It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kneeling is not a sign of disrespect

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Is any of this personal sniping necessary?

Nope, but I find it hard to let go when someone pokes me. I will quit now.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
While being paid, AT WORK, whether you are working in a factory or a crappy player in the NFL, you are NOT on your own time. I don't give a rat's behind what this fool does on his own time, but while representing his team and the NATIONAL Football League, he should respect the fans.

So many people are supporting this fool while not realizing that he is using his employers field, and paid for television time that he didn't pony up the dough for, to 'make a statement'. Save it for the riots, prima donna.

Do it on your own time, and pay for your own TV airing.
edit on 28-9-2016 by FissionSurplus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I don't recall anyone specifying certain cops....seems they want them all gone.

It's clear that you have done no research to see what is actually being protested. But, instead, you have decided that they hate all cops. That's just ignorance of the facts.

Educate yourself. It's not cops that are the problem. What is being protested is a system that puts cops who murder unarmed black men on paid leave.

Ah yes, hence the pig cop socks worn by the guy that started it....I a SURE that is what he was thinking at the time...please spare me. Now once it was picked up then the stance may have changed, but it SURELY didn't start that way.

So one person wears socks with pigs dressed as police officers on them, and he somehow suddenly represents every single person in the country who speaks out about officers who are rewarded with a paid vacation when they abuse the authority of their badge by wrongly killing another human being, and not put away for murder as any other killer off the street would be? I personally think it's utter horsesh!t that cops are often not held to the letter of the law in situations where they themselves violate it...but I certainly didn't form that opinion based on some asshole sporting costumed swine on his socks.

You have made some valid points here, such as the suggestion that people who say that we have no need for police be given a healthy taste of what daily life would be like if there were no more cops in their area to keep criminals at bay. People who make ridiculous statements like that forget that for every crime that gets reported in the news, there are millions more occurring on a daily basis all over the country that we never hear about, and if law enforcement was no longer in the picture, all of those "insignificant" crimes would very quickly escalate and overrun the community.

Robbery, sexual assault, domestic abuse, home invasion, child and elder abuse, shoplifting, breaking and entering, reckless and drunk driving, traffic violations, vandalism...all of those things and more occur every minute in this country, and the public never even thinks twice about how many police officers are needed to keep communities from being overrun by them. They would very quickly change their tune if there were suddenly no more cops to intervene at all anymore, because all the crime that escaped their notice before would become a stark reality for them. You are absolutely correct about that.

However, the message is cheapened by following it with inaccurate blanket assertions that because one individual chooses to display a lack of respect for law enforcement in general, anyone else who happens to share his sentiments on specific issues regarding the unnecessary use of deadly force by some police officers and the lack of any real consequences for it are by proxy also cop haters. That is simply not true, and such false blanket statements directly contribute to the conflict by further polarizing the issue and attributing the beliefs of individuals to the influence of others, essentially implying that they lack the ability to form their own opinions on the matter.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

The NFL and the 49ers do not have a policy to address this issue. On the other hand the LA Rams do have a very specific policy laid out by their coach on the tv program hard knocks this year.

If the NFL and the 49ers do not have a policy then it becomes a 1st amendment issue. You are not against the first amendment are you?

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I don't recall anyone specifying certain cops....seems they want them all gone.

It's clear that you have done no research to see what is actually being protested. But, instead, you have decided that they hate all cops. That's just ignorance of the facts.

Educate yourself. It's not cops that are the problem. What is being protested is a system that puts cops who murder unarmed black men on paid leave.

Ah yes, hence the pig cop socks worn by the guy that started it....I a SURE that is what he was thinking at the time...please spare me. Now once it was picked up then the stance may have changed, but it SURELY didn't start that way.

So one person wears socks with pigs dressed as police officers on them, and he somehow suddenly represents every single person in the country who speaks out about officers who are rewarded with a paid vacation when they abuse the authority of their badge by wrongly killing another human being, and not put away for murder as any other killer off the street would be? I personally think it's utter horsesh!t that cops are often not held to the letter of the law in situations where they themselves violate it...but I certainly didn't form that opinion based on some asshole sporting costumed swine on his socks.

You have made some valid points here, such as the suggestion that people who say that we have no need for police be given a healthy taste of what daily life would be like if there were no more cops in their area to keep criminals at bay. People who make ridiculous statements like that forget that for every crime that gets reported in the news, there are millions more occurring on a daily basis all over the country that we never hear about, and if law enforcement was no longer in the picture, all of those "insignificant" crimes would very quickly escalate and overrun the community.

