It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello ATS...Anybody ever have a DNA test for Ancestry?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Looking to purchase one of these kits but not sure if folks on here have any positive or negative experiences with them...Would like to know cost and how specific are the results..

Peace out ATS'ers

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I would like to so will be interested to see the comments here.
I can trace my family name back to the year 922 which all my heritage is Irish up until that point..

link   
I have wondered about those myself. Looking forward to these responses.

Since this is a conspiracy website....
Don't send them your DNA!
They are looking for you!
Your immune!

That's better..

link   
a reply to: chrismarco

I'm curious too, and thinking about it. There's 23 and me; Ancestry, and national geographic has one. I can't decide.
They all give their prices and what they do on their sites. They seem to range from 100.00 to 200. as I recall. I'll be interested to see the experiences of others. I know one is just a swab in the cheek, but another one you have to send a cup of saliva. I don't want to do that one. lol.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Haha you beat me to the punch, you almost said word for word my thoughts.

But the idea is very intriguing.

S&F

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I have wondered about those myself. Looking forward to these responses.

Since this is a conspiracy website....
Don't send them your DNA!
They are looking for you!
Your immune!

That's better..

Thanks for getting it over with. And I'll chime in, DON'T send DNA! They'll get you! They'll clone you! "They" will set you up for all of life's horrors!

edit on 9/23/2016 by angeldoll because: Oh, and put you in a fema camp. Yikes!

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
23andMe & Ancestory.com DNA Shutdown
posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:10 AM

Flags: 12
Stars: 13

Link to ATS thread
edit on 23-9-2016 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I used 23andme and it was utterly fascinating...I went with them instead of ancestry as they had a bigger database..

As a male you will get more data as u have x and y contributions to trace...

My wife's was less informative so we gave her brother one to get more data...

You will be surprised at how much saliva is required...

The most interesting part is the haplotype appearance(s)....so u can tell when your "group" came to be...my mom was a 38,000 year old population while my dad was the younger hominid at 14,000....

Unfortunately laws of today do not allow for data such as Alzheimer's and cancer potential in your haplotype....I wish I had done it earlier so as to know my genetic tendencies...

I still fill out most of the surveys with the hope that one day they will release the meta data results so we can proceed with knowledge of our genetic tendencies..

I can't recommend it highly enough...great birthday and/or holiday present...I've given them out to all of my close friends and extended family...

Sidenote: you can have it alert you when cousins join[you set threshold]...very fun

-Chris

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Be careful!

I was locked and loaded for 23andMe just a few weeks ago. It looks fantastic with genomes and pathways all the way back to where your ancestors came from. Percentage of Neanderthal and a few cautions for predispositions for types of cancer and so on. This is the stuff I would be fascinated by and it'd make a great thread too.

I entered every detail and CC payment and then paused on the last *buy* button.

The reason was because the T&Cs aren't locked down. There's no way of knowing what a future society or change of legislation will do with your test results. The information and data apply to others in your family too and that's what concerned me most.

The results are anonymised and shared with medical institutions because they're obviously high value and represent excellent sample sizes of diverse populations. It makes logical and ethical sense to share these results, right?

Imagine a change in legislation whereby an insurance company gets to know you're likely to develop Parkinson's early? Your sons, daughters, brothers and sisters and their sons and daughters would be at risk of carrying the same gene markers. Now imagine if your results were attached to their records and influenced their access to various healthcare plans and insurance policies?

What's healthy curiosity today could potentially lower the quality of life for loved ones in the decades to come. The T&Cs make note of anonymising the data and yet I've read Ben Goldacre explaining how intelligent scrutiny can begin to reveal data that can be linked to groups and individuals.

If I could be sure of the security of my results, I'd go ahead and pay right now.

ETA - it's a genuine issue - British Medical Journal
edit on 9.23.2016 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
My dad did the 23 and me just recently. Came back mostly Irish, some Scottish, and a few other small trace things.

Results sound good since we're 6'4", red headed and pale skinned.
edit on 23-9-2016 by Excallibacca because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Yes I did 23 and me and then loaded my genome onto promethease. It's pretty cool. I thought that I would have a diverse background but I ended up being 99% European and 1% ashkenazi Jew.
edit on 23-9-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Done DNA for paternity and there been some issues so I have read up on the subject and done some learning.
Ancestry DNA works the same as with a fortune teller, does it make a difference if they say 10% Irish or 25% ?,
those companies are there to make a buck!

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

That would be my concern also.

To hand over your DNA to an organisation, without knowing what nefarious laws our beloved leaders are planning, no thanks!!

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I'd be interested in doing it for the information..
I know I must be pretty much half German, and some different native american groups and a lot of english, but it would be funny if I was way off.

To me it's kind of like a horoscope.. oh you've got a lot of German in you, no wonder this this or this..

Plus I have suspicions something about my family tree is off haha, like maybe a name change in there somewhere or something.

I didn't know it was 100 or 200 is that true? I thought it was like 1,000 dollars.. If it's in that first price range I might try it out sometime.

edit on 23-9-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
I would like to so will be interested to see the comments here.
I can trace my family name back to the year 922 which all my heritage is Irish up until that point..

My mom did the DNA test a couple of years back and was astounded to find that our Irish ancestry had originated in Scandinavia!

Pretty amazing family records you have there, I must say.
edit on 23-9-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

I'd be interested in doing it for the information..
I know I must be pretty much half German, and some different native american groups and a lot of english, but it would be funny if I was way off.

To me it's kind of like a horoscope.. oh you've got a lot of German in you, no wonder this this or this..

Plus I have suspicions something about my family tree is off haha, like maybe a name change in there somewhere or something.

I didn't know it was 100 or 200 is that true? I thought it was like 1,000 dollars.. If it's in that first price range I might try it out sometime.

I can't remember what I paid for the first one($150 maybe) but each additional one was $99 if u already had an account

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I have tested at Ancestry. They only do autosomal dna tests which run about 100 plus tax.

If you want to compare your actual dna segments to others you will need to transfer a copy to a website called Gedmatch. Gedmatch is free and run by volunteers to help adoptees find family. They have transfers from family tree dna and 23 and me.

Family Tree DNA offers ydna testing as well as autosomal. They also have a few tools to compare segments.

I did not use 23 and me because they have a large grant to study something from the gov. Also, I believe it is owned by the wife of Google's founder.

You have to register at Gedmatch before you can see the site so here is a link to The Legal Genealogist for a description.

Be aware, you may find out you are not who you think you are (I did) or find a close relative that wasn't there before.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Exactly! It's a real shame because it'd be cool knowing how Neanderthal we are or that our distant ancestors came from NW Ireland or wherever else.

As long as the info went online it'd be piped off to any number of places.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Me and my father took DNA kits from familytreeDNA, they don´t give your DNA big pharma´s etc, not without your permission. 23 and me also Ancestry has a deal with pharma´s and you have no control over your own DNA.
When your kit is finished you can download your DNA and apply it for example in Geni, Myheritage. If you take kit from National geographic you can uplod that in familytreeDNA and compare your result with other users.

There are many option where from... just read carefully what permissions you give DNA company by buying their kits.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

If you can download your autosomal DNA you can use free service gedmatch and upload it there to see how much you have. Its fun

top topics

<<   2 >>

join