It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paying for Internet advertising can be a swindle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This is about you paying for ads in search results, in social media or on website networks.

I don´t give any names of companies to protect the innocent, but you know what I mean with paid Internet advertisements, I think there are a couple of hundred ad providers out there.

Anyways, and this is pure hypothetical, the ad providers, you pay, themselves could be innocent, the idea is that there is one gigantic central computer data center, that has his dirty little finger in every server's tie. That governs the whole Internet, the whole cyber economy, all computers on the Internet are one way or another connected to this central computer, which is sentient and can infinitively clone entities of it self, can hack into any system, can do everything as superuser (omnipotent) on any back office system, one entity on every computing device.

Such a system can for individuals (that the system profiled to be a danger to the stability of a country, or the free west, or the whole world, or humanity; people with an rebellious nature, trolls, OK also terrorists, criminals, hackers etc.) present fake statistics about visitors and ad clicks, meant only to suck the money out of the bank, in hope these precrimed individuals and their companies go bankrupt.

Your website appears always offline, ads are never shown, maybe websites or ads are only shown to people these individuals have personal contact with, people where he COULD verify the being online of his website or ad. Remember the hypothetical central computer knows everything (omniscient). Click statistics could be manipulated or completely fake, why?, because customers of paid advertisement have no way to verify if ads are really shown to the general public, thats why!

Customers, paying for the ads, can become suspicious because of their 1 : 0 Return-of-Investment (ROI) but the ad providers always say than: “oh you can try this, oh you can try that” ...the more you pay, the longer you play...
Moreover its of course always the budget you invested that is to low. Normal ROI is between 1 : 100 and 1 : 10, $1,000 payed for ads $100,000 earned = 1 : 100

Don't trust ad providers if your conversion ratio is (near) 0%, if you are convinced you got a good ad and you got a good campaign it should be around 2%, thats the average (ranges can be between 0.5% - 25%, depending on your business) and the target "The Holy Grail of Marketing".

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Still bitter over your failed website?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: galien8

You need to have a good offer to start. Something that pulls at least 1% in sales on average. If you can do that you have yourself an online vending machine. A license to print money. Easier said that done though. After you've proven that your idea is working then maybe start buying some PPC ads and or getting an affiliate program working, or plug into a big affiliate hub. But the net sure has changed....

Like remember when you could actually 'SURF THE WEB"? You can't anymore. YOu can surf youtube. But you can't surf the web. That was destroyed by Google. They started penalizing sites for having a links page. Which caused all the links pages to go away. So now you can only go back to google results and search again there. It's such a scam. I kinda use to like surfing around online. How do you do that anymore? Go back to google and find more sites by big corpations they want to push down your throat and force you to look at, rather than look at someone's unique and interesting site they made from home, which you use to be able to do.

But whatever. The net is a piece of # now essecially. I'm surprised it's even still working.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   

because customers of paid advertisement have no way to verify if ads are really shown to the general public, thats why!

This isn't true. There are ways to PROVE some of these systems have interaction.

It's fairly common for that to be called an "impression" and you can even purchase ads by the "impression" in some cases, as opposed to webspace or hosting, you can just buy a set number of "impressions" and not risk your own websites terrible traffic, or Adblock for example.

To just merely claim your money is taken means you did it wrong, as the statistical analysis of impressions is the part the ad buyers are ALWAYS most interested in.

If you think 'no proof' is normal, you haven't seen how deep true advertisers investigate interest in the first place, before even buying a guaranteed impression, and then statistically analyze it. A lot more math than praying.

edit on 30-9-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Don't waste your money.. Can't outbid the Big Boys on keywords... There's only one winner..

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: UFOxFruitcakeLOL

Again this doesn't dilute from targeted impressions.

You misunderstand that just because someone pays more, that ad is on every computer. They CAN split them up. Even sell individuals.

Owning the keyword or not is peanuts to Google. They can directly target any local market and inject more ads regardless of whatever "general" advertising they've sold in the past.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
imjackGood point indeed.. I've always had my suspicions when it come to Ecomm, and recently I'd seen a fair few reports on the big hitters giving out false results. Bigup to your knowledge on the subject Sir ! I may need to buy you a Pint sometime
Just me being a Cynic I guess lol

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: UFOxFruitcakeLOL
imjackGood point indeed.. I've always had my suspicions when it come to Ecomm, and recently I'd seen a fair few reports on the big hitters giving out false results. Bigup to your knowledge on the subject Sir ! I may need to buy you a Pint sometime
Just me being a Cynic I guess lol

Well the narrative is true, or at least was, it's becoming outdated.

Targeted impressions has been a game-changer in terms of price and influence.

Take Coke and Pepsi for example, when I type "Soda" into Google a Coke pops up.

You would assume it's because they pay the most for the keyword, but the reality could be way different. It could be targeting me because I buy Coke. Or it could also be an impression, where Coke comes up for some people and Pepsi for others, where the thing promised to both of them is that they would both get guaranteed hits, and they pay per hit instead of foe the general space.

Impressions are really valueable because you can also run several separate ads in the same space to different people. Running the same ad in the same spot is likely to have reviews, and impressions suggest 'recent' reviews after 3 actually have negative impacts. Once someone's seen or clicked it, it can change and opens space for the next ad also. It's much more effective.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   
imjack Superb ! I see where you're coming from now, and also agree with the idea of repetition having a negative effect. I still think there's a lot of 'could' and 'should' out there, reminds me of SEO being no more than 'pin the tail on the donkey', but hats off you you !

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

Still bitter over your failed website?

...taste of bitter love, BITTER, BITTER...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigpatato
a reply to: galien8

Like remember when you could actually 'SURF THE WEB"? You can't anymore.

Interesting I remember way back in the nineties that most of the time I surfed from one link to another, sometimes using Altavista search engine (which was really bad and non deterministic, this means people did not get the same list with same keyword, completely random search) maybe SEO is a scam, and companies can buy there way in the organic search results

edit on 2016-9-30 by galien8 because: emoticon

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: imjack

because customers of paid advertisement have no way to verify if ads are really shown to the general public, thats why!

This isn't true. There are ways to PROVE some of these systems have interaction.

That would be great. How can you do that? Not like Google Adwords clicks ==> Increased traffic shown in Google Analytics, don't trust that out of paranoia, could be manipulated

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: UFOxFruitcakeLOL
Don't waste your money.. Can't outbid the Big Boys on keywords... There's only one winner..

Do you think click statistics can be fake? Can it all be a swindle? A ripoff?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: galien8

That would be great. How can you do that? Not like Google Adwords clicks ==> Increased traffic shown in Google Analytics, don't trust that out of paranoia, could be manipulated

Considering Google is only so big because the amount of people that compared then to Doubleclick for this one reason, idk do you think they trusted the small startup out of blind trust?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: galien8

Considering Google is only so big because the amount of people that compared then to Doubleclick for this one reason, idk do you think they trusted the small startup out of blind trust?

If you don't have some kind of new Adsense / Adwords arbitrage scheme (money pump) what is the risk for Google? You pay Adwords up front (buy credits first).

edit on 2016-10-1 by galien8 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join