can´t find that quote you have in your post put in another article that has the same wording but more information

wtvr.com...

I hope they got the right person, not that the real shooter is still out there... But they surely have the name of the mother so I think the identity is not a question.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
I'd like to find a historical chart that shows if both Police killing civilians, and civilians killing police, have increased over the past 10 years, and by what proportion of one to the other.

The best article I've seen on the matter is from July by the BBC:

US police shootings: How many die each year?

FBI data on police officers "feloniously killed" - killed as a result of a criminal act - indicates that the numbers have been falling, he says. Looking at the 10 years from 2006 to 2015 the annual average number of police deaths was 49.6, Stoughton says, which he notes is "down significantly from the high".

The article also notes a significant increase in the number of officers from the years when the highest numbers of officers killed --

There are a quarter of a million more police officers working today than there were three decades ago.

And regarding civilian deaths by police:

Official data on the number of people killed by the police turns out to be remarkably unreliable.

"We can't have an informed discussion, because we don't have data," FBI Director James Comey said in the House of Representatives in October.

"People have data about who went to a movie last weekend, or how many books were sold, or how many cases of the flu walked into an emergency room. And I cannot tell you how many people were shot by police in the United States last month, last year, or anything about the demographics. And that's a very bad place to be."

There are a couple charts at the link, but I don't know how to post pics... I've tried before and failed miserably!

The Washington Post gives the number of reported deaths by police at 915 for 2015, and so far we're at 738 for 2016.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: butcherguy

Nope. Not that it matters, but I moved to Riverside County from San Diego a few years ago, and before that I lived on Maui, in Hawaii, for several decades. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. I lived through the Watts riots and our family had the pleasure of housing the National Guard during Martial Law.

Thank you!
Not sure where I got the false memory that you were from Florida!

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
www.desertsun.com...

Seems like they caught the shooter. He's called John Felix and has a violent history.
Sorry I only have this newspaper article but it was the first one to show up when I tried to get more news on this.

If you read his long ass record you have to wonder how he continually got a hold of firearms in gun control paradise of California.

Previous arrests for felonies involving firearms and other violent crimes.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

It appears the update that was made to the article was a major rewrite.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, I'm in the UK and just catching up on the world news. On my sky news app it describes the two law enforcement officers as PEACE officers. Is this something the US has in the states ? A Peace Force?

If it's just another name for a police officer then where did the term come from. Third paragraph down in my screenshot

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

The rule of thumb is that "law enforcement" is, in an nutshell, going after the bad guys. A "peace officer" is, in a nutshell, more concerned with "keeping the peace." Some states make no distinction and use either term interchangeably. Other states, of which California is one, consider all sworn personnel to be law enforcement, and people like correctional officers or reserve deputies are considered peace officers.

Notably, California's penal code uses the term "peace officer" when it lays out the penalty for killing a cop, of any sort, within California.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join