It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Magazine: This Is What World War III Will Look Like

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

An array of science-fiction-like technologies would likely make their debut in such a war, from AI battle management systems to autonomous robotics. But unlike the ISIS’s of the world, great powers can also go after high-tech’s new vulnerabilities, such as by hacking systems and knocking down GPS. The recent steps taken by the U.S. Naval Academy illustrate where things might be headed. It added a cybersecurity major to develop a new corps of digital warriors, and also requires all midshipmen learn celestial navigation, for when the high tech inevitably runs into the age old fog and friction of war.

While many leaders on both sides think any clash might be geographically contained to the straights of Taiwan or the edge of the Baltic, these technological and tactical shifts mean such a conflict is more likely to reach into each side’s homelands in new ways. Just as the Internet reshaped our notions of borders, so too would a war waged partly online.
SOURCE

There are probably a few people on this forum who have information about secret military weapons, but most of us are in the dark. Everyone is fixated on how WW3 would go nuclear, but what if there's secret technology that makes nuclear weapons obsolete? That could be the piece to the puzzle that we're all missing.

When it comes to how the world would be divided, is there any doubt that Europe would side with NATO? I would imagine most of the Middle East would side with Russia/China.

The elephant in the room that can't be missed is the fact that the United States no longer has the manufacturing base domestically to support a long war. Would China confiscate all foreign-owned investments?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

is there any doubt that Europe would side with NATO?

Depends, the big head leaders surely do. And then they'd have to fight general strikes throughout the south. By then France and Germany are in the midst of an uprise as well, wanna bet?

Just my 2 cents with greetings from Germany.

PS: it's easy. Don't obey stupid orders in case of doubt and don't give in to all the fear-mongering recently. Live the life you wanna see, it's short enough to care less about the apocalypse. Over & Out.

edit on 6-10-2016 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I believe in a drawn out conflict we would see a massive leap in weapons systems and technology, just like during WW2.

The thing is there are so many super weapons, both in the public domain and off the books, that if a "hot war" were to ever kick off it would probably last about 2 hours. Either one side would be completely wiped out, both sides would be completely wiped out, or so much horrendous devastation would be inflicted on humanity that cooler minds would step in and pull the plug before the damage became irreversible.

In the end we would be left with either a). a Fallout scenario where civilization comes to a stand still and has to rebuild on the bones of the old world. b). an Elysium scenario where the elite would retreat to a safe zone and rebuild the world as they see fit. or c). A united federation "one-world government" scenario, where the devastation is swift but limited, and the world would unite to prevent it from ever happening again.

edit on 6-10-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I hear the green lady's armament is pretty devastating.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Time Magazine: This Is What World War III Will Look Like ....

Classic Hollandaise Sauce

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

edit on 6-10-2016 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Why use nukes when an EMP would serve as well? Most people in a developed nation would die from starvation in a few months, and what was left would be pretty easy to subjugate for any military force.

Imagine with the groups of Muslims who have recently come from third world subsistence conditions what such a thing in Europe would look like. They're already well infiltrated by a guerilla force that could begin taking advantage of the change in conditions almost as soon as they occur.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

The Drone Wars would be my guess

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Time to smoke my precious cigars I guess

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Time Magazine: This Is What World War III Will Look Like ....

Classic Hollandaise Sauce

... slightly phosphorescent though.

But think of the 'kids' for a second, our beloved machines of loving grace. Imagine all those Red/ Blue Team PR bots a few decades after, battling themselves in the last underground internetz to sway the opinion of all the people who're long gone.

Classic comic gold, Hollandaise for bits n bites!

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

The Next War would most likely be ...........

A.I. The Terror From Orbital Space

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
While on the subject of ww3 I will leave this here an interesting and thought provoking read

www.cracked.com...

My guess is that nuclear options are no longer the go to for mass devastation. Weaponry has surpassed the need to make a large swath of land uninhabitable. Be it emp weaponry, space lasers or who knows what else in sure by now we have figured out the next game changer.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   

The only need for a conventional army in the near future will be to quell and quiet the citizens of the world. We just have to finish up these pesky resource wars first.

The elephant in the room that can't be missed is the fact that the United States no longer has the manufacturing base domestically to support a long war. Would China confiscate all foreign-owned investments?

China can not confiscate active military units and large scale warfare doesn't necessarily require consuming mass amounts of resources any more. The capability to vaporize your enemies in an instant from anywhere on and above earth is not intended to be used in a long term war, merely to eliminate the competition as quickly as possible.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

It could be possible that instead of armies fighting, in order to settle disputes nations decided to settle their differences hunger games style with people watching it on TV.

Basically it goes like this:

Let's say China and the US have a land dispute. Instead of fighting a war with an army they decided to have small teams of fighters in an arena fight each other. The country that won wins the dispute.

edit on 10/6/2016 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Just a quick reminder, let's not get of ourselves... AI still does not exist.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

I'd second this assessment.

The politcal class - mostly, yes.
Financial business - nope.
Industry and commerce - neither.
... and the general public was just reprimanded from our chancellorette for being "Anti-American".

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Jason88

They say that the technology available to the pubic is at least 10 years behind what is actually out there. Hell, MI6 was using Ipads in the 90's. Not saying real, sentient AI exists... but if we have commercially available smart cars, smart drones, smart programs and smart everything, imagine what we don't know about.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This seems kind of like a doom thread, so I figure I can post this. We may not need to wait for WW3.

The End of Our World.
edit on 6-10-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
No one to blame, No bombs
Everyone's been expecting it
viewed and accepted as nature taking its course
except to those who engineered it
Those with the antidote, with the means to disperse it amongst a desired population.
A plague is what ww3 will be
The next mass casualty event, the first and final blow of ww3.
This is the way the world ends, Not with a bang but a whimper. Eliot
edit on 7-10-2016 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
a reply to: Jason88

They say that the technology available to the pubic is at least 10 years behind what is actually out there. Hell, MI6 was using Ipads in the 90's. Not saying real, sentient AI exists... but if we have commercially available smart cars, smart drones, smart programs and smart everything, imagine what we don't know about.

Got any proofs to those claims?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join