It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rhinoplasty

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Omg girl congrats I hope your recovery is speedy and youre happy with the results. I am soooooo getting my nose done as soon as I can pay for it girl. I hate my nose and you were basically telling my life (nose-life?) story!

Obviously the pain is #ery, but how was in reality to your expectations? I have had a breast augmentation and that # was evil. I called my surgeron post-op with boss bitch threats to give me something stronger than he did for pain.

I needed painkillers for almost 2 months and then I was good. Once the pain was tolerable I didn't mess with the pain killers anymore, not a fan unless it's necessary. Some people get hooked though after recover unintentionally so be careful!

And anyone who hates on you for feeling more confident, pretty, and being able to breathe is just jealous. Don't let anyone make you feel like you have to explain yourself or that it's shallow.

As long as your happy that's all that matters. And it may take a few days to adjust once you're actually looking at it healed every angle, it's a weird psychological thing. Even with Michealangelo-Esque results you might have a few strange panicky days like what did I do???

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Themainbitch

Omg girl congrats I hope your recovery is speedy and youre happy with the results. I am soooooo getting my nose done as soon as I can pay for it girl. I hate my nose and you were basically telling my life (nose-life?) story!

Obviously the pain is #ery, but how was in reality to your expectations?

Honestly, the pain wasn't as bad as I thought. The first two days I was on pain meds and anti-nausea meds so I was loopy, and those two days were probably the worst for pain and I pretty much slept through it. The hardest part is the swelling, stuffiness and change in routine (I had to sleep in the recliner with my head upright). The swelling was traumatic for me and for my husband and daughter, I really did look beat to hell. Also, I went into it not expecting him to break my nose so I wasn't as psychologically prepared for what happened as I could have been. My nose is still numb and feels odd, and there is still some pain in certain spots.

There were and I'm sure still will be some days where I am startled in the mirror, but overall, he gave me a nose that is in keeping with my face and sort of... Like the nose I should have had. I am very happy with the results even with the swelling. Arrow straight, more feminine and still appropriate for my face. At the beginning there was definitely a few OMG OMG! What have I done?! moments, especially when I realized just how drastically different it was.

If you are unhappy with your nose I would definitely recommend it, but do your research so you (hopefully) only have to go through it once and hopefully not have any revisions, because it is not fun and there is not much dignity in this process.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
cool story

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Just wondering how things are going now? Any updates or photos? I hope you are recovering without issues and are happy with the results!

Have a nice Halloween!

-SeattleRat

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
How's it coming along?
My mom had rhinoplasty done, and it was a rather dramatic change- and yet, nobody (outside the family) guessed she had had it done! People just exclaimed that she looked especially beautiful lately. But looking at before and after pictures make it really really clear.

So I am kind of wondering if you were actually able to keep the town from gossiping about it ....

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Honestly, right this moment, not so happy. When I first came home from surgery there was some asymmetry that I noticed in the nostrils (it was about all I could see with the cast on). I figured it was swelling and all would be well in the end; now I am not so sure. It's still present. There is still a lot more swelling on the left side than the right, and that left nostril is still... wonky; which is driving me nuts. Also, the scar on the columella where the incision is, is strange. On the right side it's like there is a bump of skin on the upper part of the incision. It's red, it looks weird and it actually really hurts.

I'm a month out now and at my three week check, doc said "Looks great", and said that the weird nostril was due to swelling. I hope he's right. I can breathe out of the right side just fine, like I said, better than before, but the left... Not so much. Although there was a moment this afternoon when that side cleared for the first time and I could breathe clearly out both sides. It is still early days yet, but right at the moment: not so pleased as before to be honest. It's kind of tough, because I am so happy with everything else, but that left side... good grief.

I hope that the swelling, resolves on that left side and that will fix that lazy, droopy nostril, but I am less than hopeful. It does seem to be improving in teeny, tiny micro-millimeter increments so maybe... I had to be out and about this last week (we bought our first home and so we were moving in the middle of this) and the asymmetry was significant enough that people noticed so I had to explain, so... they'll think what they want at this point I guess. *sigh*

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

That seems to be a long time since the operation.... I would have thought the swelling would have gone done by now! But I am rather ignorant on the whol process. IF you aren't happy with the end result - will the doctor tweak it more without cost? I think my mom had hers done twice. I didn't see much difference , myself, between the first and second operation.

