It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enjoy Earth While It Lasts: Atmospheric Carbon Levels Pass the Point of No Return

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LilFox

That dynamic is amplified in tough economic times as well. People might be more willing to pay more if people had more to pay. The present economic sluggishness caused by the leaders who also want to address Global Warming is the blame, ironically, for making the green programs harder to implement.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The moon moves away from us 3.82 to.07 centimeters per year or1.504 -0.028 inches per year ] but this rate is not constant. Earths rotation is slowing slightly with time, this is do to tidal effects, the earth has on earth's rotation. Active volcanos all over earth. Lots of stuff causes lots of stuff, cows farting got to be one of the best....

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

CO2 levels have been 6 times greater in the pass and the Earth was half frozen. There is no need to fear monger. U should be more afraid of the big fireball in the sky.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The Global Warming scare was debunked a long time ago. I don't understand why people still by into this bull-crap. There is no evidence showing a direct correlation between rising CO2 levels and Earth's temperature. The average global temperature has dropped since Al Gore released his infamous propaganda piece, "An Inconvenient Truth." They stopped calling it global warming because you can't argue that natural climate change doesn't exist.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Pepe240

Good point, and it goes further.
For example, the amount of freshwater entering the oceans from Finland, Norway etc will affect the ocean currents, if the tropical flow of warm water (determined by salt levels) drops off, the whole of Europe will be covered in ice & will have a climate similar to Siberia. This is why i said it is a knife edge climate between hot & cold.

And (i get tired of mentioning this) it is a plain FACT that ALL the inner planets are getting warmer, not just Earth, so unless UFO's & Alien Humvees are powered by diesel, i can't see how our fossil fuel economy has led to this...Amazing fact is that Nature also adapts to Man (& vice-versa i would hope). Previous posters have pointed out that Earth will heal itself & will be just fine, but for us Hu-Mons it may get difficult. They are right!.

There is a theory that the Sol system warming is a multi-dimensional effect, entirely natural, that occurs every 36,000 years or so. That seems to me to be a logical explanation.
edit on 1-10-2016 by playswithmachines because: Typo's

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: playswithmachines

And (i get tired of mentioning this) it is a plain FACT that ALL the inner planets are getting warmer, not just Earth,

If it's a fact there would be evidence. Can you provide it? That would be a good place to start before discussing possible causes.

edit on 10/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I seem to remember reading a lot of articles in the last 10 years including "temperature rise on Mars unexplained" and "Jupiter's Red Spot is shrinking", the more recent posts about Venus, etc etc.

This equates (energy wise) with changes in the sun's gravitational energy, or inertia translational forms of energy.
It even has a formula that is accepted by modern theoretical physics, so it must have some merit!
Since we have known about this since the 70's i still don't see what the fuss is all about......

Fun fact 90: Plutonium is NOT weapons grade material, it is the perfect slow-decay nuclear fuel, what the gubmint class as "dangerous nuclear waste" is in fact a stockpile of useable, safe, fission material that will last the US 300 years or more. But what about the rest of us?
edit on 1-10-2016 by playswithmachines because: Addenum

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I seem to remember reading a lot of articles in the last 10 years including "temperature rise on Mars unexplained" and "Jupiter's Red Spot is shrinking", the more recent posts about Venus, etc etc.
So, no evidence that all the inner planets are warming? Maybe you should update your reading on Mars, Jupiter is not an inner planet, and what about Venus, exactly? Never mind the etc. etc., I'd like specifics we might discuss.

Since we have known about this since the 70's i still don't see what the fuss is all about......
Known about what? That CO2 is a greenhouse gas? We've known that since quite awhile before the 70s.

Fun fact 90: Plutonium is NOT weapons grade material, it is the perfect slow-decay nuclear fuel, what the gubmint class as "dangerous nuclear waste" is in fact a stockpile of useable, safe, fission material that will last the US 300 years or more. But what about the rest of us?
Ok. So what does that have to do with CO2 levels?

BTW, can you provide the number of Tesla's patent for producing NOX?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I will get around to Tesla's patent, i have most of them, i will get the numbr.

It IS a fact that astronomes & the like have been recording geologigal changes on ALL the planets, but the more severe changes occurred in the inner ring, This has been heavily documented in the NewScientist, Scientific American, and other articles, you still want me to dig them out? I can, but i have 3 Tb of files spread over 9 machines, it will take some time to ferret them out

The plutonium thing has nothing to do with CO2 or fossil fuels, except to show that they are not needed

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

You should change your headline to Enjoy Earth While It Lasts: Because humans are done for BUT the earth will continue on!

Because that is the point here. Your post is about our survival which being human I guess would be a key worry but for the earth, the earth will be fine, have been fine and will continue....... To be fine.

This ''I turn off the lights at home because I am a good boy, this means I am helping the planet!'' Meanwhile Tokyo is burning electric like its going out of fashion. Makes no difference.

Point is. Earth is fine, we are fine but sure let's keep worrying about something natural. There is more destruction caused by bugs and animals contribution to carbon levels then us alone.

Termites emit ten times more CO2 than humans.

LINK
edit on 1-10-2016 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I will get around to Tesla's patent, i have most of them, i will get the numbr.
Cool.

you still want me to dig them out?
Sure. But I would prefer the source articles rather than "consumer" science if possible.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

The Oxygen in the air we breathe kills us to s certain extent. Whats the big deal we all die someday.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
playswithmachines:

Nature also adapts to Man...

So it seems...we gave it a name, global warming. There is no evidence at all that any of the outer-planets are warming. For some of them, we have no reference for even just 1 orbit around the sun, as their orbit takes longer than the length of time they have been discovered. For the inner planets (discounting Earth), once again, there is no evidence that any greater warming than what we daily record has occurred. To be honest, how can you expect to see a growth in warming by the sun when it has been in a 'cool' phase for a while now? The total solar irradiance output has been decreasing since about 1997 on both the 1 yearly and 11 yearly measurement scales.

