It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poetry in the Short Story and Collaborative Writing Forums

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
There has always been, and always will be, poetry allowed in these two forums.

History:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What will NOT be allowed are threads or posts with zero to minimal effort. If there is an indication that members are posting what amounts to purple poetry as 'love letters' to fellow members, they will be removed going forward. If someone posts anything which is deemed against the T&C's, it will also be removed. If a thread is posted which is deemed minimal, staff will judge on its merits and may, or may not, move it to BTS.

The Writing forums are for testing your writing skills, not for testing staff.
edit on 30/9/16 by masqua because: clarity

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

What will NOT be allowed are threads or posts with zero to minimal effort. If there is an indication that members are posting what amounts to purple poetry as 'love letters' to fellow members, they will be removed going forward.

Different thresholds exist for different readers. Will there be a set of guidelines or will the star system once again fail in determining quality at the expense of our Mod's precious time and energy?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Different thresholds exist for different readers.

True, but ATS staff are tasked with moderating the content here. That won't change and the T&C's are our standard.

Will there be a set of guidelines

Yes, the Terms and Conditions you signed onto when you joined.

will the star system once again fail in determining quality at the expense of our Mod's precious time and energy?

I don't know. I never liked the star system as a determinant for quality, but the members seemed to like it and it DID make it far easier for staff. Personally speaking, I doubt I will ever start another contest because of the difficulties it presents for staff. Not saying I won't or another staffer won't, but I will tell you it is a lot of work.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

The Writing forums are for testing your writing skills, not for testing staff.

Because ATS staff don't like being tested by rogue poets. There is no rhyme and reason.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: VanDenEviL

Rogue poets have been loved in the past and I admire their works today.

Check out Bardic Poetry.

Of course, they put effort into their work.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

edit on 9/30/2016 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

With all due respect, can you please link or reference to the section of the T&Cs that are supposed to help define such guidelines for thread authors contributing to the Short Stories and Collaborative Writing forums?

I'm being a stickler and critical of the forum because I actually at one time enjoyed reading member submissions. You guys and gals have a lot of talent, but maybe it is being presented in a way that the majority finds obtrusive?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Oh, that was a zinger, right?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Sure

Here you go

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I had no problem posting my work in the poetry thread. Once thread was move, I was blocked from contributing, as I don't have writer status. I myself, try and put extra effort into my writing. I can understand the concerns, about the short stories forum being flooded with some done with minimal effort. Poetry really has no set length, but I personally would rather write mine to be more thought out, and a bit longer. If length is the issue, maybe have one thread for those poems that fall on the shorter side.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JDHellraiser

The Poetry thread you are referring to is closed anyways, but you are very welcome to post your poetry in this, the Short Stories forum.

You're right that poetry has no set length, but there is the question of quality. In fact, a short poem which was entered just today was very good indeed.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Here is the poem I'm talking about. I think it's brilliant:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

That one was rather good. Although short, the meaning was there. As with all art, I guess it boils down to personal preference. I'm just happy that I can share mine again. Thanks for that.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

All art is like that.

There are always barriers, whether it's owners of galleries, publishers who read every line of a prospective novel, music critics in Spin Magazine and Rolling Stone or volunteer staff in online communities... and the personal preferences of those individuals in making hard decisions.

It takes guts to put anything from the heart 'out there'. I know all about it.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Out of curiosity, why is it only the poetry/short stories areas that are being moderated and "tightened" up? I understand that you alone more than likely don't have control or the final say-so in other areas but this has been rather.....swift and brutal?

I know that you've had a few complaints and I also know that you value folks writing and expression so it just seems, to me at least, that there has been a harder hammer dropped on this end of ATS.

As I'm sure you are aware, it's political season in the US and the boards are absolutely flooded with garbage and trash talk (some mine, admittedly) and these threads I'm sure are a PITA to moderate. Even so, they are not as stringent as the rules being imposed on the writing members here.

A brief explanation why, if you would please, as to why would make a few of us here a little more at ease.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

edit on 9/30/2016 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Out of curiosity, why is it only the poetry/short stories areas that are being moderated and "tightened" up? I understand that you alone more than likely don't have control or the final say-so in other areas but this has been rather.....swift and brutal?

Absolutely nothng has changed within the forums themselves. The efforts to regulate what may or may not stay is the same as always and I've moderated here for many years.

I know that you've had a few complaints and I also know that you value folks writing and expression so it just seems, to me at least, that there has been a harder hammer dropped on this end of ATS.

I won't deny that a certain amount of concern has been put into Complaints recently and that it has precipitated a staff reaction, but I'm not about to point any fingers.

As I'm sure you are aware, it's political season in the US and the boards are absolutely flooded with garbage and trash talk (some mine, admittedly) and these threads I'm sure are a PITA to moderate. Even so, they are not as stringent as the rules being imposed on the writing members here.
]

That's not true whatsoever. There are no new rules or any added moderation. Only the T&C's are at play, the same as anywhere else, except the Mud Pit (which I avoid like poison).

A brief explanation why, if you would please, as to why would make a few of us here a little more at ease.

Thank you.

The only explanation for this thread are the flood of Complaints and member posts saying that these forums are not allowing poetry anymore. Other than that, the rules are the same as they were over 10 years ago.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

You actually put some work into that.

*golf clap*

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well, what you wrote certainly has a lot more feeling to it than the many variations of artistic works that sound as though they were partially web-generated such as:

The sky is purple like your brain
I like to swing in the park
We swing in the park together
Now we arrive at the beach
The clouds are fluffy like your hair
And taste like lollipops
Yummy I like lollipops
I drink lemon juice when I eat roast beef
I think that means I love you

As for this reminder of the terms and conditions in regards to this area, that's all it is - a reminder. There is nothing new happening here from what I can see.

If there is an indication that members are posting what amounts to purple poetry as 'love letters' to fellow members, they will be removed going forward.

Perhaps such a thing should be restricted to private messages anyway, I'm sure the rest of the membership doesn't wish to see such things.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Im personally happy ats is bringing down the hammer.

I could swear some of that poetry in question was web bot generated. It had to be.....right? I mean it was just ......so..... bad for lack of a better descriptor.

Anyways, ATS does have some rather damned fine writers and poets. I could name at least a dozen members off the top of my head who write fantastic stuff.
edit on 30-9-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join