It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte is NOT a Hero - Charisma is NOT a Reason to Cheer Death

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: daskakik

I think i will rather believe everything that I've heard from people living there, than what I read on mainstream media.

Which is exactly what I have done.

Locals told me about this, and I looked into it.

How many people do you speak to on a nearly daily basis over there?

I already admitted that a lot of people support him so I am not suggesting everyone hates him, the culture there is different. The ones who moved here have been "north americanized" and don't see drugs as big a deal as their relatives who have been born and raised there.
Some people in some countries agree chopping a thieves arm is good, sometimes the majority, does that mean the majority is always right? Definitely not.

edit on 22-9-2016 by DigitalVigilante420 because: some not a lot

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalVigilante420
a reply to: pianopraze

I've been living in the Philippines for the last couple years.

Don't believe the MSM hype. Ask the locals on here, or on any Philippine forum.

Most the people I know there who alerted me to research this tyrant were born and raised there and have family where I live and visit often, your couple years of living there doesn't change the fact that this is happening.

Sure crime rates are dropping, but at what cost?

It's not all media hype, media does hype it up but there's truth behind it.

I don't know where you are located but this certainly appears to be happening.

(according to the locals)

And yes many do support it, that is on them not me, it's their country. If they are okay with Hitleresque type dictatorship then that's their problem not mine. Everyone I've spoken to are against his practices.

Crime rate down 49%:

PNP chief: Crime rate down 49%

Most of the prevalent crimes, Sereñas said, were usually drug-related such as theft, robbery, domestic violence, rape and all forms of abuse.

Cant find latest number, but close to 2oo,ooo pushers (according to local tv nightly news) and users have turned themselves in since crackdown began. Here is one link quoting 65,000 in first two weeks: link

PNP chief: 65,000 drug pushers, users have surrendered since crackdown
Published July 15, 2016 7:23pm
More than 65,000 drug users and pushers nationwide have surrendered to authorities since President Rodrigo Duterte launched an intensified anti-drug campaign, PNP chief Director General Ronald Dela Rosa

People love him, here, despite what you say. And no its not out of fear as some msm speculate

91% approve/trust only 0.2% don't: link

The Pulse Asia’s Ulat ng Bayan nationwide survey found 91 percent of Filipinos saying they have “big trust” in the President, while practically no one (0.2 percent) distrusts him.

The remaining eight percent of respondents could not say if they trust or distrust Duterte.

So your friends are in a very small minority. People here are brimming with pride over Duterte and bring him up all the time in any conversation.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ErrorErrorError

People don't want authoritarian leaders. People want the rule of law to be upheld. It's not being upheld, and is instead being used to protect the elite and persecute the people. A slight infraction can ruin a normal citizens life, while the elite pay a small fine and get away with blatantly breaking our laws and if on the small chance they actually are convicted they go live in a posh prison especially designed for them for a few years.

You misunderstand the people's wishes. We just want justice, fair, for all regardless of social status or financial means. Without that we don't have a rule of law. We're caught between a rock and a hard place. Everyone refuses to acknowledge the state of things, they defend the corrupt legal system, and offer no alternatives. People are desperate to RESTORE the rule of law. To hold the real criminals responsible and stop imprisoning and destroying the lives of citizens over minor infractions.
edit on 9/22/2016 by Puppylove because: grammar and spelling

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

People love him, here, despite what you say.

Please do not put words in my mouth. I did not say that and you are being dishonest.

See my above post and a couple others in this thread where I acknowledge that many people support him. It is a different culture. My mom equates marijuana use to heroin use...a lot of people in the Philippines are just as ignorant.

There is a problem, but surely there are humane ways of handling this crisis.

Do the people who had their child murdered by him love him?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Voyaging

Kids die no matter what the policies of a country are. Kids die here in the USA ALL the time. They kill each other, suicide, or die in gang wars as well. We do not know the exact nature of "a few of them young children" or how they died. Even if we did, kids would have still died from a lack of law enforcement. To cite a few kids may have died in the last few months is merely an emotional appeal on a claim that really has not been proven to be linked exclusively with these policies vs say ... the same number of kids would have died from overdoses or as witness to crimes in the same period without the policies.

The world is not the lie and fantasy illusion utopia western propaganda has been selling for half a century. Bad things happen, and sometimes to children. In fact a kid probably died from gang violence today in Chicago, or NYC, or LA, Detroit, some small town in America.

Colombia had this problem during the reign of Pablo Escobar. The people were so fed up with it, they grudgingly accepted a psychotic jungle guerilla faction hired by rival drug cartels and ignored by the government , and armed by the CIA (to combat communism of course) that was taking out anyone and anything related to him, including children and known innocents. Some societies will accept a scary price to pay to remove the source of crime. It is their choice to make.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Can we really force our beliefs and values on other countries?
Do we interfere with their aggressive attempt to remove a criminal element but do nothing to stop women from being stoned to death in the middle east for susposed crimes?
Where do we draw the line?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DigitalVigilante420

I think it's a good thing that he's addressing his country's drug problem as foreign interests are mostly behind it, but as previously mentioned his methods are barbaric. I know that extraordinary times deserve extraordinary measures but this is overkill.