You might be seeing more subtle details than anyone else would...
but I know that ultimately, it is what you see and feel that counts though.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

That seems to be a long time since the operation.... I would have thought the swelling would have gone done by now! But I am rather ignorant on the whol process. IF you aren't happy with the end result - will the doctor tweak it more without cost? I think my mom had hers done twice. I didn't see much difference , myself, between the first and second operation.

You might be seeing more subtle details than anyone else would...
but I know that ultimately, it is what you see and feel that counts though.

They told me it can take a year (or more in some cases) for all the swelling to go away. I am unfortunate enough to have had significantly lopsided swelling, and frankly, significant swelling in general. I suppose part of that is because of the extent of the surgery and frankly, my age (I'm 40 years old, which is a bit long in the tooth for this sort thing).

As far as tweaking the end result if I'm still unhappy in the end, I suppose it all depends on what is needed. I'm pretty sure he will go back in at a discount or even for free if he feels he made a mistake that I am unhappy about, but if it is another open surgery I will need to cover the anesthesiologist and the operating theatre cost, which would still cost me thousands. If it's something that can be amended under local anesthesia in the office, then no big deal, but he won't even assess that until at least the four month mark, because of the swelling, and he won't go in for a revision for at least a year.

The aesthetic on a nose is based on micro-millimeters so it can be easy to make mistake, for things to heal wrong, or right now that discrepancy could still come down to asymmetrical swelling. For all of that, the percentage on revisions for this surgeon was 4% so... I am reasonably confident this may resolve on its own. It's driving me bonkers right now though.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Very interesting and thank you for sharing.
It sounds as if it was dreadful but, you have no regrets?

I have often thought of plastic surgery to correct some issues from past facial traumas. Specifically a shattered cheekbone and slight orbital fracture to the lower eye socket. Thankfully my nose (if looking straight on) doesn't appear 'off kilter' and I have no unusual sinus issues. In a profile, though, it is obvious (to me anyway) that my nose is wrong. Left profile and then right... For me to care is rather narcissistic but, it is something that is always with me in the back of my mind and over time one becomes quite skilled at minimizing the obvious and/or camouflaging it in some ways, especially in photographs.

This may be something that I do for myself when the kiddos are grown and gone from home. The procedures and recovery that I've seen both on TV and on line look so traumatic (even more so than the injuries themselves) and I am sort of concerned/apprehensive about healing time and having to take the pain medications to function (loss of work time etc.).

I've only read the OP so, I may come back in a bit to add more. I just wanted to share back with you and congratulate you on doing something to help yourself. I hope it all goes well and you get the results that you want.

edit on 30-10-2016 by TNMockingbird because: apparent illiteracy

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

If the swelling evens out, no regrets. None. I sure as heck don't want to go through it again though.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I didn't realize how long it had been since your surgery when I first responded. I know it was the first line of the OP but, didn't.

Doesn't that concern you at all? That seems like an awfully long time and in my work, I am talking often and in front of folks everyday so...that sort of healing time would scare me a little. I would certainly search for a physician who thought they could do everything at once and I would likely settle for the results.

I can't imagine surgery making things any worse, in my situation.

Thanks for the response and I am a little concerned that you are still swollen and hope that you have a follow up soon.

edit on 30-10-2016 by TNMockingbird because: changed they

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Sure I'm concerned, but I'm not panicking... yet anyway.

Regardless, this second type of skin swelling may take months to fully resolve and unveil the refinements made during the rhinoplasty.

Link

I used this link but this is something you will see over and over in many different places. The swelling is a Big Deal. If someone comes in to get a nose job to get ready for an event in a month most plastic surgeons will say that is a bad idea, because of the swelling. The nose tip is also the last place for the swelling to resolve and it can literally take months.

Having said that, lots and lots of people are perfectly happy with their noses at three weeks, I'm just not one. There is a decent chance that it is just asymmetrical swelling but we'll see. If it's not, I'll just have to deal with another surgery, which is irritating and not without risk. Revisions are more complicated and riskier.

My surgeon is an Otolaryngologist and a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, with a solid education and a great deal of experience. However, when he got in there, he was surprised by the extent of the damage so he ended up doing a lot more than he had anticipated or we had talked about. It was a rebuild for all intents and purposes. He was working on the fly in a lot of ways. So... Maybe things went wrong. It happens.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I was thinking of you earlier and wondered how you are healing.

