It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover Massive Galaxy Made of 99.99 Percent Dark Matter !

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
There are other references to a new dark matter galaxy called Dragonfly 44. This article is from the Keck Observatory and has all the details of the discovery.. This discovery is amazing IMO

MAUNAKEA, Hawaii — Using the world's most powerful telescopes, an international team of astronomers has discovered a massive galaxy that consists almost entirely of Dark Matter. Using the W. M. Keck Observatory and the Gemini North telescope – both on Maunakea, Hawaii – the team found a galaxy whose mass is almost entirely Dark Matter. The findings are being published in The Astrophysical Journal Letters today.

The mass of the galaxy is estimated to be a trillion times the mass of the Sun – very similar to the mass of our own Milky Way galaxy. However, only one hundredth of one percent of that is in the form of stars and "normal" matter; the other 99.99 percent is in the form of dark matter. The Milky Way has more than a hundred times more stars than Dragonfly 44

www.keckobservatory.org...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

This is incredible.

I wonder if this galaxy has a super massive black hole in its centre, as many galaxies made largely of regular matter do, or if it formed around some other concentration of mass, as yet unknown to science.

This dark matter issue is one which fires the imagination, without a doubt, and in ways that mark interest in it apart from interest in other masses and structures in deep space.

I will be awaiting further data with great anticipation!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
its pretty neat that the galaxy is made from dark matter...whatever that is.

Until scientists can tell me what dark matter is ill just use a more accurate term for what theyre observing in that galaxy. Which is we dont know. It has more mass than it should. Ok but whats mass?

Scientists. Often put the cart before the horse.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I posted about it last month, but keep it up for those who missed it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

A simple search for "dragonfly 44" would have turned up your post... and yeah, Aug 25 is over a month ago and would not have been missed here on ATS.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

This is incredible.

I wonder if this galaxy has a super massive black hole in its centre, as many galaxies made largely of regular matter do, or if it formed around some other concentration of mass, as yet unknown to science.

This dark matter issue is one which fires the imagination, without a doubt, and in ways that mark interest in it apart from interest in other masses and structures in deep space.

I will be awaiting further data with great anticipation!

Maybe its some kind of anti-black hole spewing out matter from our matter universe.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I thought dark matter is called that because in cannot be seen? am I missing something?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Quick google search

"What percentage of the Universe is dark matter

Overall, dark energy is thought to contribute 73 percent of all the mass and energy in the universe.
Another 23 percent is dark matter,
which leaves only 4 percent of the universe composed of regular matter, such as stars, planets and people

What's 96 Percent of the Universe Made Of? Astronomers Don't Know"

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

I thought dark matter is called that because in cannot be seen? am I missing something?

It can not be seen but it's effect can be measured
A bit like trying to see the wind ... you can only see the effect of it

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

Cold dark matter has been speculated to take the form of Massive Compact Halo Objects (MACHOs) like black holes; Robust Associations of Massive Baryonic Objects (RAMBOs) like clusters of brown dwarfs; or a class of undiscovered heavy particles – i.e. Weakly-Interacting Massive Particles (WIMPs), and axions.
The widely-accepted Lambda-CDM model is based in part of the theory that dark matter is "cold". As cosmological explanations go, it is the most simple and can account for the formation of galaxies or galaxy cluster formations. However, there remains some holes in this theory, the biggest of which is that it predicts that there should be many more small, dwarf galaxies in the early universe than we can account for.

Read more at: phys.org...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AshFan

Thanks for link ...
YesI will read as my knowledge of these things is equivilent to a plank of wood

edit on 30-9-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

It can also be applied to that stuff that squirts out of my cyst.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

One of my favorite characters from x files (your avatar).

on topic, couple of questions:

- to create this story requires a belief that dark matter is responsible, and not other errors in calculation or theory? Wht i mean...they are claiming that something is being observed when we cannot observe it? This is pure mathematical inferrence, presuming the remaining data points are accurate?

- what happens when dark matter collapses in on itself?

- what happens to dark matter entering a black hole?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Dude... cart before the horse man! This is all hypothetical IMO

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

However, only one hundredth of one percent of that is in the form of stars and "normal" matter

How strange , that we are complaining if there could be life possible in the universe. To think that if there are species living in that galaxy would have a hard time finding a star besides the one they are orbiting. So would they ask the same questions we do , when looking up into the sky?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

im a motorized cart kinda guy, i guess.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1

However, only one hundredth of one percent of that is in the form of stars and "normal" matter

How strange , that we are complaining if there could be life possible in the universe. To think that if there are species living in that galaxy would have a hard time finding a star besides the one they are orbiting. So would they ask the same questions we do , when looking up into the sky?

This is covered in the hitchhikers guide to the universe book 3. They would kill everyone.

The planet of Krikkit, unaware of the rest of the Universe due to a dust cloud that surrounded its solar system, were surprised to find the wreckage of a spacecraft on their planet. Reverse engineering their own vessel, they explored past the dust cloud and saw the rest of the Universe, immediately taking a disliking to it and determining it must go. They built a fleet of ships and robots to attack the rest of the Universe in a brutal onslaught known as the Krikkit Wars, but were eventually defeated. Realising that the Krikkit population would not be satisfied alongside the existence of the rest of the Universe, it was decided to envelop the system in a Slo-Time envelope, allowing Krikkit to survive long after the rest of the universe has ended.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

BTW. Kick ass avatar.

Hes my favorite from x files too. 👍

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Yep, something like that, only theyr'e still only guessing at the amount of 'dark energy'....i personally think it's way higher.
And in any case if we take Einsteins basic equation, remove the C squared stuff & get down to the nitty gritty that Energy=Mass, then the 2 are mutually interchangeable.
And they are, the atom bomb is proof enough.A miniscule amount of mass equals a LOT of energy in our human terms.
Further, it is obvious that the 2 are interacting all the time on a micro and macro level, so the actual amount of whatever is kind of moot. It's like trying to measure the amount of flowing water with a Brownie camera.....

When the whole 'dark matter' thing erupted years ago, i thought 'Ah they mean Dark Energy, surely'....

Since dark matter can only be measured by A) the absence of light, and B) it's gravitational field, this was the original theory behind black holes. If the photon duality is correct, then the photon spends some of it's time at least as physical matter, having mass means it is affected by gravity.. However, when it is a wave, it has dualiy & can move outside of gravity and time.
This is where it starts to get a little bit complicated

I still think that the actual link is the electron, not the photon, interesting as they are.

ETA since black holes arent that black as we paint them, cosmic rays (high energy microparticles & high frequency photons) can escape, but they have magnetic help from the rotating 'core' . I think Hawking missed something there since he had to revise his statement on black holes.
If you pump enough energy into a particle fast enough, it has nowhere to go but another dimension. Neutrino's have virtually no mass, can travel faster than light, so therefore neutrino emissions should tell us if it's a real black hole or not. Still not easy to detect since the axis has to be exactly aligned with Earth in order to detect them.
This was done by way of cosmic ray/gravity wave detection in the late 30's, i don't see why they now have a problem determining what is what....
edit on 30-9-2016 by playswithmachines because: Addenum

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

So many questions. This is truly a great time to be alive in regards to space exploration and understanding the cosmos.
Now for my question, I wonder if the physics of this galaxy are similar to a 'normal' one?
I had a really wacky thought session about dark matter. After watching a video with Michio Kaku, he was going on about how the universe had completely different laws than what they are now, light seemed to travel faster, and it has been sort of observed.
It got me thinking, maybe dark matter just has completely different laws than what we can 'see'. Remnants of the old universe.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join