It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Party Madness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Hurricane Matthew is currently barreling towards the Florida coast. Many threads on that already.

I wanted to open a discussion on those that choose to remain.

In the face of such devastating destruction there are those that refuse to leave. Are they brave? Insane?

Just plain stubborn?

It always confused me. I'd evacuate, personally. I'd want my family safe. I don't know why people stay.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Meh. I'm on the west coast of FL. I'm not going anywhere.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Why is a news man more qualified than I to stand in a storm and go WOW?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm not there, Fortunately. But speaking for myself, It's fairly exciting. Plus, People will most likely need to be rescued. Instant fame and hero status locally
Or it could go the opposite way and i would end up naked on international news being air lifted into a chopper.
edit on 6-10-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Perhaps a lack of funds? Because i'm curious to know what happens when there is a mandatory evacuation, but you don't have the money to stay somewhere. I know there are safe locations provided, but surely they fill up fairly quick. Is there an insurance that pays for that?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

People stay because just like a heart attack nobody thinks it's going to be them...and because the media hypes up a great deal of news for the sake of ratings...they cry wolf an awful lot

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Tekaran

I guess some are just stuck for whatever reason either transportation or financial.

I'm just curious about the people that choose to stay.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Perhaps a lack of funds?

There it is partially. Not everyone has a car or money to travel. Poor people got no choice really. They have to stay where they at. So why not party? Might be the last hurrah.

Katrina victims weren't the people that left as much as the ones that stayed. The news reels were full of them.

This isn't Katrina.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Adrenaline is a very powerful drug. Why does anyone chase tornadoes, ride the big surf, skydive, free climb the rocks or drive in Boston.

Big weather is the poor mans extreme sport. Testing your limits is very seductive.
edit on 6-10-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I guess some are just stuck for whatever reason either transportation or financial.

I'm just curious about the people that choose to stay.

Hurricane Camille in 1969 and the Hurricane party that got wiped out.

Wiki

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have video on my phone of Shepard Smith on FOX today saying:

This hurricane will kill you, your friends, family, and your pets.

Unless you get lucky!

All while the words 'THIS HURRICANE WILL KILL YOU' in bottom banner on the screen.

I'll upload it later.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I usually rent a couple hotel rooms right on the beach with some friends and bring lots of booze and food and have a party, but it's on the other coast this time.

In case you are wondering, yes we go outside during the hurricane against the rules...with beer in hand

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Here is the fox link.

www.foxnews.com...

And Words from governor Rick Scott...
"Do not go on the beach. This will kill you," Gov. Rick Scott warned. "The storm has already killed people."
edit on 6-10-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
I have video on my phone of Shepard Smith on FOX today saying:

This hurricane will kill you, your friends, family, and your pets.

Unless you get lucky!

All while the words 'THIS HURRICANE WILL KILL YOU' in bottom banner on the screen.

I'll upload it later.

Not saying the hurricane won't be deadly? But Sheppard Smith's picture should be in the dictionary as the figure head of Drama Queens?

Every shooting, every bad thing that happens, you can always count on DQ SHEP to ramble for an hour of every conceivable possibility of how and why something happened....

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Yea the lizard king governor did some fear mongering, too.

Shepard Smith just parroted it.

Here's my video:

Apparently I stopped recording right before he says 'Unless you get lucky!' but believe me, he says it (ominously).

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Living in Florida when I was a wild one, I've attended and hosted hurricane parties. Foolish? Perhaps.

Having children, for me, changed the rules of the game and if I lived in Miami, Cocoa or Daytona today I would evacuate at least inland to Central Florida.
Andrew was awful and I was about an hour north of where it landed. It was the worst devastation I had seen at that time.

I think some of the folks are thrill seekers and if they've been through the hurricanes of the past, they feel that they know what to do to be safe. Ten foot tall and bulletproof, I guess.

The alcohol and like minded daredevils only increases that feeling of indestructibility.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Greetings from central Flori-Duh.. I have an immobile 76 y.o. Mother-In-Law, My Wife has 44 patients from Jacksonville and can't leave and I have an elderly dog that isn't too mobile so instead of being 'prudent' I'm going to stick it out.

I look at it this way.. My anahata (heart chakra) is in the 'correct position' so if I end up "passing" then it would be better this way rather than crapping My pants down at Thee Ye Olde Folks Home, I wouldn't be crapping My pants for anything wrong medically but doing it out of boredom.

I'm thinking You get "extra credit" if You don't leave the less mobile behind. If I do depart, I'll see if I can't fiddle with the election from the 'other side'

Dangling Chads Part Deux- The pack of lips.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I've definitely taken a risk or two in my lifetime. I can't say I'm the sharpest knife in the drawer.

But hurricane's are something altogether different.

In my opinion.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
When I lived in Miami Beach from 2011-2014 I lived on Collins Ave & 32nd in an apartment on the 6th floor.

My neighbor had a fully functional canoe hanging on his wall. If a hurricane should come, we would have just been totally stoked to not have to go to work that day. And if a tidal wave hit, we could canoe it to a safer place.

Either way I wouldn't be evacuating.

Living in FL long enough has taught me how to prepare for the apocalypse.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Anyone who chooses to stay and party in defiance of the hurricane should read up on what happened to those who did that very thing when Camille was incoming. My grandmother survived that storm because she left. Everyone else she knew who stayed there thinking it was a fun, exciting adventure was killed.

I feel awful for those who are staying because they have no way to get out. It sickens me to see how many people are talking about it like it's a spectator event or something. A category 5 storm that could result in tragic loss of life and leave entire families devastated and homeless shouldn't be a source of entertainment for other people. The fact that it is makes me feel really sad.

Hopefully, those who are trapped and unable to get to safety will be OK. What a horrible way to die.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join