Think about it. When you factor in the sun's cooling phase, what effect does it have (or would you expect it to have) on the temperature of our planet? You'd expect to see a slight decrease in warming, but no such decrease has been detected here on earth, what has been detected is a continuation in the growth of warming, but slightly slowed down because of the decrease in solar irradiance. When you factor out all the other natural warming contributors on our planet, we still see increased warming year-on-year. What do you think is causing that? Yeah, that's right, our continued CO2 contribution.

The sun's cooling phase is actually aiding us with global warming, but we are not aiding the sun in this. Whether you accept this or not is irrelevant, but the continuation of the warming trend really is down to us as we continue to pump out CO2.

I know it is inconvenient for you, I really do understand. I really wish I could pamper your denial with soft fluffy pillows, but it is not going to help you at all. The day will come when you may have to face the stark choice of accepting what is fact. Our industrial activities have destabilised the natural fine-tuning of the earth's atmospheric, oceanic, and landmass dynamics, and all these dynamics are responding with effects that are going to be detrimental to most life forms on the planet, particularly land-based life...and that includes us.

We are going to get hit, with some areas around the planet getting hit harder than others. Currently, around the planet, climates that have been consistently moderate are now experiencing disruption as the greenhouse gas heat gets distributed around and mixed. Global warming has brought about climate disruption, and that's about the most benign effect we can expect to experience, and are experiencing. The sun didn't do it...we did, and continue to do so, because we hate inconvenience.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Well, the plants aught to be happy then.
Plenty of co2 for them to breathe.

Honestly, warmer is better as far as a planet goes.
So I welcome the warming.

I think I read somewhere long ago that the planet used to have a lot more carbon in the air,
so to me, this is natural.
Just co2 doing its planetary cycle.

It's not like you are going to choke and die on it in our lifetime,
and all species adapt or die,
so really, it is, no matter what the cause,
a natural process of co2 returning in a cycle to the air.

Bring on the palm trees!

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

It's not like you are going to choke and die on it in our lifetime,
No kids? But you're right, they won't choke and die.

a natural process of co2 returning in a cycle to the air.
Right. Digging up coal and oil and burning it is a perfectly natural process. Happened a lot 200 years ago.

Bring on the palm trees!

And the places that have them now?
And the cities that are on the oceans?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Atmospheric carbon dioxide is in equilibrium with the biosphere, if we manage it well, it can recuperate, can go back to 200 a 250 ppm

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Darkblade71

Well, the plants aught to be happy then. Plenty of co2 for them to breathe.

Doesn't quite happen like that, unfortunately. There are some beneficial effects with having more CO2 in the air, but many plants have a slightly different mechanism called CO4 photosynthesis, and wouldn't receive any benefit. Also, plants and trees only take in a certain amount of CO2 and then stop taking it in as they reach a saturation point, and don't take any further CO2 in until levels drop inside the plant.

Honestly, warmer is better as far as a planet goes. So I welcome the warming.

That is until the warming brings the ocean to your bedroom window. At some point, it's all going to get rather inconvenient for us all.

galien8:

Atmospheric carbon dioxide is in equilibrium with the biosphere, if we manage it well, it can recuperate, can go back to 200 a 250 ppm.

I doubt very much if we could ever 'manage it well. There is a natural CO2 exchange between seas and oceans and the air. When there is too much CO2 in the air, the seas and oceans take in excess CO2 until there is equilibrium, and when CO2 levels in the air drop below a certain point, the seas and oceans release CO2 back into the air, again, until equilibrium is reached...or, to put it more succinctly, when an equilibrium is reached. The value of that equilibrium goes up and down. A higher value of equilibrium is not good for us. I am assuming you know this, anyway?
edit on 1/10/16 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: network dude
I choose to believe that AGW is not at all like the alarmists claim. I chose to believe that the Earth is much more resilient and our input, however ugly and disruptive it may be, could not effect the Earth on a planetary level as some would suggest. What do I base that on? A feeling. (I know, super credible right?) Knowing the alternative is to run around screaming and flailing, I'd prefer to just smile and go on with my world. Whatever the temperatures might be, I'll adjust as I do each season.

Translation: "AGW isn't real because it feels better to stick my head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist."

Translation: Oh god,oh god we're all gonna die if we don't let the state regulate the planet!

NEOCON's grand dream.

Regulate the planet. Kill economies. That create jobs. That create WEALTH. Then use it to rob from the rich, and give to the poor. Them rinse, and repeat.

The ONLY people sticking their heads in the sand are the politico's using 'science' to further the same political agendas.

For those of us with out heads out of the SAND.

Already know the STATE has been in charge of the climate for over 60 years. Law after LAW.

Government agencies like the EPA already exist.

The ISSUE is exactly WHAT ?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Translation: Oh god,oh god we're all gonna die if we don't let the state regulate the planet!
We're all gonna die no matter what, actually. But your strawman argument is noted, as usual.

Already know the STATE has been in charge of the climate for over 60 years. Law after LAW.
Yup. Notice any rivers catching on fire lately? Notice how acid rain seems to not be much of a problem now? Notice how the air around our cities is cleaner than it was 40 years ago?

The ISSUE is exactly WHAT ?
The issue, in this case, is that CO2 emissions have not decreased much. Some, but not much.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The only strawman here is 'global warming'.

But hey thanks for playing.

Do you deny the STATE has been in charge for the last 60 years ?

So I ask AGAIN.

Whats the issue ?

Other than hypochondriac politico's running around acting like nazi's claiming the 'science' is settled?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join