It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phone App Coding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
So I know very little about computer coding. I understand the general idea of it and how it works but actually writing code I am completely ignorant. My wife and I have an idea for an application for phones that we feel would be a nice thing to have and literally does not exist in any context at this time. There is not even an website that hosts the information that this app is going to do. I know this all sounds totally vague but do you have recommendation on how to find an independent coder for Apple/Andriod. I know they are both different operating systems requiring different code. How do you go about finding these people? I feel like CL is prop not going to be my best option. Any input from the computer literate ATS?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ
You can always learn it. Start with erasing the word "coding" from you dictionary. It has a bad taste. I don´t think you want to spend the amount of money for a professional coder programmer...it can cost you hundreds, of not thousands of euros. Except if you have a really good idea that you want to monetize.

You can go to places like stackoverflow or codebase, but be prepared to dash out way more information, or no one will ever reply. Give us something, I´m fit on android.
edit on 30-9-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Lol I would live to get into the details with someone but an NDA would have to be signed first

Basic gist of the app is the user would have their location then based off that location the app would tell them the nearest "event" that is going on. That's pretty much the basic function. Then based of an action either tell them how to get their or contact the event.

Is that something enough for you?
edit on 30-9-2016 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Boom, 11 apps that do exactly what you need:
my search term was: "app for events near me"
Took 3 seconds to type and get the results.
Your OP probably took longer to write

mashable.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Like any of these?

mashable.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Ha ha but no apps that look the the specific event I am looking for. Believe me with all the searching I have done for this type of information someone at google is prob already making it. Sadly the only time I ever see one of these events is in the world. I can never find them advertised on the web. Its lame.
edit on 30-9-2016 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The entire app is based off a single event. Im think maybe starting with a website then moving to an app. Would having a website built or building one be better to start you think?

link   
The entire app is based off a single event. Im think maybe starting with a website then moving to an app. Would having a website built or building one be better to start you think?

link   

link   

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

Sadly the only time I ever see one of these events is in the world. I can never find them advertised on the web.

Parking lot rug sales?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Then you might consider that you won´t get the coverage you need to make it work. If they are not even advertised in the web, how do you want to fill your database? If you rely on the user to do it, expect to be disapointed. You need a userbase for this and it apparently is not there. So of course you could hire someone to do it but you´ll never get back the money you spent. Just an advice

Sleep over this before you do it. You need infrastructure, a managed vserver or dedicated machine is not that costly, but the app. You also need to bugfix and keep it in compliant with the different OS versions.

And if you make the slightest mistake, be prepared to take fire from the comments. Users can be cruel and upsetted very fast, even if the app is for free.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Quattro post ^^. I´ve heard about it but never thought I´d see one.
Yes, that would be the way to go. Start with a website. You can even do it on your own if you read into the subject. You´d need a webspace with PHP+MYSQL preferably. Expect to sort out many false entries from trolls. Do use captchas. You could work out a deal with a hobby programmer that he will get the advertisement money from the website in exchange for his work. Is not really hard, most programmers have their own crafted libaries and snippets to modify, although they will act like they did it from scratch

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

Sadly the only time I ever see one of these events is in the world. I can never find them advertised on the web.

Parking lot rug sales?

Ha ha ha no. But thats now going to be the next feature of the app

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Next feature? You do not even have a real concept yet

No really, start with a simple website. It will be place where all your data comes together either way. You will need at least a webspace with MYSQL database so that the clients (app) can feed and retrieve the content from it. Advertise it. Dive into the statistics and do search engine optimizations. When it catches up speed and you have some money from advertisement that is left over after you paid the server, you´ve learned enough and can judge the amount of work you have to put into this. Prepare for long nights if you work a daily job. Prepare to burn money.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

The wife and I use about 4 different ones. One for near home, another for the southeastern part of the state, another for within X amount of miles. We use it in the car and go from any corner to any event that we like out of the results.

We've been doing this (on Android) and IPhones for about 10 yrs. every weekend. Its easy, fast, and no matter where are, it always comes up with stuff...we go to like 4-5 art fairs, sales, shows, festivals every weekend....and we just get in the car, hit the location of where we are...or when we get to an area.

These are not new....so I dont know what you think could do differently...we get the event, times, location, maps, costs and links to the individual site's options in the results. We've done this for years.

Last week...I drove 1000 miles from Wed to Monday up north. 300+ up and 300+ back, 150+around up there x2 different days. We went on the fly and saw and did a bunch of stuff we didnt know till we got to an area. These apps are really common...

Id suggest you check out what you find avail by driving just some miles from home and then doing a search. Just drive like 30 miles...stop and search for that day, and within a certain radius. I think then youll see what out there. And its alot...

EX: Shows, Noname Town, today 8am-6pm....or just Noname Town-Events-Free etc...you get it*

Good luck though...MS

*Heres one-PureMichigan.com...go and just see...realizing you can also just go to anywhere and search...there are a ton of these types out for when folks get into an area, unfamiliar to them for that day
edit on 30-9-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Depending on what the content for this app is, it may not exist because no one really wants to be "finger-printed" at being at such events.

For instance, Raves, with the activities that occur there, the rave-goers don't want it to be known, because law-enforcement showing up is a bad thing.

Another example, swinger-parties. Usually those occur between known people, rather then just randoms, having strangers show up tends to be frowned upon, unless a known member can vett them, and their "personal health" as "safe".

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

I strongly disagree with the swinger part. Even in prude germany there are plenty swinger clubs. Just don´t show up alone and don´t have expectations. Don´t be creepy. Someone I know said I should post this here. *whistling away*

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Everybody is getting to hung up on the event thing. I should have used a different word. To be honest you guys prob pass by these all the time. But ill stop talking about what the app looks for now. I got some really great advise and I think ill start with a website and go from there.

Anybody know a website to teach me how to "program". Lol

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Depends what you want to do. If you are doing php/mysql you might try the Yii framework. The Yii one ultimate lookup style database schema is not my favorite but good for OLAP type apps and rapid deployment. It has all sorts of plug-ins, authentication out of the box etc.

If you want to go the route of asp.net, I would go to 4guysfromrolla.com and build it up from scratch.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join