It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMDRIVE could be scaled up to energy weapon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
So this new drive if scaled up, couldn't it become a weapon or even a shield?

The "thrust" if focused might be able to be an energy weapon of sorts if treated similar to how they scale up lasers?

Also it seems like it could be a disruption field of sorts?

Can the energy release be reflected back? Maybe some use as a radar?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

A link might be nice .

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Only at 11k

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Even refined and scaled, The force is so weak it would be best kept as an engine. Never know though. Give a cleaver person an idea..
edit on 29-9-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The whole idea behind the EM drive is that it produces thrust on very little energy.

Scale it up, I suppose it could produce more thrust- but it wouldn't be nearly as effective as, say, a 9mm pistol.

That EM drive produces *very* little thrust- the magic behind it is that you don't need much thrust to move around in space, and energy is limited to what you can grab out of "thin air"- minus the air part.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Death Ray anyone?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
So this new drive if scaled up, couldn't it become a weapon or even a shield?

The "thrust" if focused might be able to be an energy weapon of sorts if treated similar to how they scale up lasers?

Also it seems like it could be a disruption field of sorts?

Can the energy release be reflected back? Maybe some use as a radar?

It isn't a rocket. It completely contains the energy it uses but somehow produces a differential thust.

You may be confusing it with an Ion drive, which is an electrically accelerated rocket.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I don't see any practical applications right now, but I would never EVER doubt humankind's capacity of weaponizing anything.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Awesome! New tech, instead of trying to find practical ways to use it in everyday life, lets make it into a weapon!

This is why the human race is doomed

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Lets just get it working efficiently enough to be considered an effective means of propulsion before we pervert it and weaponize the thing.

I like the idea that it could be used as a means of shielding all the same especially when one considers the implication of encountering matter at any kind of hyper velocity associated with interplanetary/interstellar travel.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Xevenwell if you could attatch one to a piece of large space rock and aim it at a planet it might push it there eventually

top topics

join