It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte is NOT a Hero - Charisma is NOT a Reason to Cheer Death

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze

originally posted by: DigitalVigilante420
a reply to: pianopraze

People love him, here, despite what you say.

Please do not put words in my mouth. I did not say that and you are being dishonest.

See my above post and a couple others in this thread where I acknowledge that many people support him. It is a different culture. My mom equates marijuana use to heroin use...a lot of people in the Philippines are just as ignorant.

There is a problem, but surely there are humane ways of handling this crisis.

Do the people who had their child murdered by him love him?

You said "most of the people I know there..." insinuating it was high percent of locals... so not putting words in your mouth. Truth is .2% distrust him 91% trust him.

I feel very sorry for people who's lives are destroyed by their choice to turn to drugs. But I feel even more sympathy for those who didn't choose and their lives were destroyed by drug users. A 49% downturn in rape, domestic violence, robbery, etc equates to a lot of people with better lives.

Again. There are no roving death squads here. Most murders are done by drug pushers eliminating those about to testify against them. MSM is strait up lying and distorting.

First off my apologies if I seemed combative, this is a sensitive issue for me and I'm note exactly sure, it just rubs me the wrong way, actually infuriates me.

My "insinuation" was your own misinterpretation with all due respect.

I can count the people I know there well enough to call "close friends" with two hands so I can in no way, shape, or form insinuate what the whole country feels about this.

I already acknowledged culture differences which is part of the reason he is getting as much support, plus the problem is real and they want the crisis dealt with. It appears they are willing to sacrifice humanity and ethics to eradicate this problem.

Personally, I don't agree.

The death squads are documented, no denying them.

He denies ever calling for them but he did.

Duterte, who has been Davao's mayor or vice-mayor for most of the past 30 years, has denied any involvement in the murders. "I never did that," he said on the campaign trail in April, responding to allegations he had directed the killings. An Office of the Ombudsman investigation also found there was no evidence connecting Duterte to the murders.

He has, though, repeatedly condoned them.

For example, in comments to reporters in 2009, he warned: "If you are doing an illegal activity in my city, if you are a criminal or part of a syndicate that preys on the innocent people of the city, for as long as I am the mayor, you are a legitimate target of assassination.”

And more recently he has vowed to wipe out crime in six months across the country by killing criminals, drug pushers and "sons of bitches" after he takes office on June 30.

www.reuters.com...

In your opinion, are all the claims against Duterte lies?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: Voyaging

Its not up to us to justify anything. It's none of our damn business.

If the people of Philippines like the guy and everything that he's doing, then it does not matter what we think. If he's killing criminals, don't matter their age, I have no problem with that

Have some regard for your fellow human beings, please.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Martin Luther King's strategies wouldn't make a dent in the Philippines' problems. Try going to a drug lord's base of operations and doing a sit-in while holding hands.. or doing a peaceful march into their cash vault. Try it.

I'm sure the Filipino people never thought of that, right? Are you really that arrogant that you'd believe that?

What do you think is going to happen to those peaceful protesters, so mindful of human rights?

Stop trying to force your ideals onto other countries. The Phillipines are a third world country. They aren't near wealthy enough to target this problem with courts, judges, and human rights. It won't work and will just get good people hurt. Meanwhile the criminals will continue to thrive while laughing at your retardedness.

It'll work as well as your beloved democracy did in Iraq. Dictator in Iraq = stable country. Your beloved ideals in Iraq = ISIS.

edit on 9/22/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

It'll work as well as your beloved democracy did in Iraq. Dictator in Iraq = stable country. Your ideals in Iraq = ISIS.

Not your fault, but you obviously have no idea what country I am from or am living in.

Baseless assumptions don't lead to much IMO.

I'm not forcing my ideals on anyone, I am just expressing my outrage to this situation.

Never thought I would use Phage's signature in a post but:

Get your facts straight before you distort them.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: yuppa

Won't happen. Not enough oil there.

ETA: And if enough is discovered, nothing will hold them back.

Oh but there is....

estimate places potential oil resources in the South China Sea as high as 213 billion barrels of oil

Forbes

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

a reply to: RedDragon

It'll work as well as your beloved democracy did in Iraq. Dictator in Iraq = stable country. Your ideals in Iraq = ISIS.

Not your fault, but you obviously have no idea what country I am from or am living in.

Baseless assumptions don't lead to much IMO.

I'm not forcing my ideals on anyone, I am just expressing my outrage to this situation.

Never thought I would use Phage's signature in a post but:

Get your facts straight before you distort them.

I never said you were from the US. I was talking about ideology like MLKing's.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

Just offering it as a possibility. Maybe not him but, those behind him.

I see. Now its 'maybe him' or 'those behind him'. Careful about just throwing stuff out there...

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DigitalVigilante420

The locals literally are laughing out loud at this. They brought it up to me laughing at this.

The guy couldn't describe his gun correctly.

