It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do when the internet shuts down?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Read a book.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
It's but shutting down, it's getting moderated.

Still not good. They wouldn't up and break friend face, they would cause riots...

They could mitigate the rest of it though.
If it got bad, I'd pack what I've got for supplies and head north. Not much of a plan, I'm not ready.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

i have a little over 2.5 tb of tv/movies on hard drives. And i like stuff like gardening, sitting and scratching the dog while i stare off into space, and a few hundred .pdf files averaging 130 pages each. Not to mention the book cases full of books. There pastry to be baked, meats to be smoked, and savory veggie dishes to be roasted. Plus, having had lyme disease, sleep is something that takes moments to fall into.

I think i got it covered no matter which direction I want to turn.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I've got a stack of nudie mags this high.

---------------------------

---------------------

So......

What are you gonna do after that 20 minutes worth of entertainment has gone and passed ??

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
What would you do when the internet shuts down? I say again World Wide Web complete shutdown. Not even your neighbors has access.
Panic? Attempt to call people? Watch TV or go survival mode? Maybe in your bunkers? Get out of town? or even take you gun and war?

This maybe your last chance to comment before internet shuts down.

I would peacefully revert back to the library.
What would you do if you lost cell service? Jump off a cliff in dismay?? No...you would revert back to pre-established ways of communication.

Get a grip.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I spend very little time on the internet except late nights on ATS when I'm home alone, so things wouldn't change much for me. I'd miss this crazy place though. I'm sure there would be a whole lot of people who would be devastated over it. I know people who won't go check the mail without their phone in hand...might miss something important on facebook or instagram. Those people will suffer the most, I think, if something like that were to actually happen.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I have books, lots and lots of books. I have also downloaded every GOT seasaon without wathing it, as well as some other shows and hundreds of movies. I have some video games I am play offline...like SIMS Supernatural, with every mod possible, that can be played for 50 years.

But without the communication part, and I would assume you would mean everything is gone on a phone except texting. And news. I would probably need some valium for a week or so.

Aftet that, I woulf go back to what I did before, I guess. Buy newspapers. Rent movies.

See my friends more and play Dungeons and Dragons. Trivial pursuit.

I would spend more time outside. Go to bars waaay more often lol.

edit on 29-9-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

LOL

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Garage full of books, CB radio, shortwave set, solar power, bicycle.

Check check.

I so want a cb radio. I used to have a sw radio- It was on an 80s boom box, AM/FM/SW1/SW2

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

---------------------------

---------------------

I would need some pron, magazines aren't normally geared toward females, though. Playgirl will not do it. I would have to stock up on Penthouse Letters and a few random others. Almost forgot about pron. I don;t download it, mabe I should download some in case of this emergency.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Continue to play my games on my computer that are not MMOs because they all have a Off Line mode.

And also: watch the world burn since the infrastructure of most of the western world requires the internet now.

People wouldn't be able to use their credit cards anymore....or get money out of an ATM. Businesses would not be able to order anything anymore, so watch out, as all your favorite places to eat would end up shut down.

oh....and your food stores would end up not having anymore stock to sell, so better stock up on your food.

At least until people remember that land lines still work, and go back to ordering things over the phone.

I doubt seriously that it would be shut down. It would be like shooting yourself in the foot.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Yep.

That's a Pandora's Box that can never be closed again.

The modern world has become completely dependent on the internet in every way imaginable. Entire global economies would crash and burn in an instant.

Me ?

I'd finally get around to doing those dang things I've been meaning to get to for the past 20+ years.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
you got a good point. Like I mean it would make sense to say for example try to get all the: books, videos, audio's, pics, music, now while you can. Fill up a few big hard drives full of everything. That way if things go down you'll at least got your money's worth. I mean all that is free right now.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

This sounds like my normal weekend. I do historic repairs as a blacksmith/tinsmith/leatherworker and most locations I'm working at don't have internet or good phone connection if any at all.

I'd be more worried about all the people freaking out over the lose, but I'd most likely have a lot more work and if it stayed down I'm betting I'd have a lot more people looking for me too teach them 'smithing.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Chuckle of the day award goes too...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
We have a guy in my area that we refer to as "Redneck Twitter". He has an 4 x 8 piece of ply wood leaning against a tree, in front of his house. He spray paints it with rants on everything from politics to sports to cultural issues to his neighbors.

We snicker at it but, I guess, if things got bad, I 'd make a trip to Home Depot. LOL!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Read the articles, of course.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Read books, use paper maps and find information 'the old fashioned way'. The first time I went on the internet, I was 20. Lived over half my life without it and survivied, and I would do just fine without it. (Would miss all the cute cat videos on YouTube though
)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I would.....wow this is gonna be tough.....I would go and talk to another human being. IN PERSON!!! Like right to their face.

There, I said it, it sounds crazy but I would do it.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Careful, you'll end up on a watchlist. lol!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join