It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
People, dont fall for the bigot baiting. One woman out of how many?

Wheres the threads about saudi arabia , or hindus killing muslims, or muslins being intollerant of gays, or any of a multitude inter racial/religious issues going on worldwide?

This bigot baiting trend of Americans is solely to push an agenda.

Shameful.
edit on 6-10-2016 by BlueJacket because: Sp

edit on 6-10-2016 by BlueJacket because: Damn phone

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
a reply to: Irishhaf

There is a difference between teaching religion and teaching humanities and culture. Of course some are ignorant of the difference.

What's ignorant is the lack of self awareness. Has anyone here EVER seen a left winger/liberal/democrat DEFEND any teaching of Christianity in schools? It's always Islam that you guys are defending.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
but the curriculum is covering christian religion also...as well as a few others.
so if it's teaching Islam, then it's also teaching christian. more than likely both in the same manner and in an equal manner. I imagine the lady wouldn't mind if the school kept that part of the curriculum that covered the christian aspect... but, god forbid the school expose her kids to the fact that their is opposing viewpoints on the subject.!!

teaching the historical significance of the various religions and their influence on the cultures of the world is a far cry from sending the non-christian kids out into the hallway while the teacher and her christian kids say their morning prayers because those non-christian kids had a problem praying to jesus! they're not teaching kids that they should leave a wounded cow suffering in the road because it might be their dead ancestor, or weaving prayer mats to pray on the five or whatever times a day on.
but at least when they grow up, they will have the knowledge that some people in india just may find it really offensive if you shoot that injured cow and put it out of it's misery and some of the other quirkier routines that are present in other areas of the world.

the christains have no reason to complain in this one... the kids are also learning about jesus, and moses, and abraham, ect.
now, these people have something to complain about, and I'm afraid that if their religion was also included in the curriculum, most of the parents just may have something to complain about also.

Phoenix Goddess Temple Priestess Tracy Elise Heads to Prison
www.phoenixnewtimes.com...

for those who don't know what religious persecution really is....

that is religious persecution!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Michelle Edmisten claims her daughter’s “personal religious beliefs were violated” with lessons about Islam, according to the Kingsport Times News. Her daughter opted out of those classes and was given zeroes for refusing the work.

“Those are zeroes that we proudly took and we will not compromise,” Edmisten was quoted as saying.

Wonderful demonstration of the mind set that leads straight to religious wars and critters like Daesh. I can feel the righteous indignation from here. Teaching about the existence of something violates personal religious beliefs? Coming on a bit queasy now...
edit on 6-10-2016 by Open_Minded Skeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
For years I have been told that we cannot teach religion in school... so how come now a days its ok to teach Islam?

If you want to teach about another culture sure... fine no problem from me.. but for 20+ years liberals have been saying you cannot push teach or have anything to do with religion in schools because it violates separation of church and state..

So which is it... no religion in schools or not?

They're teaching about religion. Teaching about communism isn't communism indoctrination. That's different than teaching religion (though a dangerous fine line I wouldn't want to walk.)

I wonder if this mother had her daughter in the same school district last year. No outrage about Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism? I guess she's a pantheist and subscribers to all 4 of those religions?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

I went to a predominately mixed school of about half Muslim, half christian(Protestants and Catholics).

I can remember around the time of the first Gulf war, about 1990, some really interesting heated debates taking place in our R.E class to the tune of rather a few of us being banned.

There was this wee Muslim guy named Nasa who got removed from class down to his views(which obviously came from the parents us being only 14-15 years old) regarding Saddam Hussein's occupation of Kuwait.

Looking back on the incident with foresight i suppose the guy was entitled to his opinions, however misguided they may have been, but that did not stop the rest of the wee young team from from demonizing and beating the living crap out the poor misguided soul for the next few school terms.
edit on 6-10-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Well none of those religions are waging war across the planet either.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It's easy to teach about groups who no longer exist anymore. nill chance of someone converting to it. Allows us to be a little more truthful about extinct religions/groups.

No one is going to convert to a puritan and they get bashed enough by the salem witch trials.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Do they teach Christian beliefs in school? They didn't when I went. But we all know Islam isn't just a religion, but a strict dogma to control political issues and people in general. By the sword it would seem.a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

The crap that woman was going on about is shameful.

