It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House wants to add new racial category for Middle Eastern people

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

And the party of segregation lives on.

Still think the parties 'switched' sides ?

Just a hunch but I bet this has more to do with 'congress' than it does Obama.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Thanks for the information, I agree with you, I don't see this as a partisan issue. Except for Neo, who envisions reorganizing the whole thing and have everyone check that they are American as their ethnicity. But that is nationality.
edit on 01pmSat, 01 Oct 2016 21:17:25 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 01pmSat, 01 Oct 2016 21:24:45 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

For the types of crimes I think you're referring to, economic status seems to have more to do with it than ethnicity.
edit on 1-10-2016 by MiddleInitial because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
Xuen, did you know that this is how the Census Bureau categorizes "white" people right now?:

White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

www.census.gov...

So right now, Arabs, Kurdish people, and other ethnic groups from North Africa and the "Middle East" are counted as "white". How does that make any sense?

Oh no, they're some of those icky white people!

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I imagine this could have something to do with background checks for gun purchases. They specifically ask if you're of hispanic origin, but not middle eastern. Perhaps it would be used as a possible flag?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

This is a classification of people not segregating them.
edit on 1610000003231America/ChicagoSat, 01 Oct 2016 21:52:32 -05002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

This is a classification of people not segregating them.

Is that so?

verb (used with object), segregated, segregating. 1. to separate or set apart from others or from the main body or group; isolate:

www.dictionary.com...

So much for all things being EQUAL.

Better yet so much for E. Pluribus Unum.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
How about just human, that should be good enough

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

Thanks for the information, I agree with you, I don't see this as a partisan issue. Except for Neo, who envisions reorganizing the whole thing and have everyone check that they are American as their ethnicity. But that is nationality.

No problem. And I have no idea what his/her problem is. This has nothing to do with segregation or anything else like that. But sometimes, people seem to make mountains out of molehills.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
What a remarkably racist thing to do.

There isn't a single ethnic group in the middle east. Arabs are the primary or dominant ethnic group but they are by no means the only one.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I didn't say or imply that. I'm just pointing out that these racial categories don't make sense as they are, either.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

I didn't say or imply that. I'm just pointing out that these racial categories don't make sense as they are, either.

Well of course not, if you don't have your special racial group to build grievnaces on and are just lumped in with "white," then it means that everything bad that happens is partially your fault and there aren't any special legal protections or programs you can claim for checking your government survey box on every application form.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
What a remarkably racist thing to do.

There isn't a single ethnic group in the middle east. Arabs are the primary or dominant ethnic group but they are by no means the only one.

Yes, it is racist. All racial categories are racist by definition. But how are they any different from the other racial categories, which are also comprised of vast collections of different ethnic groups? These are the racial categories that the US government uses & lists (HERE):

White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

American Indian or Alaska Native – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

I feel like I'm in some kind of dimension warp or something. There's no way I'm the only person who knows this stuff & why they still use it. Is this what people call the Mandela Effect? Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if the world suddenly forgot and rejected "race" and only judged people by their character & merits. But there's no way I woke up and that's the reality I'm in.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

So, Does this new "group" include Spanish, Italians, and Greeks?

You know, most of us from the Mediterranean region, near East, and North Africa have been integrated with each other for THOUSANDS of years.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Whatever, I've got a dead friend because of it. Also maybe some races are just more impulsive to situations. Yes perhaps a stereotype but man, little Asian kids really piss me off with there skills on musical instruments. And being of Scot decent, my family drinks more then their share! Maybe we all bleed red, but are not exactly the same?a reply to: MiddleInitial

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Xuen, did you know that this is how the Census Bureau categorizes "white" people right now?:

www.census.gov...

So right now, Arabs, Kurdish people, and other ethnic groups from North Africa and the "Middle East" are counted as "white". How does that make any sense?

Got a problem with that? Do you need a grievance card issued?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
< scratches head > Last time I checked, Middle Easterners were predominantly ethnically more Arab than white, sooo... Yeah, nice try, Xuen.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I think that White House needs to change it's name...because it's racist.

Let's call it...Non Color Biased House...

edit:

Nah...that was stupid...

perhaps...Colorless House...or maybe even Rainbow House.

Yeah...I like that...Rainbow House.
edit on 2-10-2016 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

LATINS as well.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Everyone

The evolution of fair skin and hair is considered to be caused by the need to absorb more sunlight for vitamin D production. Since Europe is in the Northern Hemisphere and further away from the equator, populations there would benefit from having light skin and hair.

Last I checked fair skin and hair is a genetic trait that was unique to the Neanderthal species. They originated in Southern Europe and expanded out from there.

Now as far as our current scientific and historical understanding goes, modern humans originated in Africa, had dark/black skin, and migrated into Europe where they interbred with Neanderthals, that along with thousands of years of migration to a fro explains why most (around 90%) Europeans, Indo-Europeans, Middle Easterners, North Africans, and Americans have anywhere from 1% to 4% Neanderthal genetics.

So you can probably thank your Neanderthal ancestors for your fair skin and hair color. Congratulations.

Then if you're Asian you most likely have genetics from another species of archaic humans called the Denisovans.

But hey don't take my word for it, just do a little research into Neanderthal genetics.

Also, you can get yourself a genetic ancestry test, you will probably be far more surprised by the results than you think, I know I was. I've also noticed that most (not all) people who really question the idea of getting such a test are just afraid of what they may learn (cognitive dissonance) or have hardcore privacy concerns.

All in all, as far as the census goes I say mark down whatever the hell you want. Personally, next time I think I'll just mark the box for other and fill in HUMAN.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join