It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Long Until ATS and Sites of the Like are Outlawed in the U.S.?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: gortex

Control and operation of the Internet is being handed over to an International group a

Are you referring to the naming standards on the internet (.com, .sex, .gov) etc? That's all the 'control' I think you are referring to and why that would have been in the hands of the government of one particular country in the first place is a puzzle. Anything over and above that and I'm going to guess you are offering up just your opinion.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

originally posted by: opethPA

Above and beyond any of that , America isnt China , North Korea or similar countries where the Govt truly controls what it's people see.

Wow, I would shave my head if it were possible to believe that.

I can literally go on the Internet and go to any site I wish to right now.
I could not go to China or North Korea and go to any site I wish to.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Yea, you're right about the naming business. And yes, its somewhat my opinion although my opinion is informed by articles like:
thehill.com...

And: aclj.org...

I think the issue needs 'watching" to see how all this plays out.
From the last link, for example:
"In the past few years, Russia and China have used a U.N. agency called the International Telecommunication Union to challenge the open Internet. They have lobbied for the ITU to replace Washington as the Icann overseer. They want the ITU to outlaw anonymity on the Web (to make identifying dissidents easier) and to add a fee charged to providers when people gain access to the Web "internationally"—in effect, a tax on U.S.-based sites such as Google and Facebook. The unspoken aim is to discourage global Internet companies from giving everyone equal access. . . . The ITU is now a lead candidate to replace the U.S. in overseeing Icann. The Commerce Department says it doesn't want to transfer responsibility to the ITU or other governments, but has suggested no alternative. Icann's CEO, Mr. Chehadé, told reporters after the Obama administration's announcement that U.S. officials are "not saying that they'd exclude governments—governments are welcome, all governments are welcome." Ms. Dyson calls U.N. oversight a "fate worse than death" for the Internet."

Guess we'll have to see how this plays out.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I don't think it matters who gets elected, but I do agree. The clock is ticking..

That's right.
January 20th at noon. This site just all of a sudden "wont work"

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I often wonder that my self when browsing ATS... Short stories with poems, Mandela effect, Clinton, Trump, and an ocasional 9/11 thread...The Government is shaking

Yeah and everything is exactly how they tell it to you?
Gearge Carlin is a conspiracy buff and I'm all ^%&*ed up because I
can see thru lies? And believe powerful people want more power?
And the whole scheme of technology that would allow them to
do so. Has never even been considered by anyone accept for
myself because I'm the evil psycho gravitating to places of
power, the rest of the world is just peachy the way it is
as long you don't see any reason that might make you
think there's a reason to get off your ass. RightyO okay.
Mean while the reason there is even a word conspiracy is
almost none existent to you. Because only the truth and
nothing but the truth comes out of boxes and magizines.
You shouldn't even ask your doctor if medical advice from
a TV commercial is right for you!

edit on Rpm91916v36201600000003 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Bah humbug.

There's no need for the PTB to go to all the trouble of trying to pass laws and/or shut these types of alternative sites down.

All they have to do is spread the propaganda that we're all a bunch of crackpot nutjobs and the rest of the populace laps it up like nectar.

... which is exactly what TPTB and their media lapdogs have been doing for decades, and thus far, it's been working quite nicely for them.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Nah.. I'm well aware of how things are running, the world today is one massive conspiracy...it is discussed every where, not limited to conspiracy sites, not limited to the US.

edit on 19-9-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I bekieve the intelligence pukes scan this site all the time.
China says we are a "source".

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

"China", the Empire, knows about ATS? And even talked about us?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted
a reply to: FamCore

Why would it be banned? Do you think that there is something that should be investigated on here?

If someone posts a direct incitement to hate, attack or kill an individual or group of individuals (as strangely enough, has been posted today), but more crucially that incitement is directly attributable to such an attack taking place, then ATS or any other forum would have some questions to answer.

Exactly!

The moderators do a pretty decent job of keeping up with this kind of thing, given the sheer size of this place and the fact that they're an all-volunteer staff. Questionable stuff can get trashed and there are restrictions on hate speech.

