It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are guns really the problem?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Woke up to see a news article about a guy in China. He killed his parents and in a twisted attempt at covering up, killed 17!! More people. The NewYorkPost said "Because firearms are tightly controlled in China, mass killings are usually carried out with knives, poison, homemade explosives or by arson." Blaming black scary guns doesn't work in this case, and spare me the "guns make mass killings easier ". Not a single gun was used on 911 in New York and we lost 3000+. My thoughts are sick people are the problem, anyone who can kill for God is a great example. Till the elites in government give up there firearms I'll just keep mine to protect my family, you can surrender yours at a local police department anytime you wish.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Yes !

It's all about access .

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Guns don't kill people. People kill people with guns.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Take the case of drunk driving.
Which is to blame, alcohol or cars?
Which one should we ban?

No one should blame the drivers.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

No, guns are not the problem. And I don't give a damn who gives theirs up, I'll be keeping mine.

I have quite a bit of money invested in my firearms and will not just give them up. I sport shoot and hunt with them. I don't want to defend myself and family with them, but I will.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
You know..... if there wasnt an enormous amount of repeat offenders running around..... I think the amount of guns people have would balance out naturally.....and people from both sides of the gun debate could find other things to worry about

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Irresponsible firearm owners are the problem. I could now explain how it´s in Germany but I see in the other thread, no one cares so I safe my time. Contrary to what most think, we do have guns in Germany. Yet, police had to fire 40 rounds in 2015. Forty.

Evidence, scroll down to the table
edit on 1-10-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Even though most people don't know it, but they are trying to bring back deodands

Deodands go back to at least Plato's time. In Europe

(before 1846) an animal or article that, having been the immediate cause of the death of a human being, was forfeited to the crown to be applied to pious uses.

Sum it up from an article I will link below

[Trials of animals and inanimate objects] allow the community to domesticate chaos by providing a consensus explanation of social reality to replace what would otherwise seem to be frightening and uncontrollable activity. Chaotic and painful events are thus brought under human jurisdiction and control through the construction of a narrative that reflects the moral values of the community.

www.google.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

No, firearms per se are not the problem. The problem is that the US culture is steeped in love of violence, and there are far too many people here who are too damn stupid to know how to resolve a conflict in any other way. And this includes at the governmental level, at all levels.

This shows at all levels of the US culture. What do most parents do to discipline their children? It ultimately comes down to the use or threat of physical violence.

As long as the dominant culture in the US is sold on the idea that violence is the best first way to resolve a conflict, we will have problems.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Pressure cookers and guns are the problems...

Without those instruments of terror the world would be a bubble gum rainbow paradise..

Thanks progressives for making ALL decisions my feeble mind is incapable of understanding...

-Chris

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Uh............what about the cutlery? Can't have the cutlery, sharpy stuff like knives. And what about machetes and axes? And then there's pointy scissors! I've always feared crazed seamstresses.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Which one should we ban?

We should ban the drivers, which is why self-driving cars are being developed.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I don't blame the fork for making my butt fat.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Well obviously guns within themselves can't be the issue. Any mentally competent person without a criminal record can own guns, in every other western country on earth and they don't have anywhere near the same amount of gun deaths as the US.

Maybe the "gun violence" in the US is just an inevitable side effect of the hardcore narcissism & paranoia that comes from such a rich and large culture.

Honestly, seems kind of silly to ask a question you don't actually want an honest answer back to... but oh well, you asked.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueShaman

Which one should we ban?

We should ban the drivers, which is why self-driving cars are being developed.

The self driving car has already killed someone.
It must have been drunk.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Gasoline in a plastic cup is way more dangerous and would affect many more than a clip of rounds...knives, alcohol, planes, frying pans, bats, clubs, table lamps, Cars, bow and arrows, re-bar...I could go on and on...

Objects dont kill people...people kill people

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

The self driving car has already killed someone.
It must have been drunk.

That's because it isn't ready for prime time yet. But when it is and they start crashing, the car will be only one to blame. Eventually cars will be banned and we'll go back to the horse and carriage.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

My thoughts are sick people are the problem, anyone who can kill for God is a great example.

God is an excuse, like patriotism, nationalism, the flag, whatever.

Everything is lethal, with intent.
edit on 1-10-2016 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Gasoline in a plastic cup is way more dangerous and would affect many more than a clip of rounds...knives, alcohol, planes, frying pans, bats, clubs, table lamps, Cars, bow and arrows, re-bar...I could go on and on...

Objects dont kill people...people kill people

I don't know man... I don't think any of those objects would do much good getting the fox that keeps geting all the chickens and ducks around here.

Even with an arrow he just messes with you, standing basically metres away, he knows exactly how far he needs to be from you to be safe, to what ever object your chasing him with... If guns were on the property, you'd never even physically see him.

Even a fox knows whats more dangerous... lol.

But its a stupid debate anyway... It seems obvious that guns just don't belong in large modern cities.... the 2nd doesn't have the hindsight of that fact... But Americans as a whole are not about to give up their current gun rights.

So, as a result, the US has a higher rate of gun violence compared to countries with similar qualities of life... There's nothing you could really do about at this stage... Hillary's obviously going to (at least try) ban assault weapons, but can't see that doing anything but making one political ideology really happy, and the other political ideology really angry... can't see it doing much for actual crime.

CNN or whoever always like to use Australia as an example of how strict gun control works and to be fair, we have seemed to eliminate the random mass shootings... But the thing is, Australia's always obviously had a far lower homicide rate and even though our homicide rate did decrease after the 96 gun reforms, the homicide rate was also declining in the US and other western countries at the same time.

Australia's gun culture as a whole has always been about hunting too, never really about protection... we've just never had that whole "there's bad people who want to murder me and my whole family (just because)"angle going on in our culture... Its a bad comparison in all honestly.

Who really knows what would happen if they enacted strict federal gun regulations in the US... guess you'll all have to wait til Hilary gets elected to find out... lol.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Youre making valid points here. But, not to sound offensive (please dont take it this way...but if you do, I apologize in advance)...Australia was populated by criminals from England and other countries, correct? Not the aboriginal tribes, but the Anglo-Saxon/white population.

Murderers, thieves, rapists, political adversaries...you name it. And back those few hundred years, it wasnt so many guns that got them to Australia on convict ships. It was anything they did and all the ways and objects they used to be convicted..

So, Im saying its the preponderance of violence as a means to the end. Not guns per se', knives or drunks behind the wheel. The world has become a violent one of aggression. No matter the objects used.....

Thanks very much for making very valid points....

MS

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join