It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Bill Criminalizing Journalists Who Distribute Recordings of Abortion Providers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Looks like California has passed a bill to somehow criminalize audio and video journalism that exposes/identifies abortion providers.

The Governor has signed it into law.

The whole issue started a while back when some videos were circulating about Planned Parenthood selling body parts.

All kinds of lawsuits came around and apparently Planned Parenthood is the organization that suggested this new law with new "punishments".

We have yet another protected class now !!

It's "get even" time.

Gov. Jerry Brown Signs Bill Criminalizing Journalists Who Distribute Recordings of Abortion Providers

A bill sponsored by Planned Parenthood that criminalizes the distribution of recordings of conversations with abortion providers is now law in California.

Gov. Jerry Brown signed Assembly Bill 1671 into law, making it illegal for journalists to distribute audio or video recordings of healthcare providers without their consent.

As the Los Angeles Times reports, Planned Parenthood pushed the bill through the legislature even though it is already illegal to make these types of recordings without authorization in California. The abortion business argued that further punishment was needed for distributing the materials.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hmmm. Reminds me of Trump and his whole freedom of the press thing

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
So basically the law is to prevent people from exposing what abortion is really about. They get to hide behind a "law" to commit their crimes. Wunnerful.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Support 1st Amendment.
Not just when you like it.

That's all I'm gonna say.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Idiots.

That will set a precedent that you cannot do recording and distribution of ANY healthcare providers and possibly businesses.

Nursing home abuses, Medical malpractice evidence, etc.

Animal processing & animal testing facilities...

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

When people complain about government surveillance the response is often, "If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide".

But when people conduct surveillance on government agencies, it is against the law?

Who watches the watchers when it is made illegal to do so?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

When people complain about government surveillance the response is often, "If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide".

But when people conduct surveillance on government agencies, it is against the law?

No kidding,

Hey... that is a good idea... let's make it illegal to record and distribute video of Government Agencies and the Police!

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

California is the beta test for the NWO in America.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well, leave it to a liberal state to remove freedom of the press (clearly unconstitutional).

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Some States I hear are trying to make it illegal to record Cops too.

This is just another extension of Authoritarian leadership, and it's State legislation so we can't even blame the Obama Admin.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Some States I hear are trying to make it illegal to record Cops too.

This is just another extension of Authoritarian leadership, and it's State legislation so we can't even blame the Obama Admin.

You can't have transparency in a police-state.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Hmmm, depending on your vision of criminal, that is.

Legislating way whistle blowing again... good luck with that law makers...

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It would have to be the basement "alt-journalists".

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Ugh, Breitbart. Right wingers source for all things fantasy and spin.

You know, healthcare facilities are already protected by confidentiality laws and just because someone is a journalist doesn't mean they're exempt from these laws. But lets be honest, this is all about the CMP and their propaganda videos, to which you were a big supporter of so it's no wonder you're back with this spin. Let's all be very clear, the CMP are not journalists and no real journalists are worried about secretly recording doctors and everything else in a medical facility.

How come you didn't post the actual bill for everyone read? Is Breitbart all we need to make an informed decision about this? I guess so?

leginfo.legislature.ca.gov...

edit on 1-10-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Does this have to pass Senate & House as well...?

I ask that because if it does there is no way a Rep controlled Congress will let his pass.

One of the last good reasons to have a Rep controlled panel, in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Remember when they introduced VHS video rental tapes that could't be recorded and Premium channels on cable became scrambled? The solution is simple enough. Take video recorders out of cell phones, or disable them in certain zones, i.e., around cops or inside abortion centers, etc.

This is a transition phase, they'll figure it out eventually. Probably in stages just ike they're taking your guns in stages and shooting you for (maybe) having one in public.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Cal is burning to the ground and drying up like a 100 year old movie queen while half the state could be turned over to Mexico and no one would feel a thing. The libs are on the deck of the Titanic playing some fancy tune.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Does this have to pass Senate & House as well...?

I ask that because if it does there is no way a Rep controlled Congress will let his pass.

One of the last good reasons to have a Rep controlled panel, in my opinion.

Not on the federal level, just in California.

And I wouldn't put any faith in republicans, in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Thanks, DB.

I wouldn't usually, but when it comes to PP and videos the Republicans seem to wake up & take notice.

We can get into whether CMP were editing videos to the Nth degree (in my mind they did quite a bit, even when some of it was damning enough not to exaggerate) etc, but to make illegal undercover journalism is a sad state of affairs.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

without their consent.

Why are you ignoring this part?

I remember the Donald Sterling episode where everyone was up in arms about how he was recorded without knowledge.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join