It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

160 Years of Chocolate Bars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Up to and including the 19th century, confectionery of all sorts was typically sold in small pieces to be bagged and bought by weight. The introduction of chocolate as something that could be eaten as is, rather than used to make beverages or desserts, resulted in the earliest bar forms, or tablets. At some point, chocolates came to mean any chocolate-covered sweets, whether nuts, creams (fondant), caramel candies, or others. The chocolate bar evolved from all of these in the late-19th century as a way of packaging and selling candy more conveniently for both buyer and seller; however, the buyer had to pay for the packaging. It was considerably cheaper to buy candy loose, or in bulk.
The steps in making a praline chocolate bar

In 1847, Joseph Fry found a way to mix the ingredients of cocoa powder, sugar and cocoa to manufacture a paste that could then be molded into a chocolate bar proper for consumption.[2] Subsequently, his chocolate factory, known as the Fry's chocolate factory and located in Bristol, England, began mass-producing chocolate bars and they became very popular.

The question is... what Bar reigns supreme?

Unfortunately my vote is... any one in reach for the most part

Though IF i had to pick

Coffee Crisp

Twix

My all time Favorite is an Egg... lol

IF you had to choose the the Bar that ruled all others created as such...

How would you choose?

edit on 2-10-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Cadburys Bournville dark chocolate for me.
Any dark chocolate or a bounty bar.
No USA chocolate it isn't chocolate it tastes like really cheap easter eggs.
Or a Walnut whip.
I'm lucky my step dad works in a chocolate factory
we get 2nds of Kit Kats and some of them are just all chocolate no wafer
I got last week a big bag of 2nds fo walnut whip but they had no walnut
just the whip.
edit on 2-10-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

MMmm... chocolate...

Need to get me a lion bar.. or maybe a pack of snickers ice cream.. fudge yeah, to the shop it is then.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Chocolate was developed by Joseph Fry in my home city of Bristol. Fry's merged with Cadbury's in 1919 and production was moved to Keynsham, Somerdale site in the 1920's. Unfortunately it is no longer made in Bristol because Kraft bought Cadbury's and moved the production over to Poland, it's all about profit margins of course. As a consequence my family and I have boycotted Cadbury products.

Prior to the sell out to Kraft, I would have gone with Fry's Turkish Delight or Cadbury's Twirl bar.

Now I would say my favourite is a Galaxy caramel bar.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Yeah same with rowntree mackintosh taken over by Nestle. Not sure If it will stay open much longer tbh it doesn't look good for my step dad
A guy in my pub used to come in old Colin who worked for RM and he invented Tootie Fruities
I had to buy him a pint for that.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

how do I go on a date with you?
Alternatively my wife can date you as long as I get "the goods"

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Thing is everyone says that to my step dad he hates the stuff now, he is an engineer who makes the machines and when they go wrong he can be covered head to toe in melted chocolate lol.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I love chocolate. There's this little store that I used to go to that has organic food. They carried a lot of different kinds of chocolate bars. These are dark chocolate and not processed with alkali. One of my favorites was chilies and nibs. The combination of the spiciness of the chilies and the taste of the dark chocolate is outstanding. They also had bars with blueberries in them, which was good.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Oh, chocolate... I used to be a complete chocaholic and lived on 5 bars a day which gave me my required calorie intake.

Let's see: Kit Kat for lunch and a Mars Bar for dinner. Maybe a bit more variety with my first bar of the day, eaten with my midmorning cup of tea.

Favorites include: Crunchie. Fry's Turkish Delight. Those little bars that are like a mini box of chocolates. Bounty Bars. A huge slab of Dairy Milk. Mint Aero (mint and chocolate - what a combination).

My fridge used to contain nothing more than chocolate and a pint of milk.

Easter Eggs - who could ever tire of that 'crunch' when you break into them?

I think I'll just slink away now...

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

You mentioned kit kats.
Check these out.

kotaku.com...

Just shows how tastes vary around the world.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

What "American chocolate" have you tried?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

That explains why my favorite chocolate bars taste like garbage now. Same with Rowntree. None of the treats I enjoyed as a child taste the same, and some are now not to be found anywhere. My mainstay right now would be a plain ol' Hershey bar because it's as close to tasting original as I can find. Mind you, Lindt chocolates are awesome.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Dark chocolate for this pussycat... I don't care for milk chocolate, I find it way too sweet for my taste buds.

Terry's Dark Chocolate Orange at Christmas time is my fave treat (I've been shoving them into the toe of everyone's Xmas stockings for years)... and who doesn't love to take that sucker and smack it on a tabletop to break open the wedges ?

Orange and chocolate... the bestest combination evah !

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

There are no bad bars...but I'm with you.

Coffee crisp reigns supreme for me.

Mars is a close second

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'm drooling here. Any chocolate that is rich and creamy works for me, preferably milk chocolate.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Dark chocolate for this pussycat... I don't care for milk chocolate, I find it way too sweet for my taste buds.

Terry's Dark Chocolate Orange at Christmas time is my fave treat (I've been shoving them into the toe of everyone's Xmas stockings for years)... and who doesn't love to take that sucker and smack it on a tabletop to break open the wedges ?

Orange and chocolate... the bestest combination evah !

Thats not a bar...

just as my Ultimate Egg shall not be included

top topics

join