It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient 5000 year old Cochno Stone star map?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Just looking at your bottom picture, as pure speculation.........what about a map of henges? (either in the area of in Britain in general).

It is well known that Britain was absolutely stuffed full of henges and they have slowly disappeared over the years (demolished, used for building, etc). We now know many henges were circular / spiral in design (when taking into account wooden posts, etc, as well as the stones). Not sure how much credence i put in that, it just struck me looking at your picture that they look remarkably similar in design!

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

You never know right? It could be that, a star map, a treasure map, a map of burial sites...

That is the thing about these types of petroglyphy things isn't it? The fun is in the interpretation.

Who knows, it might have been something as simple as a classroom for budding, stone age stonemasons practising to be the next big prehistoric van Gogh!

Let's see who does the best swirls kind of deal...

edit on 20-9-2016 by Jonjonj because: Changed artist, more swirly

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Good find, I have a particular interest in what are named cup and ring marks or rock art, as one such example was situated in the bus station in the town where I grew up, and it always fascinated me as a kid. It's only in the last few years though, that I've have researched the subject and personally visited the many examples that can be found near where I live.

The majority of carvings are cup and ring marks or some combination of them. It seems to me this is a bit of a rigid pattern when they could have carved any shape or design they chose. It's like the cup and ring designs hold some particular significance to those who made them.

What I find very intriguing and possibly unique about the Conchno stone though is all those straight lines and grid type markings! At first I assumed they my have been painted on by the researchers to map it better, but when I found more images they clearly look contemporary with the rest of the carvings as shown here:

source

It actually reminds me more of the Nazca lines than other rock art in the region!

Here's another fine example of the more regular cup and ring markings found all over the place
Cup and rings scotland

Here's a Twitter feed showing many images of the Cochno stone excavation
excavation

I can't wait to see the Lazar? survey image, I couldn't see those parralel lines on the link above though.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
to me its just a bunch os spiral drawings so basicaly nothing

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: humanoidlord

Cool

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord
to me its just a bunch os spiral drawings so basicaly nothing

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Cheers for the info, im from Glasgow(South side) and i have never heard of this place before.

Might need to pay it a visit if its being uncovered again, really interesting.

edit on 20-9-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Looks like stars to us. To them it could have been watering holes, caves, good places to pick berries, huts where people in the tribe lived, sites of battles... any number of relatively mundane things. If it was stars, I would think that a good archeoastronomer would probably have decoded it by now.
edit on 21-9-2016 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Looks like stars to us. To them it could have been watering holes, caves, good places to pick berries, huts where people in the tribe lived, sites of battles... any number of relatively mundane things. If it was stars, I would think that a good archeoastronomer would probably have decoded it by now.

I think the fact that it has been buried for something like 60 years and existing in relative obscurity might have put the kibosh on a lot of study regarding this place. I might be wrong though.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Scotland in the 1960s was not that much better off than a third world nation, truth is its not much better in this day of age. Covering the thing up probably saved the site from being vandalized and destroyed beyond repair.

That being said one has to wonder as to how much damage the site may have been done down to all that rock and other debris being dumped on top to cover it up?

Hopefully not to much.
edit on 21-9-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

want me to go there and take some new pics for you all ?

im quite interested in it now and I'd like to see it first hand myself
I live in the city of Glasgow i'll jump in the motor and fire over there when I have spare time at the weekend and take some more detailed photos

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

aye mate im govanhill , let me know when yer going could be a nice wee day oot !

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Im pretty sure the cup and spiral , cup ring , designs were prevalent in pict culture

the triskele was the favoured motif

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Thanks for giving me something to check out, google is now being hammered on this subject.

As it is fun to speculate, my money is on a representation of particle collisions.

Just kidding, but that is what I thought of looking at the image here below.

Above photo taken from here:

Cochno stone archaeology dude's page

Lots of research available in the links above too.

I'm thinking it's a starmap. The top left has three points close together which are Orion's belt. Then the four stars to the lower left of that are the upper body of Orion.

Could be village huts too. Edinburgh has a dcale model of Newtown made in Bronze. Romans did the same in Italy. Having a map of all the storage space would assist in planning and trade.
edit on 22-9-2016 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Fantastic find i didn't know that star map existed,, it will be very interesting to find out what "planets or galaxies" they are...
If That's what they are.

Thanks to everyone for posting links

edit on 22-9-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
It might be nothing, but I have seen concentric circles like this before.

In fact, I have paintings in my house that kind of look like this.

They're Aboriginal paintings. I'm related to Aboriginals through marriage (my brother, cousin, mother etc) and one well-known Aboriginal artist painted a picture like this for me.

On my painting, there is one large concentric circle that is meant to denote me as the "mother", and that large concentric circle is linked to other smaller circles which are all my children.

It is a painting of family. The father is not included in my paintings--not sure why--but I think it represents birth and how these children came from me. It's a really powerful and personal painting that links us all together.

So I wonder if this stone depicts a family tree and the campsite where they lived.

Of course, Aboriginal art uses dots and I'm not Aboriginal myself, but the similarity struck me.
edit on 22-9-2016 by pacific because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Im pretty sure the cup and spiral , cup ring , designs were prevalent in pict culture the triskele was the favoured motif

Maybe so, but these designs are Neolithic, created long before the pict culture, I think I read on megalithic portal that it is thought some go as back as far 6000 BC!

Also I wouldn't rush out there to visit it, I read that they excavated the site in 2015, did a survey, then buried it again. They are supposedly going to erect a sign at the site showing the designs on the stone though, and I for one would very much like to see just that. I'm very curious if it shows those parallel lines as seen in the pictures from the 1930's survey.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

edit on 23-9-2016 by surfer_soul because: double post

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Wouldn't we have to say all the cup and ring marks across Scotland (and Europe) are star maps, which obviously they are not.

But thank you for posting they excavated the site, I hadn't seen an announcement on this before.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Never heard about this one before, and yes, it does look rather celestial, doesn't it? With computers, perhaps there is a way to compare the images to actual telescopic images, and see if there is any match. Also, to check against the positions of the stars around the time this was apparently created. If it is a chart, I'd bet it's accurate. The question is, for when, and in what direction, and why.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join