It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kneeling is not a sign of disrespect

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

It's pretty simple though. What different perspective is needed? When Mr White and Mr Black leave the house the odds are 3 times greater that Mr Black won't come home compared to Mr White. Simple.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I mean the point is obvious, but here's a fun analogy:

A hacker becomes world famous using the American Salute, right before he kills victims live on TV.

Someone in the street Salutes you. What do you do?

His kneeling and that's a over-the-top amount of respect, would you be mad if he had his hand over his heart AND kneeled? That's the point right? He doesn't put his hand over his heart. What does kneeling have to do with it? You understand the specifics of a Pledge is that it's spoken? Should we castrate people who don't speak up? No. Why? Because it's a ludacris argument. The world isn't black and white, this man obviously respects his career and opportunity, but also his rights.

edit on 28-9-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

It's pretty simple though. What different perspective is needed? When Mr White and Mr Black leave the house the odds are 3 times greater that Mr Black won't come home compared to Mr White. Simple.

What I am saying is when you use one calculation then you open the door for them all to have to be used. Using that is assuming that every town in every city has the same ratio of race as the rest of the country and the same shooting ratio by race as the rest of the country. This simply isn't true.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Your original statement appears to be talking about more people than just Kaepernick though.

I don't recall anyone specifying certain cops....seems they want them all gone.

You don't tend to use those bolded pronouns when talking about just one guy.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: searcherfortruth

originally posted by: searcherfortruth
Kneeling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kneeling is a basic human position where one or both knees touch the ground. It is used as a resting position, during childbirth and as an expression of reverence and submission. It is possible to kneel with one leg and assume another position (such as squatting) with the other leg.

They kneel for Royalty, they kneel for the Pope, they kneel to pray, so why is kneeling for the National Anthem a sign of disrespect? Is it actually a law that we must stand for it? No. I think this whole broohaha over these people kneeling is ridiculous.

No where did I mention anything about color or cops, I pointed out something that has been completely overlooked. Kneeling regardless of the intention is NOT a show of disrespect. If you take the literal translation of the definition it is simply a submissive sign of respect. And no where is it written that a person can not kneel during the National Anthem and still respect the flag or country.

He may have done it in protest, but he, also, did what was his right to do, freedom of speech does not stop at the locker room door and last I looked that is a protected right under the Constitution, or does that just get selectively applied when it suits ones purpose, like the right to bear arms?

You say there are more important issues to focus on and guess what you may be right, the stupid debates and political nonsense? How about global warming and chemtrails? Sure I guess the killing of innocent people with their arms in the air is not really all that important, dropping bombs on innocent civilians certainly is a bigger issue, but not many people care about that either, and guess what I bet those people that were killed in the Middle East this past 30 years were all kneeling when they said goodbye.

Well you just told me the OP was only about the definition of kneeling, so why the diatribe? I was pointing out that if it was only about the definition of kneeling it shouldn't be in the forum you placed it.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

And now you know why there's protests. The Black community has been saying, "Hey, this imbalance is wrong." Then someone comes along, skews the data and says, "That's not true." Words have been ignored. Actions will follow. It's Newtonian. And here we are.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Your original statement appears to be talking about more people than just Kaepernick though.

I don't recall anyone specifying certain cops....seems they want them all gone.

You don't tend to use those bolded pronouns when talking about just one guy.

Actually my original post in this is the one before that where I specifically stated Kaepernick....figured people would understand but I figured wrong.

Either way....let me know which specific countrymen I should be getting on to for oppressing blacks as the statement made was "entire country".

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Kneeling is much more uncomfortable than standing. It could be seen as an extra honorage to the service members, that´s my opinion. It rather find it disrespecting to just sit around on the butt, if the individuum is healthy enough to be bothered to stand up. I mean, it´s not something big. We´re not to judge others and everyone should have their own ways but that´s something established in western culture. Looking someone in the eyes while talking to another is seen as self explanatory. However there are cultures like in egypt, where it´s deemed offensive. They talk to each others earlobes for example.

But in the end it´s the individuums decision, I can find it disrespectful, but that´s my private opinion and that being said, I can just ignore it.
edit on 28-9-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Well I SPECIFICALLY quoted the post I was responding to, so why would you assume I was talking about a different post?

Either way....let me know which specific countrymen I should be getting on to for oppressing blacks as the statement made was "entire country".

My POINT was that you are lumping all with the few based on one guy's opinion, and you are presuming to speak for a group (negatively and biased against them I might add) that you don't represent.
edit on 28-9-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Well I SPECIFICALLY quoted the post I was responding to, so why would you assume I was talking about a different post?

Well I SPECIFICALLY said Kaepernick in my first post. I INCORRECTLY assumed that others would know I was talking about the one that began the movement....it's cool though...pick and choose how you will.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I'm kind of disappointed the media is giving this guy so much attention. Let him kneel, and move on.

In purely unrelated news NFL ratings are taking a pretty sizable hit this year.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

My POINT was that you are lumping all with the few based on one guy's opinion, and you are presuming to speak for a group (negatively and biased against them I might add) that you don't represent.

Ah...got it now. So let them lump all police together and because I'm white I shouldn't speak. Understood.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I'm kind of disappointed the media is giving this guy so much attention. Let him kneel, and move on.

In purely unrelated news NFL ratings are taking a pretty sizable hit this year.

Even bigger news? JJ Watt was placed on IR ending his season.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Ah...got it now. So let them lump all police together and because I'm white I shouldn't speak. Understood.

Now you are speaking for me. Where did I mention your skin color?

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Now you are speaking for me. Where did I mention your skin color?

Well you said "group" of which I am unfamiliar with any group name these kneelers have been given and was under the impression that they represent blacks being shot by police, then referenced that i am speaking for a group that I don't represent....was I supposed to take that in another manner?

This is similar to your argument from my post you referenced....

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

So the only group other than "black" is "white" in your book? Interesting...

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

So the only group other than "black" is "white" in your book? Interesting...

Ha...nice deflection. Though I don't recall anyone from the "group" you mention saying anything about Hispanics or other minorities being an issue with police shootings.

Anywho...carry on with the bias.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Says the person who just got called out for several strawmans, speaking for another group, AND for speaking for the person she was speaking to. Though I don't expect you to admit your wrongness. So don't worry you can smugly pretend you were right. I don't care.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Is any of this personal sniping necessary?

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Says the person who just got called out for several strawmans, speaking for another group, AND for speaking for the person she was speaking to. Though I don't expect you to admit your wrongness. So don't worry you can smugly pretend you were right. I don't care.

Hmm...not sure what you are referring to but happy to carry on and try to refrain from being so white for you next time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join