It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Threatens ‘Dire Implications’ Over U.S. Law Allowing 9/11 Victims to Sue

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
Is just a gesture...

Exactly. It has no teeth and the Saudis know that too which means their posturing is just as bad as Congress.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me this process of foreign people suing a nation state? Where is the court? Who presides? What evidence is there that the state conducted 911? If none can a state be sued for what it's countrymen do abroad?

I'm not getting this.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
This no been passed yet, is no going to happen, still we need to understand that Saudi Arabia along with many of their rich fellow nations pay billions of dollars to keep sending refugees to other nations but their own, even when the refugees are their won people.

It already has been passed. The Senate voted 97-1 to overturn the veto, and the House voted 348-77. Both votes easily cleared the 2/3 majority threshold.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It's just theatrics. People can file a law suit for whatever reason....they can pay a lawyer to prepare and file the papers. Frivolity has nothing to do with it.

So, now there will be all sorts of frivolous law suits filed against Saudi Arabia....and then?

It would take a tribunal to hear them. No court is obligated to hear them.
It's just a way for lawyers to make money off of people who were bereft after 9/11.

It's as legitimate as suing Jamie Dimon and Chase Bank for causing the housing crisis....which, by the way, Trump cheered!!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
That's what happens when you rely on a rogue state to prop up your economy.

Saudi Arabia is only our twelfth largest trading partner. They need us more than we need them.

Trading is different to investment though isn't it?

Sure trade is important, but when they own bonds and decide to cash in early, then it can become troublesome.

They have created uncertainty, and the markets have reacted to it, unsurprisingly.

edit on 29/9/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Sure trade is important, but when they own bonds and d ide to cash in early, then it can become troublesome.

You cannot 'cash your bonds in early'. You can attempt to sell them but it does not impact the United States.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

There is always the ICC

The International Criminal Court (ICC or ICCt)[2] is an intergovernmental organization and international tribunal that sits in The Hague in the Netherlands. The ICC has the jurisdiction to prosecute individuals for the international crimes of genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes. The ICC is intended to complement existing national judicial systems and it may therefore only exercise its jurisdiction when certain conditions are met, such as when national courts are unwilling or unable to prosecute criminals or when the United Nations Security Council or individual states refer investigations to the Court

in fact, it seems that is exactly why the ICC was established.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
his billions are nothing compared to how much we owe and waste

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
If it wasn't such a big deal, then why is an entire country making threats regarding it?

Isn't this also a type of admission to guilt? If you go to sue someone, and they know they are innocent, they generally just go to court willingly and prove it. They don't get scared and threaten to destroy you unless they are guilty and know they will lose.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I can only imagine those poor families of the victims of 9/11 applauding their congressman for stepping in their favor, to find out later on that is nothing but a hoax, I wonder if the US will be part of the law sue, meaning that US will pay for the law sues and with our tax dollars.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The very fact that they are so opposed to this only demonstrates how guilty they are!!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Sure trade is important, but when they own bonds and d ide to cash in early, then it can become troublesome.

You cannot 'cash your bonds in early'. You can attempt to sell them but it does not impact the United States.

Oh well then, carry on Masoning.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Citibank is Saudi Arabia biggest supporter with billions coming from Saudi Arabia and the Emirates, I am sure that if Americans starts to cut their business with this group their biggest investors in the middle east will no like it.

I hold no links to this bank and its subsidiaries personally I did many years ago but not longer.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
The U.S. can open the door for U.S. citizens to sue Saudi Arabia, but does Saudi Arabia need to open their door to let U.S. Citizens sue? After all, this was NOT an "agreement" between the two countries.

It would allow us to seize their assets to pay off any court cases. Think about the billions of dollars worth of Iranian assets and accounts that were frozen during the Iranian nuclear "crisis". That's why they threatened to sell off their assets; to avoid them being frozen or seized.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
To hell with the dammed Saudis.

First thing the USA has ever done right in the ME!
edit on 29-9-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
First thing the USA has ever done right in the ME!

What, not liking that whole Arab Spring thing?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Cool then! Absolutely, let's take it to task!

Let's start with all of the Wall Street bankers, hedge fund managers (e.g. Wells Fargo), money launderers and tax evaders, shall we?

THAT would be awesome.

All of the victims of the Bangladeshi factory collapses families'.....all of the Syrian refugees.....all of the people who were forced to repatriate by warmongers.........

LET'S DO IT!!! PLEASE!!!

You have to put Bush and Cheney and Halliburton on the list, though. And numerous others.....

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Freeze their assets, like the way they did on Iran, see if these Wahhabi vermin dare to say a single word after.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Yup.

That's it in a nutshell, Marg.

Poor little Saudi Arabia is being picked on by those mean ol' families...

...and Congress finally, finally, called the Oblivious Nitwit in Chief on his failures. It only took 'em seven plus years... Oh, well. Better late than never, I suppose.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Perhaps so, but a message has been sent. Probably useless, but one never knows. Some smart young lawyer could, indeed, dig something up--they do that sometimes.

Only time will tell.

Now the Saudi's realize that their support in the States may not be as rock solid as they've been lead to believe. Best believe, at the risk of derailing this thread, that the Israeli's are watching this, too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join