Hope it is still continuing well.

I am still researching and looking into things myself so forgive my inquisitiveness, please.

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

I was thinking of you earlier and wondered how you are healing.

Hope it is still continuing well.

I am still researching and looking into things myself so forgive my inquisitiveness, please.

Thanks!

No problem. Things are improving. I had an appointment on Thursday. There is still more swelling on the left and scar tissue around the rim of that left nostril. He is quite certain that it will improve and the asymmetry does seem to be slooowwwwly improving. It's irritating though.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Im happy for you, that you had the courage to do the surgery.

I have been thinking about it for so long...

But i wonder- is it because i want the perfect nose and know my own nose is not perfect as i compare my nose to woman on instagram who have had surgery.

OR

Is it something that will really really boost my confidence. Only a few kids who are brutally honest mentioned i have a big nose. Which yes, i took to heart

My boyfriend likes to make fun of the girls who get nose jobs and get duck lips... So i feel nervous to say "hey honey, I am going to get a nose job"

How did you deal with talking about something like this to your lover who loves you just as you are???

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Hi.

Just checking in to see how the recovery is going and have you now seen the results that you had hoped for? Has the symmetry that you desired come into focus?
I suppose that patience would be my issue with this surgery...

Unless I was lounging around a beach while waiting for the finish.

Someday...

edit on 18-1-2017 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Hi.

Just checking in to see how the recovery is going and have you now seen the results that you had hoped for? Has the symmetry that you desired come into focus?
I suppose that patience would be my issue with this surgery...

Unless I was lounging around a beach while waiting for the finish.

Someday...

Hi mockingbird. There is slow improvement but my nostrils are still not completely symmetrical. It's very frustrating. My PS explained to me that within the first month about 70% - 80% of the swelling goes down, and the reaming 20%-30% can take a year. Tip swelling takes the longest to resolve.

In my case that last 20% or so is all hanging out at the left tip. There are some days where it's hard to notice any asymmetry and some days when its quite obvious. He did say that if at the year mark there is still asymmetry he will do a minor revision, but he thinks it's something that could be addresses in office and won't require a full surgery or revision rhinoplasty.

Cartilage takes a long time to heal and I am trying to be patient.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Can you shed some light on why you were so self-conscious? My sis will be going through almost the same surgery...and who knows what they will find in there too, but she, too, wants her nose reshaped and the doc said he'll do it for her. She said that she, to this day, is self-conscious about her nose, but from what I can see, it did not seem to hold her back from living life to the fullest.
edit on 19-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Honestly the only thing I had an issue with prior to surgery was an asymmetry at the tip. My right side of the very tip stuck out more than the left, so it looked like my nose drooped on the right side. Now this was something most people didn't see but I sure did.

I had a prominent nose in terms of the angle in profile, a broad and slightly over projected tip and a slight hump in profile. Because my nose had been broken at the bridge it leaned ever so slightly to the left and a more pronounce collapsed nasal vault on the right side was making that look a bit worse over time, but the only thing that bothered me enough to consider plastic surgery was that wonky tip. It looked like my right side drooped more than the left. Drove me nuts. But he fixed all of those other things and the wonky tip. All of the other things.. well I have strong features in general so I carried it off alright, I just had a quirky nose, but I have to admit it looks much better now.

We both thought the right side at the tip was the one that needed corrected, but when he got in there he realized it was the left that was abnormal. The cartilage on the left had been shoved back due to injury, and there were other issues with damage due to trauma on that left side so he ended up doing a lot more than he had anticipated with the cartilage at the tip and mid nose.

But now my right nostril is half again the size of the left if the swelling is bad, which drives me even more nuts. He is pretty confident it's swelling and it is improving slowly over time. Overall, I'm really happy with it. It's more proportional to my face and my breathing is GREATLY improved, I can't even tell you. I couldn't breathe through my nose most nights, and if I spent time with my horses (that I'm allergic to) my nose would shut down. Now, completely clear. It's remarkable.

I hope that I understood your question and that answered it.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I also wonder if your nose was the only part of your body causing you enough bother or have you found other things that need improving? I only ask because my sis seems to now have a list going.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join