It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeremy Corbyn wins Labour Leadership

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
According to legend, a large part of his original vote came from Conservative moles. I saw a letter in the Daily Telegraph boasting of it as "the best two pounds I ever spent".
This whole business of having a popular vote is also in conflict with a basic principle of the British constitution, i.e. the fact that a Prime Minister is chosen by being able to field a majority in the House of Commons. In effect, he is elected by the M.P.'s. Their votes are the ones that really matter.
If the Labour M.P.'s had any guts, they would break away from the PLP and form their own Parliamentary grouping. If the defection was large enough, they could at least depose him as Leader of the Opposition. But they probably don't have the guts, in which case they deserve all they get.
edit on 24-9-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

yet if it would've been a conservative or Owen Smith, they'd have been all over it.

I still wouldn't give a toss.
I care about policies.

What they do outside of the House of Commons, besides kiddy fiddling & tax avoidance, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85
a reply to: MongolianPaellaFish

Yh I just replied to the OP and remembered that he was always against the EU until it fitted his plans.

He has always been critical of the EU, but he never said he was against it. Even when campaigning for the Remain vote he repeated the same criticisms he's always held.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

So because you believe that Labour's leader should be chosen by MPs that's should be changed???

Well Labour members believe they should choose seeing as it's them who need representation not the MPs.

I believe the latter.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Well it does have something to do with his politics because he used his little lie as a base for a political change that he wants. He video taped himself on the floor to try and say that trains were over crowded and that if it was under national control it wouldn't, so he used it as a political message so you should care. He isn't a totally honest guy and it's a mistake for people to forget Traingate because it shows he is just like other politicians and will use situations to his own purpose.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: bilbous
It was never in doubt. Happy for him winning it, but he still makes the Labour party unelectable with him in charge.
But, but but...we do not vote for a leader, we vote for our local representative!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Almost two years ago he gave an interview to the BBC (I think it was Radio one) and he was asked what he didn't like about the EU and he said (I'm paraphrasing here): The EU isn't what it could've been. It should be redone or restarted. Deals should be taken off the table until we get it sorted. If it doesn't go down the route of it's original intention, peace and fair trade with countries keeping their sovereignty then it should be closed down and something else put in it's place"

While not out and out against it he is clearly against the idea of the EU, which I am as well but I'm up front about it and will shout it from the rooftop.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Let's put it this way.
If Labour had a majority in the Commons, and the Labour M.P.'s chose NOT to follow Corbyn, then he could not be Prime Minister. He would not be able to carry votes or get budgets passed, and therefore he could not run the country. That's how the Parliamentary system works.

We do get our representation. We get our representation by voting for the M.P.'s in the first place.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Let's put it this way.

We'd also like a say in who leads our representation.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

He was against the EU.
Even his own brother thinks he voted 'Leave' in the EU referendum!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

Corbyn cannot become PM

Why ? , there are 4 years left before the next election how do you know what will happen in that time.
Change is happening around the world why shouldn't the UK be part of that rather than sticking with the old status quo, Labour has won 4 by elections since he became leader and will win many more , hardly unelectable , Corbyn can become PM.

Labour will and probably should break up after this.

Labour won't break up , certain sections of the media would like to propagate that idea but it is a fantasy of the right.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: 83Liberty

So what if he did vote leave?

He campaigned to stay in line with Labour's policy.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
And if the Labour M.P.'s accept my suggestion and decline to follow the imposed leader into the voting lobbies at Westminster, what can you do about it?
If they have a majority in the Commons, and choose to follow Fred Bloggs instead, then Fred Bloggs is necessarily made Prime Minister instead of Corbyn.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

If Labour MPs accept your proposal then it's proof of a coup...

Simple fact is people still disbelieve that because everything was made to be about Jeremy's "unelectability"...
A meme that seems to only come from his opposition and useless talking heads on question time.

Those New Labour lot should move on and start their own party like George Galloway if they're so confident they can win without Jeremy's leadership.

I'd like to burst that bubble lol.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

So what if he did vote leave?
He campaigned to stay in line with Labour's policy.

Can't you see the contradiction in that?

He campaigned to stay in the EU for either personal or political gains, not for what he truly believes in.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Those New Labour lot should move on and start their own party like George Galloway if they're so confident they can win without Jeremy's leadership.

There we agree. I made a simiilar suggestion in my own first post on the thread (pointing out that a large enough defection could at least depose him as Leader of the Opposition).
But I don't think they have the guts to try, so the question won't come to a test.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

He campaigned to remain because that's what the people of his party wanted him to do.
He represents the people, but at the ballot box he represents himself.

I think it's a stretch to call it a contradiction.
He had no obligation to vote how he is told to vote, that's not democracy.

But he is elected to represent their terms on the campaign trail.

I'd have done the same.
That's if he even did vote leave, which we no proof of either way.
I'm just sayin.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Yes we do agree mate, sorry if I came across obnoxious at all.

I agree with you fully on that sentiment too, I believe they're gutless...

Listening to Liz Kendall waffle on Question Time the other day about what labour means to her, rather than her representatives like myself is why we support Corbyn.

The New Labour lot would find themselves less impressive that The Respect Party too I believe.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I watched it on BBC2. Owen Smith was an oily bastard imho and at least Corbyn is the real deal in terms of conviction. It's more impressive considering the behind-the-scene theatrics, stirring and back-stabbing.

Corbyn has risen on merits and Smith was typical political careerist.

A lot of what Corbyn has said makes sense and other areas are pitiful imo. His views on the Armed Forces and how to project power on the world stage seemed like 6th Form idealism. He has that idea that if we wind down the Armed Forces, everyone else will too. It's like world conflict will cease if we send a few aid convoys and disband the military.

Bless his fluffy world outlook X

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

He was against the EU.

There is nothing in that video of Corbyn from many years ago that would indicate how he voted this year , what he said was true and I'm sure he would still hold that opinion but it's indicative of nothing.

edit on 24-9-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join