Robbery, sexual assault, domestic abuse, home invasion, child and elder abuse, shoplifting, breaking and entering, reckless and drunk driving, traffic violations, vandalism...all of those things and more occur every minute in this country, and the public never even thinks twice about how many police officers are needed to keep communities from being overrun by them. They would very quickly change their tune if there were suddenly no more cops to intervene at all anymore, because all the crime that escaped their notice before would become a stark reality for them. You are absolutely correct about that.

However, the message is cheapened by following it with inaccurate blanket assertions that because one individual chooses to display a lack of respect for law enforcement in general, anyone else who happens to share his sentiments on specific issues regarding the unnecessary use of deadly force by some police officers and the lack of any real consequences for it are by proxy also cop haters. That is simply not true, and such false blanket statements directly contribute to the conflict by further polarizing the issue and attributing the beliefs of individuals to the influence of others, essentially implying that they lack the ability to form their own opinions on the matter.

I am out right now so can only respond quickly but will address your last statement...I would say the riots destroying cities point to exactly the fact that they lack the ability to wait for evidence before forming opinions on their own. It is a knee jerk reaction that creates more violence, sometimes causing more death, that does nothing for their cause.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

A professional basketball player got his arm broken by cops, so they are not immune to it.

But even then, I can have empathy for starving people even tho I don't got hungry everyday.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ
If the football player who started this bs of kneeling would take his time and money to the inner cities he would have the change he is looking for.... or maybe is he looking for more division. Maybe it was a "knee" jerk reaction and one not well thought out. Look at the division it's contributed to.

Ridiculous.

Over the last 3 years they have raised over $900,000 with Colin giving a hell of a lot of time, endoresement and his own money.

urbanintellectuals.com...

And that is just one cause. Oops. Wanna try again?

Helping kids with heart condition isn't what I was talking about. Read again.

All the professional football players would be smart to contribute to charities being they make a ton of money and it's a great business move. I was specific in my post about helping the inner cities.
edit on 28-9-2016 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

They do. They even have an award for for it. Walter Payton Man of the Year.

The Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award recognizes an NFL player for his excellence on and off the field. The award was established in 1970. It was renamed in 1999 after the late Hall of Fame Chicago Bears running back, Walter Payton. Each team nominates one player who has had a significant positive impact on his community.

People should educate themselves before just spouting stuff.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

The Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award recognizes an NFL player for his excellence on and off the field. The award was established in 1970. It was renamed in 1999 after the late Hall of Fame Chicago Bears running back, Walter Payton. Each team nominates one player who has had a significant positive impact on his community.

I think a LOT of professional sports players give back to community. Many times they came from poor communities, I would even hazard a guess that the majority did. For the most part they have big hearts.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

a reply to: Vasa Croe

It's pretty simple though. What different perspective is needed? When Mr White and Mr Black leave the house the odds are 3 times greater that Mr Black won't come home compared to Mr White. Simple.

WHY is this?

More blacks live in poverty. They begin selling drugs at a young age. They are taught from the older ones in heir neighborhood how to get money quick. This isn't a secret!! It's our reality!

Want to make a change?

Go to the inner cities and offer your time and money to the kids and help educate them that violence doesn't help just makes matters worse. Teach them there is a better life out there and how to obtain it. Offer them more ways to get out of the neighborhood.

Asking them to go and riot and burn their city is insane. Asking people to show support by kneeling or laying down isn't going to help it's only making matters worse. Has nothing to do with the problem AT ALL.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I agree a lot of them do and it's a smart business move. Lets be real. Taxes are the reason not necessarily their sweet warming heart. Giving their time to the kids of inner cities not just for sportsman but for all people who want the change. I give my time to kids all the time. I give my time to homeless people too. Be the change you want to be is my point.

The people following this notion of kneeling and laying down to the anthem is their right and thats fine by me all Im saying is what good is it doing? NONE! Creating more division is all.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I never said they didn't have an award. If you knew how to read and comprehend you wouldn't have even replied that to me. Try again.

I was specific in my post about helping the inner cities.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

You mean like in Chicago, Philly, Baltimore, etc? THEY DO. I wouldn't be slamming someone else's comprehension if my own was that lacking. Not wanting to see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I agree a lot of them do and it's a smart business move. Lets be real. Taxes are the reason not necessarily their sweet warming heart. Giving their time to the kids of inner cities not just for sportsman but for all people who want the change. I give my time to kids all the time. I give my time to homeless people too. Be the change you want to be is my point.

The people following this notion of kneeling and laying down to the anthem is their right and thats fine by me all Im saying is what good is it doing? NONE! Creating more division is all.

Very true...it is just a symbolic thing.