"This bigot baiting trend of Americans is solely to push an agenda."

Seems to be working out rather well for Donald Trumps agenda, considering all he seems to do is say stupid things that appeal to a significant percentage what i can only assume are stupid people. He certainly manages to bait those bigots.

Completely agree that there is an agenda being pushed but lets face it has it really ever been any other way?

There is always an agenda at play.
edit on 6-10-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

I wonder if this mother had her daughter in the same school district last year. No outrage about Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism? I guess she's a pantheist and subscribers to all 4 of those religions?

Those religions are much less likely to put oneself into danger and much less likely to effect their moral structure in a negative way. That is the thinking there.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
a reply to: dogstar23

waging war across the planet

this phrase right here seems to describe what the US is doing more of than any other group in the world.
and we have the military power to do it! ya know, bombs, missles, tanks, heck even nukes if we want to get real crazy about it.

it's a far cry from the shoe bomber attack that the great islamic army tried to pull off a few years ago!

and gee.... one could even say that the present wars could be religious in nature.. a crusade as bush termed it...

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

What a mong.
What about people who study theology.
The study of religions is not conversion to a religion.
The school also has Christianity in their curriculum.
Just grow a sack and say its because its Islamic theology.
As long as they are not making people pray or perform religious rituals on said religion in the curriculum then, its just a study of religion.

Im thinking you and that woman would be the only two ignoramus standing on that topic and the meeting. (You and other mongs who showered you with stars).
edit on 6-10-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
For years I have been told that we cannot teach religion in school... so how come now a days its ok to teach Islam?

If you want to teach about another culture sure... fine no problem from me.. but for 20+ years liberals have been saying you cannot push teach or have anything to do with religion in schools because it violates separation of church and state..

So which is it... no religion in schools or not?

THIS AND ITS NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR IT TO BE MENTIONED IN ANY WAY AS FOLLOWING IT VIOLATES ALL LAWS OF CIVILIZED NATIONS!

I THREW A FIT YEARS AGO AND HAVE A THREAD ABOUT IT! IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE!

AND I'M INNER GNOSTIC NOT FUNDAMENTALIST CHRISTIAN.

BUT BURKA's, HIJAB's OFFEND ME. AND THAT''S JUST THE START OF THE LIST. SEEING THAT MASSIVE ABUSE CAUSES NEED FOR THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF COUNSELING FOR WOMEN AND CHILDREN.

IT''S EVIL!
edit on 6-10-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Hijab and such are cultural.
Can look really Sexy if done right (eye make up and such) my girlfriend wears one every now and then.
She is a very moderate muslim who enjoys a drink but still wears it due to her parents culture not the religion.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

I learned a little bit about the main religions when I was in school.
when my sons were in school, they seems to be learning a little more,
who jesus was was taught, who moses was was taught, as well as mohammed and the main players in the other relgions. that was in the 90's and 2000's.
at that time, it was part of world history or world cultures. now they moved it to religious studies, I'm not sure if they did that and are now going further into depth about the religions, but I have to say...
it's the christians that keep griping about how god was taking out of the schools and if they are going into more depth it seems that that would be putting more of god back into the schools. they just have to be fair about it and not just put one religion back into the schools. so again, I still don't see what the problem is. unless of course, the god they want to put back into the schools is only their version of god!
ya know, back when I was in school they taught us that some people believe that trees, the plants, the animals, even the rocks held god within them!! and I never heard anyone complain like they are today!!

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Look at all the poor triggered souls.

Some even going full retard with ALL CAPS.

This is hilarious.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Also against TnC isn't it?.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
Also against TnC isn't it?.

I believe so.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
When I was growing up ( In TN) we had a moment of silence or prayed on the intercom. Whether you call your God, yourself, Ghandi, Apollo, Allah, Jesus... who cares.

Prayer never physically hurt anyone and they say a meditation such as prayer is shown to make a difference. Schools need meditation as much as they need gym. Free the mind and connecting to your inner self is a great thing imo.

As an adult I had to teach myself about all the myths. I have a huge book with all kinds of God's in it and I turned out just fine.

This woman crying over Islam is naive and silly.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join