It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greek Apache goes in the drink

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Just found this on Facebook that happened a couple of hours ago in Greece..
An Ah64D belonging to the Greek army Aviation suffered an engine out at low level which caused it lose power and crash during a climb and dive manouver into the water at Vrasna Beach in front of crowds..Both crew survived which is the main thing with one in hospital..Its strange how the engine banged out way before the manouver to climb and dive..
Apache down story translated

edit on 21-9-2016 by Blackfinger because: Added vid

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Didn't sound like and engine out. If it just happened how do they know what caused it? Pilot saying that?

edit on 21/9/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

I'm no expert in aviation but to me that looked like pilot error. It seemed a bit low to be doing something like that right? I imagine the "Error" story is to save face and embarrassment for the pilot and the Greek Air Force. Basic PR shpill I guess.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Its pilot error.

Check out similar video of american apache crashing doing similar manuever in afghanistan

m.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

There goes their military budget and their air force

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Look at the starboard engine exhaust at the 5,6 sec mark.Definately a small bang there..

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This appears to be a condition called vortex ring state. The Apache is recovering from a steep descent and recovery where the rotor wash is being re-ingested in the rotor decreasing lift. This is a common condition that pilots are trained to avoid. It has been a factor in several helicopter accidents. The helicopter in the Bin Laden raid, several tilt rotor crashes and any time you make fast descents or flight into a confined area...just my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

What happened in the link i posted above with the US apache crashing in a similar fashion in afghanistan?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
There is a strobe/marker light there on the side of the engine nacelle on the AH-64's.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

It was the same thing. It was a high altitude airfield with thin air. Watch how sluggish it maneuvers when it overflies. Then the Apache makes a rapid descent and attempts a recovery. I see two dynamic problems and one judgement error. The helicopter was flying at a high density altitude ( Landing zone in a mountainous airfield) and performance of extreme maneuvering. Finally, the pilot in command did not start recovery in a manner to avoid vortex ring state which resulted in the loss of the aircraft.

I hate pointing out pilot error but that is what this is.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Thank you sir for you informative reply. Always a pleasure hearing from subject matter experts

top topics

join