It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleaner Air: Atmospheric Acidity Returned to Pre-Industrial Levels

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: StallionDuck

Now if we can just pass a nickel per plastic bag tax (or, BYOB for no surcharge) at checkout we can actually get some serious progress going.

DC already does this.

Although I have my personal opinions about it basically because degradable plastics can be made from plants like hemp......it does force me to try to bring a bag with me to the store.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: FaunaOrFlora

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

Now if we can just pass a nickel per plastic bag tax (or, BYOB for no surcharge) at checkout we can actually get some serious progress going.

DC already does this.

Although I have my personal opinions about it basically because degradable plastics can be made from plants like hemp......it does force me to try to bring a bag with me to the store.

In Austin, it's 25C for grocery sacs (plastic or paper).

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

You're not allowed to bring your own?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Logarock

Actually no it doesn't. The study was done in Greenland. Other countries may still have higher levels of acidity locally.

The good news is that at least these local pockets of pollution are not affecting the global atmosphere any more.

TheRedneck

LOL. This was an attempt at comedy? Greenland. Wow lol

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Yes. Greenland.
Which produces no SO2 to speak of but receives quite enough from North America.

You find that funny?
edit on 10/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Yes. Greenland.
Which produces no SO2 to speak of but receives quite enough from North America.

You find that funny?

No in fact in college I did a paper on sulfur impact on Canadian forest via US power plants. What I find funny is the limited nature i.e. us is the only bad guy and hay lets do a study of its footprint in Greenland while China has been going hog wild with the crazy sh*t.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I don't know of anyone who says the US is the only "bad guy" but this is an example of how regulation and a form of "cap and trade" actually does work. Don't you think?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Oh, sorry.... missed the sarcasm there.

In truth, though, Greenland is a good place to judge the global level precisely because it is isolated. It only receives SO2 from global contamination. Measurement in areas that produce SO2 wouldn't mean much much globally as they would be giving local readings much higher.

TheRedneck

ETA: If you think China is bad, check out the shipping lane regulations on sulfur content...

edit on 10/1/2016 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

So we're one step closer to being able to breathe some relief. It has been found that the acidity of our atmosphere is back to the pre-1930s Industrial Complex. I guess this makes any acid rain we see "normal" and natural as if it had not been man made.

This is great news
Should go back to pre 1890 A.D. levels though, before industrial revolution
edit on 2016-10-1 by galien8 because: typo

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Phage:

The successful reduction of SO2 emissions has more to do with "cap and trade" than with taxes.
voxeu.org...

Unlike most earlier pieces of landmark environmental legislation, the CAAA of 1990 was not precipitated by a ‘crisis moment’ (the most memorable was the Cuyahoga River catching on fire, leading to the Clean Water Act)

LOL. Houston, we have a problem. The drinking water is on fire!

edit on 1/10/16 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Well I hope the Russians aren't going to be stingy with their super molecule. Share and share a like.
edit on 23-1-2017 by kmartwalker089 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join