Called a McDonalds a hotel he supposedly killed some one in....

But the western MSM is reporting it as gospel.

In a word: yes. Lies.

edit to ad: falling asleep now, but i would like to mention the person leading the inquiry was recently removed because they are now under inditement for drug trade involvement:
link

Aguirre: Case vs. De Lima over illegal drug trade to be filed this week

edit on 22-9-2016 by pianopraze because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze
Oh but there is....

I didn't say there wasn't. I said it wasn't enough to warrant an invasion.

Iraq has about 1000 times the oil that the Philippines can claim, not what is in the South China sea since philippines can't lay claim to all that.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Why? It isn't unheard of.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Normally I would hate such actions.

But the situation in the philipines is that most the police and local govement is brought out. The corruption makes any other solultion impossible.

Comparing the USA or Europe to the Philipines is just not a far comparsion.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

If we don't take back our rule of law soon and instead let it fall further and further into corruption we might become the Philippines or some version of it.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
If we don't take back our rule of law soon and instead let it fall further and further into corruption we might become the Philippines or some version of it.

So, enact martial law now?
edit on 22-9-2016 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Well, it looks like the city of Chicago needs it at least. Organized crime and street gangs essentially have an occupying force in large segments of the city with a total count of up to 100,000 humans directly affiliated with street gangs and international crime syndicates within the city. Gun control essentially solidified their positions. So yes, Martial Law in Chicago sounds like something that we could try temporarily to regain control of neighborhoods to the people and away from criminals.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Why? It isn't unheard of.

Why be careful what you make up? Because this is ATS...

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
So yes, Martial Law in Chicago sounds like something that we could try temporarily to regain control of neighborhoods to the people and away from criminals.

Temporary, like the Patriot Act?

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Why be careful what you make up? Because this is ATS...

ATS isn't what it used to be....

Besides I'm not saying I got proof that this is the case. I'm saying that history has shown that handing over liberty in exchange for safety doesn't always turn out well.

The guy is on the record saying that he has a friend that has been generous with him for the last 30 years. Make of it whatever you want.

Duterte admits receiving gifts from Quiboloy
edit on 22-9-2016 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

That won't fix our problem. You misunderstand the situation in the Philippines, Duterte was basically elected by a public mandate. He got his position through pretty much grass roots. The elite were against him. He was looking to retire, he took the position reluctantly because it was needed and the people asked him to.

All instituting martial law would being doing is putting more power in the hands of the people that are currently corrupting the legal system.

I'm not sure WHAT to do, but something other than denial of the problem might help get us somewhere. But no, putting more power in the hands of the people who are the problem is obviously not the solution. The issue is the law has turned on the people and works only to serve the few. That's what we need to fix.

Duterte unlike our politicians is, as the story goes, working for the people and not the select few. Thus his bad attitude towards people like Obama and the UN. He's supposedly not doing his job because he desires or loves power but out of a sense of duty.

The last thing I want is violence and bloodshed, but in order to avoid that we need people to stop denying the problem and have a mass awakening. If enough people wake up we can simply demand change and force a peaceful resolution. If you all are so fearful of violence then instead of ignoring the problem, and letting it get worse til all that's left is revolution, stop playing the denial game, and help us figure out some way to solve the issues with our legal system peacefully. Believe me I'm all ears for solutions. I am not, however, all ears for excuses to enable things to get worse.
edit on 9/22/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Besides I'm not saying I got proof that this is the case.

I know, you just said it.

ATS isn't what it used to be....

Yes it is. As long as we don't just say stuff, that is.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

a reply to: DigitalVigilante420

Come on folks, do you really want to justify these killings?

Well they could just let the drug dealers operate. That results in many more deaths from addiction plus crime and murder from turf wars.

If his reasons are true and he's after the cartels and not just making his power base more secure and justifying more security to crush any resistance... then one has to cut out the cancer. Remember the battle with Pablo Escobar? It was way more bloody.

I think it's a good thing that he's addressing his country's drug problem as foreign interests are mostly behind it, but as previously mentioned his methods are barbaric. I know that extraordinary times deserve extraordinary measures but this is overkill.

He's a loose cannon and needs to be contained.

As mentioned in another thread, why doesn't he go after the child molesters and human traffickers first, that is a bigger problem and the victims of these crimes often turn to drugs.

So Duterte looks at the drug problems in his country, and think this is destroying the land, the people, the children, and says to himself, this problem needs to be "contained". He does this, by killing and throwing the people he believes to be the problem, in jail
YOU look at duterte and thinks, his action are destroying the land, the people, the children and says "He's a loose cannon and needs to be contained." So how are you gonna do that? By invading, bombing, killing??

How are you any different that Duterte??

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I know, you just said it.

So are you agreeing or not?

Yes it is. As long as we don't just say stuff, that is.

I linked something, still, ATS isn't what it used to be.

It's OK, I had a hard time accepting it as well. It'll be OK.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join