I, too, have spent a lot of time with less fortunate folks. Mostly at battered women and childrens shelters in Atlanta and mostly with the kids...they are the ones that really matter to me. 90% of the women go back to the same man and never learn...the kids are who I focused on and tried to help the most. I have no sympathy for someone who hurts children at all...

And yes...it really is doing no good at all. Trouble with the athletes is that while they are paid a ton, a lot of them also came from the impoverished areas and as such are not well educated themselves...they just play a sport really well. Without education and the ability to critically think they are not going to be able to help much.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Standing is a sign of respect for all the people that have lost their lives that helped contribute to make the country what it is today ( great america?). By not standing it is a complete disrespect for fallen soldiers/ law enforcement/ politicians (if you will) who made it safe for you to have the misguided views you have. To do so at a funeral would be equally disrespectful.

Pick and choose when to make a political stance on something you know nothing about ( footballer in question). Just not during the national anthem. You don't like america and the opportunities it gave you. Then leave. Pretty simple. Don't piss on veterans and those that dedicated their lives for you to be able to have your opinions.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
Standing is a sign of respect for all the people that have lost their lives that helped contribute to make the country what it is today ( great america?). By not standing it is a complete disrespect for fallen soldiers/ law enforcement/ politicians (if you will) who made it safe for you to have the misguided views you have. To do so at a funeral would be equally disrespectful.

That's been done. It has nothing to do with the veterans. They even say that it's his right.

Pick and choose when to make a political stance on something you know nothing about ( footballer in question).

Kap doesn't know what it's like to be Black in America? And the rest of them? You going to inform them?

Just not during the national anthem. You don't like america and the opportunities it gave you. Then leave. Pretty simple. Don't piss on veterans and those that dedicated their lives for you to be able to have your opinions.

That is exactly why there are protests. Their country is saying, "Shut up. Behave or leave."

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

You mean like in Chicago, Philly, Baltimore, etc? THEY DO. I wouldn't be slamming someone else's comprehension if my own was that lacking. Not wanting to see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Im sure some do but if you would be honest with yourself and do some research there is only a handful and I promise they get on the ball before April 15th. I just sold a home to an NFL player. He gives to the research of marijuana. Many have their own charities but if we count the ones who kneeled and layed down they are in no way helping kids living in poverty in the inner cities.

It's obvious more needs to be done to solve this problem.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Kids look up to this guy. Im wondering if it was his idea to delete the post and donate or if someone had to tell him what to do. Either way.... 5 cops were killed right after this mans hate post.

Browns running back Isaiah Crowell has already apologized, and has already been told that wasn’t enough. Now, the man who posted and quickly deleted a drawing of a man killing a police officer last week is putting his money where his mouth is. Crowell told TMZ Sports he was donating his first game check of the season to the Dallas Fallen Officer Foundation, which supports officers killed in duty like the five last week. Crowell’s unfortunate post came before the Dallas shootings, but after a pair of men were shot and killed by police in Louisiana and Minnesota.

My point throughout this thread is simple.

Be a part of the solution... NOT the problem.

National anthem has zero to do with the inner city violence and the problem we have with black on black crime/murders.

Giving time and money will help solve this problem.

By posting that picture, I became part of the problem. And I don’t want to be part of the problem, I want to be part of the solution. . . .
profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

If you spent as much time Googling what NFL players do for the inner cities, as opposed to looking for anything negative, you'll find out how out of touch you are with reality. You know nothing about this. Just what you THINK.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Kids look up to this guy. Im wondering if it was his idea to delete the post and donate or if someone had to tell him what to do. Either way.... 5 cops were killed right after this mans hate post.

Browns running back Isaiah Crowell has already apologized, and has already been told that wasn’t enough. Now, the man who posted and quickly deleted a drawing of a man killing a police officer last week is putting his money where his mouth is. Crowell told TMZ Sports he was donating his first game check of the season to the Dallas Fallen Officer Foundation, which supports officers killed in duty like the five last week. Crowell’s unfortunate post came before the Dallas shootings, but after a pair of men were shot and killed by police in Louisiana and Minnesota.

My point throughout this thread is simple.

Be a part of the solution... NOT the problem.

National anthem has zero to do with the inner city violence and the problem we have with black on black crime/murders.

Giving time and money will help solve this problem.

By posting that picture, I became part of the problem. And I don’t want to be part of the problem, I want to be part of the solution. . . .
profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...

I'm sure he was told by someone to delete it. What a piece of trash. He should be kicked from the team. what is sad is he used his fame to get that pic in front of a lot of people.

He is a perfect example of a uneducated thug in professional sports. Part of the problem instead of the solution.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join