It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Hurricane Center- Matthew Strengthening

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I don't blame him for being leery after all the "help" they got from the Clinton Foundation and from the Red Cross. I'm sure the Red Cross at least did some good, but after receiving billions in donations after the earthquake, they only ever built 6 houses.

And then there is the reality that Haiti is very corrupt. All their kickback and bribe ducks have to be on site and ready to get their cuts.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Whew. Made it through the storm, sorry for no updates. Lost power, then signal. Just got power back. I have sone pictures of the damage to upload if anyone is interested.
edit on 7-10-2016 by FightingBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FightingBuddha

glad you are ok.....fine with with me if you want to load pics!...so...,if this hurricane swings back through will you be ok??

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

You must have nerves of steel!!
Even though the storm intensity lessened from what it was you still have nerves of steel because of where you are located.

I was concerned about you. I'm glad you are good.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: FightingBuddha
Whew. Made it through the storm, sorry for no updates. Lost power, then signal. Just got power back. I have sone pictures of the damage to upload if anyone is interested.

I'm glad you made it through.

I trust your neighbors are also all right? I know you mentioned you partially stayed to help them.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: FightingBuddha

Definitely, throw them up!

I fully expected to lose the roof off the building here because of the unbraced huge overhang (facing the windward side too), but we lucked out when we came back this morning and the roof was still here.

Evacuated 10miles west and we didn't even lose power all night!

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll
From what I can understand from people who have been there doing charitable work since the earthquake, they are thoroughly disgusted with US "help" because the US wants it done the way they say and the Haitians want to do it their way. It is, after all, their country. I've never been there but have close relatives and friends who have made trips there in the past couple of years and they say it was very uncomfortable until the Haitians learned to trust them. They don't trust anyone from the Clinton Foundation or the Red Cross. I think there are pretty good reasons for their distrust.

Ugly, pushy Americans give us all a bad name. Just because we are now raised in single family households doesn't mean we should force other cultures to adhere to our ways. Multi-generational households are the norm there---not a separate house for grandpa and grandma but three generations in one small house. It's their way.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
They know that all material things are temporary and see storms like these as being Mother Nature's way of cleansing the earth. If their houses get blown away, they scurry about, find materials and put up another one. I get it that Americans don't understand that way of life but they see our way of life as just as strange---so many things to protect and keep track of and be upset over if any of those things are lost. They put a greater store by happiness than by possessions. I know that sounds trite but I've seen it in Jamaica when I got to know the people there. So long as the roof over their head keeps the rain out, it's fine if it's only a tin shack.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Glad it's over for you and you're okay. Would love to see the pix.

I'm still anxious about friends in Charleston, haven't heard from them and don't know if they're just partying on....hoping for the best. They rode out Hugo so I've confidence in their ability to prepare and survive but can't help a bit of anxiety. Last Saturday night we were all partying on the deck watching the lighting of the Morris Island lighthouse for the first time in decades.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Just heard from two friends in Charleston area, one near Folly Beach and one about two miles inland. Both say everything is okay and they're expected it to last for at least a couple more hours. They're prepared. The pix I saw on cnn didn't strike fear in my heart because I've seen more flooding on Market Street from a sudden downpour. I'm just hoping that the unprepared got out of the city safely.
Their pets are freaked out by the boarded-up windows.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Here I is, safe and sound. Made it through with Minsk damage. Some branches down, some shingles off the roof, but not bad, considering. Just waiting for the power to come back on.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Its picking back up here in mount pleasant SC I live on a golf course it now looks like a lake. Lost power for about an hour two hours ago.
edit on 8-10-2016 by CrazyK22 because: Incomplete

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: CrazyK22 Hang in there. Hopefully you've seen the worst of it and you power comes back soon.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: greg302

Power back on I may of broke my phone outside trying to take a video safety isn't my forte lol

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Okay so this is my first hurricane do they come with an electrical surge or something. My phone is fine the only thing wrong is the video first playback absolutely fine then it's become a green screen after about 1 second im kinda frustrated I wanted to post it my phone has zero water damage its just this dang video resets the phone. Everything else works fine I can watch all my other videos except this one? HARRP!!!! Lol
edit on 8-10-2016 by CrazyK22 because: Cause I'm frustrated

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
NOTICE:

The eye of Matthew has now started to deviate from predicted paths, and has not turned right with the coastline to head out to sea. Instead, the eye is continuing straight northward over land. Hopefully this will weaken it more, but you never know. Therefore, watch out SC and NC. This thing may come barrelling straight up our ying yangs.

Taken just moments ago:

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican
I'm at 32.83 N 79.82 W Eeeekkkk!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
A lower magnitude hurricane can be devastating if it sits and churns over long periods

Lots of rain dumped inland mean over flowing rivers, flooding inland and near the coast. Combined with multiple hi tides and some storm surge, let alone sustained wind damage and tornado spawn, can all add up to cause more damage than a stronger shorter duration hurricane.

The way it keeps grazing the coast and not moving inland (where it will quickly lose energy) is certainly compelling. Some projections have it returning southward and maybe even combining with the next storm thats crossing the Atlantic...

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Last Updated: 10/8/2016, 1:00:00 PM (Central Standard Time)

Movement: NE at 12 mph
Wind: 75 MPH
Pressure: 972 MB

During the next 12 to 24 hours, while the Matthew is hugging the US coast and taking on a more extratropical structure, the tropical-storm-force winds are expected to expand and strengthen in the western semicircle and continue to affect portions of the coast within the warning area.

The cloud pattern associated with Matthew is beginning to acquire
some extratropical characteristics. The wind field is expanding, and
the area of heavy rains is now northwest of the center. Data from
NOAA and Air Force reconnaissance aircraft around 1200 UTC indicated
that the surface winds have decreased to around 65 kt.
Matthew is already embedded in the mid-latitude westerly flow and is
moving toward the northeast or 050 degrees at 10 kt. The steering
pattern is forecast to persist for the next day or two, and on this
basis the NHC forecast moves the cyclone eastward until it becomes
absorbed. Previous NHC official forecasts followed the emcwf in
keeping the cyclone a distinct entity longer and looping it
southward, but even if this the case the system will likely be only
a broad area of low pressure.

Due to the degradation of Matthew's radar signature, the hourly
tropical cyclone updates will not longer be issued.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Is this mother of all storms of the century over yet? The news stopped covering it when Donald Trump pre-empted everything.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join