It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed and Boeing receive MQ-25 risk reduction funds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Boeing and Lockheed Martin both received a $43M risk reduction contract for the Navy MQ-25 Stingray carrier based tanker program. The contract will be used to develop technologies to be used on the aircraft.

This is potentially bad news for Northrop and General Atomics as the risk reduction contract usually only goes to companies that have a chance at the final contract award.

Lockheed Martin Corp., Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co., Palmdale, California, is being awarded a $43,606,518 cost-plus-fixed-fee contract to conduct risk reduction activities in support of the MQ-25 unmanned carrier aviation air system, including refinement of concepts and development of trade space for requirements generation in advance of the engineering and manufacturing development phase of the program. Work will be performed in Palmdale, California (98 percent); and Fort Worth, Texas (2 percent), and is expected to be completed in October 2017.

The Boeing Co., St. Louis, Missouri, is being awarded a $43,354,421 cost-plus-fixed-fee contract to conduct risk reduction activities in support of the MQ-25 unmanned carrier aviation air system, including refinement of concepts and development of trade space for requirements generation in advance of the engineering and manufacturing development phase of the program. Work will be performed in St. Louis, Missouri (99 percent); and Puget Sound, Washington (1 percent), and is expected to be completed in October 2017.

www.defense.gov...

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Surprising considering how far NG had come in maturing their demonstrator.

I wonder if LM or Boring had something on paper or actually flying that holds better potential or if it is another case of industrial base preservation. The DoD might also be trying not to overload NG and keep them on track with the Raider.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Seems like some pretty cool technology though.

Didn't Northrop get a big contract here recently on a next gen aircraft? Might have been a different company.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: gpols

They got the B-21 bomber contract, for at least 100 aircraft, possibly more.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

They may have been flying the out at Tonopah, or another UAV area, testing airworthiness.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Well I do believe the B-52 should be retired and few of them should find some nice homes in a museums somewhere. I was reading on another thread how the B-52 is still our primary bomber. Which when you think about it is extremely mind boggling considering our fighter jets have had several incarnations since WWII.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: gpols

The B-52 makes an outstanding missile truck and now that it's got the PGM upgrade to carry them internally, it makes a great CAS platform in permissive airspace. If they ever get off their butt and give it an SOJ capability, it'll be more flexible.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to: Zaphod58

Lockheed and Boeing are not alone. More to come : )

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TAGBOARD

I love those vague answers from people working on projects.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

A lot of chatter about this. Certain companies looking to sweeten the pot with a JASSM/LRASM/JSM hardpoint, fly along capability with the F-35, and refueling. 3 or 4 aircraft, controlled from the cockpit, virtual wingman.

It will keep the -35 clean for stealth.

This could be the "limited strike capability" they're talking about. Naval air warfare dir. is pushing this, insistent from what I'm getting.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Third contract awarded today.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TAGBOARD

General Dynamics? Is the Sea Avenger back alive?
edit on 5-10-2016 by Bfirez because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

General Atomics.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
And the stupid continues. Northrop received $35M. The monies for all four are to convert their ISR platforms into tankers.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
And the stupid continues. Northrop received $35M. The monies for all four are to convert their ISR platforms into tankers.

Give me a chainsaw and pizza and I could do it for less..

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The Navy informed the industry that Lockheed, Boeing, Northrop, and General Atomics are the only four companies that will receive the RFP for the MQ-25 program. No other companies will be allowed to bid. That notification is one of the last steps before the RFP is released.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
If they were smart they would have it modular in the airframe..But meh what do we know...

top topics

join