It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donair

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The wife and I are binge netflix watchers, and have fallen into The Trailer Park Boys (man, i freaking love that show). One of the places they frequent is a joint called King of Donairs. Not knowing what that was, i Googled it up and discovered there is a food called a Donair that is a Canadian food (mostly Nova Scotia).

Now my curiousity is piqued....so consider this thread to be a fact gathering mission. Are they any good? How do you make them? I've seen some online recipes, but before going down such an impersonal path, I figured I'd throw it out to my Canuck friends on ATS.

So spill the beans...what's up with donairs?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The Trailer Park Boys is one of the best shows ever! I did not know about donairs. Thanks for the catch! I will impatiently wait along with you!

PS - Was at local bar and the acoustic guitar player ended his set with a song I could not quite place. I just started singing along, "... mustard and baloney, liquor and wh...."

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Donair are delicious. Spicy mystery meat with tomatoes, onions, cheese, and sweet,milky sauce. You should really come to Nova Scotia and try one. Not only is it absolutely gorgeous, nothing beats a donair from here.

If you want to make one, as I know you love to cook, try this recipe:

Link

A tip would be to shave the meat as thin as you can; and also to moisten your pita breads slightly before frying them in the reserved fats from the meat.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I like their schtick.

"Sometimes I need to, like, think about things and the thoughts just don't work in my brain compartments."

"Im just trying to be more brainly, you know....get my grade 10".

It amazes me how similar the character for Ricky is to the Tony Soprano character. Its like he did a character study in sociopathy.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

so, essentially its a gyro with a milk sauce?

I have a vertical rotisserie....what are your thoughts about cooking a spit full of lebanese or greek meatloaf on it?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

That's how it's traditionally cooked here. In a big loaf on a vertical spit. It's then shaved off with an electric knife, and fried lightly on a grill.

The only real difference between our donairs and a gyro is the sauce, and the spices.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I am so confused (and now hungry).

Is this basically a Donner kebab made with beef?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

so sunday its on. Im making some donairs.

the only challenge will be keeping everyone from wanting to treat it like a fajita.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
I am so confused (and now hungry).

Is this basically a Donner kebab made with beef?

So now you have to describe a donner kebab.

When you say that, the first thing I think of is the Donner Party. And that doesn't sound nearly as tasty.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Samsquatch always cracks me up! And every little word that is not quite right. And the concept of Santa-Jesus-god!!

The fact they actually shot in trailer parks for a couple years around Canada until they got popular... then got banned from using actual trailer parks is one of those "truth stranger than fiction" moments.

Gyro huh? Layer meat, onion, meat, peppers on the skewer! That would be delicious. Milk sauce?? I would be trying too hard end up using jarred alfredo!

Probably goes well with poutine!

edit on 7-10-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar nazi

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

My Lord Bubbles...that dude....i know people just like him. He's like Slingblade but not mentally afflicted. Or not as bad, anyway.

Conky still creeps me out. Just the name creeps me out.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Panicked and thought you didn't have Donner kebab s ( what would you eat when drunk and hungry).

Think it is more or less the same as a gyro. Do you have the meat with Chips * and cheese? That is truly the food of the gods.

*Fries . Communicating in what is meant to be the same language shouldn't be this complicated.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

we do chili cheese fries.

Actually, if you put bacon, cheese, and jalapenos on your fries then dip in ranch, we call them "texas fries".

For the most part, we just dip fries in ketchup or "gravy" (essentially, a bechamel sauce with pepper and maybe made with a chicken grease or bacon grease roux)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I don't think they got banned from shooting in trailer parks, lol. They shoot pretty close to me town ( everywhere in NS is close to everywhere else).

[url=http://www.trurodaily.com/News/Local/2016-06-23/article-4569176/The-Trailer-Park-Boys-are-back-in-town,-make-stop-in-Truro-Police-cells/1]Link[/u rl]
edit on 7-10-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

"Bubbles" had his own bar in Halifax for a short time...it was...something else.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Opened thread just to find out what is a “Donair”?

Now I too want to hear from first hand Donair eaters, JohnnyCanuck???

Here is a website with a little history www.bashachef.com...
they look absolutely yummy!!!

Shaving off the meat

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I think my cholesterol levels just doubled reading that, and I live where deep frying a Mars bar in batter is considered a delicacy... *

*Something I have never eaten, I have some standards.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

I think my cholesterol levels just doubled reading that, and I live where deep frying a Mars bar in batter is considered a delicacy... *

*Something I have never eaten, I have some standards.

Hey now...if you've not eated deep fried (insert food here), you need to try it.

link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

That looks awesome. I am now so hungry I had to stop myself licking my phone. ( People would judge)

link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

No! No, no, no, no, no. Basha Donairs are in Alberta and are an abomination. Filled with ...bbq sauce! This is not traditional in the least. Nova Scotians are known to fill coolers with donairs and fly them "out west" for friends and family.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join