Greedy criminals don't care how many people die. If he was part of it, he wouldn't be fighting them.

How else to handle it?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You are not doing anything but offering your opinion on the interwebz.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalVigilante420

People love him, here, despite what you say.

Please do not put words in my mouth. I did not say that and you are being dishonest.

See my above post and a couple others in this thread where I acknowledge that many people support him. It is a different culture. My mom equates marijuana use to heroin use...a lot of people in the Philippines are just as ignorant.

There is a problem, but surely there are humane ways of handling this crisis.

Do the people who had their child murdered by him love him?

You said "most of the people I know there..." insinuating it was high percent of locals... so not putting words in your mouth. Truth is .2% distrust him 91% trust him.

I feel very sorry for people who's lives are destroyed by their choice to turn to drugs. But I feel even more sympathy for those who didn't choose and their lives were destroyed by drug users. A 49% downturn in rape, domestic violence, robbery, etc equates to a lot of people with better lives.

Again. There are no roving death squads here. Most murders are done by drug pushers eliminating those about to testify against them. MSM is strait up lying and distorting.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Greedy criminals don't care how many people die. If he was part of it, he wouldn't be fighting them.

Not necessarily true. Internal struggles happen.

link   
Dude they live in a third world country. They don't have the money to have a War on Drugs and have the highest prisoner per capita population in the world. What else do you want them to do?

They have 2 options:

1) Solve the problem the way Dutuerte is doing it. That means lots of people, both dealers and users, are going to get killed.

2) Let their country continue to be a rotting, third world #hole plagued by corruption, drugs, and crime. And feel like total useless cowards by looking the other way.

If you have to actually be one of the people living there and not a rich first-worlder with rose-colored glasses criticizing from the outside, the answer is easy: #1 all day.
edit on 9/22/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: ErrorErrorError

People don't want authoritarian leaders. People want the rule of law to be upheld. It's not being upheld, and is instead being used to protect the elite and persecute the people. A slight infraction can ruin a normal citizens life, while the elite pay a small fine and get away with blatantly breaking our laws and if on the small chance they actually are convicted they go live in a posh prison especially designed for them for a few years.

You misunderstand the people's wishes. We just want justice, fair, for all regardless of social status or financial means. Without that we don't have a rule of law. We're caught between a rock and a hard place. Everyone refuses to acknowledge the state of things, they defend the corrupt legal system, and offer no alternatives. People are desperate to RESTORE the rule of law. To hold the real criminals responsible and stop imprisoning and destroying the lives of citizens over minor infractions.

Our system is a good example of what would had eventually happened to their country if it was let go. People too powerful to prosecute and above the law. Just look at our two tiered justice system. Wild west days were much better with lower crime rates.

Oh boo hoo a british governments daughter was killed for possesing drugs. If this was just one of the natives this would not even be a issue. And whoops soem innocent people died. trust me if they were innocent they are far better off in the afterlife than here dealing with this crap.

Finally its their country. The US should not step in or say anything because when we do we get slammed for it. and slammed for not doing anything as well. Let them handle their own problem.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
The US should not step in or say anything because when we do we get slammed for it. and slammed for not doing anything as well. Let them handle their own problem.

That's a mighty fine strawman you have there. Care to point out where the OP, or the post you quoted, said the US should step in?
edit on 22-9-2016 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
They're a poor country and their internal enemies have no problem ignoring human rights. As a poor country, they're not powerful enough to fight enemies who ignore human rights while still valuing human rights themselves. That's IMPOSSIBLE.

Trying to solve their problems while valuing human rights is just sympathizing with the enemies because it gives them a guaranteed victory.

edit on 9/22/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

originally posted by: yuppa
The US should not step in or say anything because when we do we get slammed for it. and slammed for not doing anything as well. Let them handle their own problem.

That's a mighty fine strawman you have there. Care to point out where the OP said the US should step in?

Oh it would evetually come down to the UN and the US trying to do something to reign in the guy in question. rememebr we dont start off with warplanes and troops. we always start off with OPINIONS and rhetoric. Just like all our nations have done.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Internal struggles happen.

Which this is. Are you suggesting he's fighting for control of the drug empire?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Oh it would eventually come down to the UN and the US trying to do something to reign in the guy in question.

Thats a standard road of attrition used to control nations and peoples. Create a problem then step in and 'fix' it. Theres no examples of that out there, currently (rolls eyes)

War on terror, war on drugs, debt, poverty, education, jobs...

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Won't happen. Not enough oil there.

ETA: And if enough is discovered, nothing will hold them back.
edit on 22-9-2016 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Just offering it as a possibility. Maybe not him but, those behind him.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Create a problem then step in and 'fix' it.

So are drugs the problem or Duterte, or maybe a one-two punch?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join