It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A stranger approached me at the gym and asked if I'm in a cult "because I walk/move like it"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Just a few moments ago, I stepped up onto a stair master and a guy further down the row said something my way. At the time, I didn't understand what he said. I've seen him up here plenty of times throughout the years--I don't think I could estimate how many. I read people pretty well, pick up on body language and such, and I've always got a bit of an off feeling from him. Sometimes he'd look my way, almost with some kind of negativity. He always seemed like he was angry (not at me, though) or had a chip on his shoulder. I'll note, though, I'm not the type to let my readings influence the way I treat others--I do my best to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I, myself, have often been on the receiving end of premature, superficial judgment and dismissal, so I don't let myself do it to others (of course I'll get an impression, but like I said, I don't maintain it, especially not if I end up conversing with the person).

Well, he came up to me after he finished and asked me, "yo, are you in the cult." For obvious reasons, that "cult" word didn't register with me. "The colt?" I replied? "What's the colt?"

He spelled the word out for me. I don't think I've ever been approached and asked such a simultaneously disturbing, random, and blunt question in my life. I answered no, and asked what cult he was referring to.

He said, "I used to live in Minneapolis, and the Cult was really big up there." Again, I asked its name, but he said, "it doesn't matter which one, there are a bunch up there." Then he made it even weirder by saying: "you walk just like them."

"I WALK just like the people in the cults?" And he said, "yeah, I see you up here all the time, and you're just like them. It's the way you move."

Awkwardly, I replied, "uh, I guess maybe I'm in one and just don't know it?" In a way, I was making light of the situation. I was almost speechless.

"Oh no, You'd know if you were in one." He said.

At no time did he ask in a hostile manner. He had a bit of a knowing look in his eyes and creepy smile on his face.
"It's in Minneapolis?" I asked, "can I ask what one is called?"

He said yes, and then said there are plenty. "You sure you're not in one?" He asked again, with the creepy smile even worse.

I said no, and he said "you just move exactly like them (the people in these cults).
He was beginning to walk away, and I said "oh well, I don't really know how to take that, heh. Have a good one."

Does anyone have ANY idea what that was all about? I was legitimately creeped out by it. Definitely interested in anyone shedding some light on that conversation, or what he might have meant by "moving like I'm in a cult."

Thanks guys.
edit on 30-9-2016 by Achilles92x because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Ive never heard of a big cult presence in mn, sounds strange.

Guy sounds like an idiot, probably just hitting on you, very poorly.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I have no idea what he was referring to, but! He sounds like he might be a bit unstable? I had someone approach me in a similar way , not about being in a cult, but seemed very taken with me. He said my eyes... my eyes... he had an alter set up for blue eyes like mine.... etc. I wonder if they are mentally unstable and we triggered something in them? I have NO idea actually.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Ellie Sagan

Good point, I'd recommend changing your routine or gyms OP.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
In all seriousness do you think it's possible he was trying to find out if you were into casual sex and what seems to be with the same gender?

It's not anything I am familiar with or have experience in but seems it could be a pretty safe way to ask a pretty awkward question. At least it's unambiguous, if you aren't in a cult or into casual same gender sex you will certainly say no.

Just spit balling here.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Achilles92x

Lol! How weird. 😂

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
Ive never heard of a big cult presence in mn, sounds strange.

Guy sounds like an idiot, probably just hitting on you, very poorly.

I think it was poorly executed flirting, too.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yup.

Good news for me though, sounds like there may actually be someone out there with worse pickup lines than me.

So things are looking up.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yup.

Good news for me though, sounds like there may actually be someone out there with worse pickup lines than me.

So things are looking up.

You aren't fooling anyone Spock, I know you are going to use it the first chance you get.

I got my wife with "I am a fighter pilot from the future".

Yes she ended up very disappointed.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
If asked again, you could say you were in THE Cult. You played bass in the eraly 80s, till KId Chaos took the job.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I typed this while I finished my cardio and then didn't feel like weightlifting, I was overall pretty uncomfortable. I went to leave probably about 30 minutes after the encounter (he went to the lower level where the lockers and entrance are right after we talked), and he happened to be hanging out at the entrance area watching TV, so I pulled a quick u-turn back into the locker room without him seeing m, put my stuff into the locker and headed back upstairs. At that time he made eye contact as he was leaving. Luckily, he was down a big hall. The membership sales staff was still there and one of the guys could tell how sketched out I was, so I went in his office and explained what happened. I'm out of there and home safe now.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Time to find a new gym, no question.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

Yeah, maybe. I'm a straight male, 23, but used to work at a bar in the LBGT area of where I live, and one had some very, very forward things said to me by strangers, very forward propositions, but none of them made me uncomfortable like this. I would laugh off 99% of the comments/pick up lines and explain that I was straight, and I ended up making friends with most of the people who did that. None of them asked anything like that, either.

I think it's safe to say, pickup line or not, this guy knew cults were in Minneapolis and was a bit mentally unstable.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I searched cults in mn, if you are from mn you may remember, the only one of interest that came up was that guy from finlayson that they caught in brazil. Frankly, I think the cult thing is bs. But I agree hes probably a bit lacking in the mental area. View it as a good thing, a warning. I'd give this guy a wide berth.
edit on 30-9-2016 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Maybe the problems is with one of your achillies ?

perhaps you just have swagger,,, i've been told i walk like i dont have a care in the world, but i know on the inside i'm stressed as hell
edit on 30/9/2016 by scubagravy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I'm curious about these parts - "you walk just like them" and "it's the way you move." Too bad a friend wasn't with you to ask what he meant by that.

However... yes, it was a disturbing and invasive encounter partly because he didn't say what kind of cult or what he meant by how you walk and move.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Achilles92x

I don't wan't to freak you out, but that guy is in your house! Get out !!!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Actually he's in your house.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: tweetie

I'm also most curious about those parts too, which is why I shared. Hopefully someone on ATS can enlighten those comments.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Quick google search of cults in minnesota yields some results
Did you not try searching online?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join