While some might not like these steps, they're the sort of thing that keeps the community safe and able to function in cyberspace.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

a reply to: Stormdancer777

I don't think it matters who gets elected, but I do agree. The clock is ticking..

The over politicization of seemingly every #ing topic on this site is driving me nuts.

Its like a Trump plug or ad every corner I turn. Really pisses me off.

Anyway on topic, i think some sites will be cracked down on, however, i think sites like ATS have taken steps to actually make their site safe from this sort of thing. The manners and decorum along with the T and C's, a fantastic staff, and im sure some level of cooperation with gov. entities should ensure a site like ATS keeps its status.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

"China", the Empire, knows about ATS? And even talked about us?

Since we're simply repeating things on other sites and giving opinions, I doubt that they're using us for much more than a news aggregator (if that.) It'd be more efficient to scan Fox, Reuters, and other sources.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It's really hard to say. I think this site allows for free-thinking. That is something even our government doesn't like. With the freedom to post political views and thoughts on religion, I think that someday, maybe, there might be a warning if not an actual shutdown. Or even a temporary warning shutdown. I have a stepson that is married to a little Chinese gal. He says they eat this stuff up in China. That's if they are even allowed to see the sight to begin with. I wonder, with web bot technology, if countries like China could develop a way of taking the American "pulse", so to say. A way to size up the American views and thoughts. Then....sites like this MIGHT be endangered.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

We were mentioned in an article...somewhere....I have memory issues but it WAS in a thread.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalVigilante420

Most likely, in the near future, sites like these will only be able to operate as long as they "follow the rules".

The first hints that the sites have been "infiltrated/warned" would be closing discussion on some topics such as 9/11 and Sandy Hook for example. When conspiracies are no longer welcome to be discussed on conspiracy sites...something is afoot.

This is what I see when I read your posts:

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I honestly dont think we'll see that happen. It would attract to much attention. Monitor us(more)? Infiltrate us(More?) Regulate the interweb more(yep)...but I think it'd create a large uproar if they did.

I think we'll just get more "watchers" and "Handlers" down the wires...

ATS'rs!? STAND STRONG!

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneGoal

The over politicization of seemingly every #ing topic on this site is driving me nuts.

Its like a Trump plug or ad every corner I turn. Really pisses me off.

Funny, you were the first one to mention Trump specificly. Thanks for the plug anyways.

it was the article about the Chinese stealth fighter? I believe there was an image of it covered under a tarp and the article mentioned ATS and I think it was Tibetan too.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I don't think that outright shutdown of sites like this will be the tactic used--I think that paid government people will try and inundate these sites to the point that it frustrates the actual users to the point of no longer using the site (either moving on or just giving up altogether).

But who knows--maybe neither scenario will happen and we'll enjoy these sites forever, although I'm quite certain that we're in the beginning rounds of my noted possibility.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

although I'm quite certain that we're in the beginning rounds of my noted possibility.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. Know the signs.. and don't feed the trolls!

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Something tells me they don't care about ATS, since ATS is already under their umbrella. The things they worry about are smaller groups who use anonymity and encryption to hide their activity. But that doesn't mean they won't try to convince you ATS is rebellious. They want you in the open.

BUT I do think there will be an increasing tendency on the internet for people to be identified and for harassment to be prosecuted as a crime. This is where I get uncomfortable. They don't identify us because it's necessary, as they have many methods, but for psychological reasons. I value my anonymity, even if it's not really anonymity, you know? Beyond that, prosecuting what people say online is absurd. People don't think very much about what they say, but they sure as hell will when people start getting prison sentences for typing dumb things. Furthermore, with the technologies coming out, they may be able to detect your mood or even your thoughts. If they're prosecuting what you type, it's not long before they prosecute what you think or dream.

It's Orwellian. But I've thought for a long time the internet has been like hte Wild West. It was just a matter of time before govenrment realized they needed to enforce "law and order". The issue though is the internet connects us all so deeply. If htey go deep enough and the laws get skirted around, they will know more about you than you do. And what happens when THEY know more about you than you do? They use it. And you will be none the wiser. Just a tool. And God knows what a overbearing government might do.
edit on 9/20/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join