It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient 5000 year old Cochno Stone star map?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
This Prehistoric Rock Art of Southern Scotland has always fascinated me.

While it has been written about as being simply another example of ancient Cup and Ring art. I think this one could be much more than is given consideration. It's very unique and in my opinion an example of someone 5,000 years ago wanting to convey a fairly sophisticated message. It's been speculated as being a local map, A spiritual ritual and even a spell or incantation.

I'm going with a Star map system complete with grid work.

The images are from the 1930s and the grooves were outlined with white paint and what they revealed in my humble opinion is amazing. Here we have spirals, circles, some binary appearing images and a grid work emanating from a central location. Now if true, not saying it is, but if true. Someone needs to get cracking on solving this possible ancient star pattern.

To me it's not just stars, but also spiral galaxies. distance binary star clusters complete with encoded information about their individual make up and as well as their correlation and orientation to each other in 3-D spacial reality presented to us in a 2 Dimensional format. A 2-D snap shot of a 3-D moment in time if it were.

Another thought just came to me.

Maybe, someone could have always been trying to contact us as a specie?

If so, Most people in our modern world have all seen images of crop circles. Maybe, this phenomena has been going on much further back in time than we realize, and that whomever created the artwork, lucky enough for us, could have had the foresight enough to not only record how they appeared but also, where they were oriented to other Circle formations. Creating not only a record of shapes and size but orientation to Earth, each other and possibly of their unique individual make up.

I dunno. I've seen spiral carvings, Crop circles and have been lucky enough to have camped far enough away from any man made city/town lights and viewed the heavens above on beautiful crystal clear nights. The entire sky when viewed in such a manner is utterly astounding. No wonder ancient man looked up and felt more connected to it's existence much more so than most us do today.

Raiders of the lost marks

In the foothills of the Kilpatrick Hills, a short walk from the Faifley housing estate and 20 minutes' drive from Glasgow city centre, there is a huge gritstone outcrop covered in rock art. Domed in the middle, it features dozens of carefully carved circular cup marks and cup-and-ring marks across an area of almost 100 square metres. Dating from the third millennium BC, it is known as the Cochno stone.

It should be one of the most visited and talked about prehistoric sites in Britain. There are hundreds of Neolithic and Bronze Age rock art sites across the country, but the Cochno stone’s scale, complexity and proximity to an urban population make it unique. Yet it is a well kept secret, thanks to a decision in 1965 by the then Ministry of Works to bury it beneath tons of soil and stone. Some 50 years later, we are unearthing it again.

The modern story of the Cochno stone – Cochno means “little cups” in Gaelic – is equal in intrigue to its mysterious prehistoric origins. It began in the 1930s when an account of the site in the Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland caught the attention of the eccentric and tireless amateur archaeologist Ludovic Maclellan Mann. He had already undertaken various excavations of Bronze Age sites in and around Glasgow and had a particular interest in the cosmological meaning of prehistoric rock art.

I think there is more to this than we presently know.

As Always
Stay tuned.
edit on 19-9-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Apart from The Scotsman article, Where can i read more about it? Never heard of these petroglyphs before, great stuff.
edit on 19-9-2016 by kountzero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Fascinating.

It does look like a grid map of a series of star systems.

Maybe a network of safe passage routes from various points of departure to other points of interest.

Ancient empires trade routes?

Looks like they paved the way for us, lets find it you triangle pilots and reclaim that for MANKIND!!!

edit on 9 19 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
It's not a star map. These types of patterns are found across the world, and vary considerably. None of them match any star systems visible from our planet.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: MongolianPaellaFish

True

However, this one has been buried and tucked away from the public eye for quite sometime, also, We have made huge advancements in our knowledge of the cosmos since the 1930s.

Then there is the whole matter of perspective, which way and how we've attempted to interpret the information presented to us thus far. Maybe, nothing has thus far lined up because we have been attempting to do so from the wrong perspective or possibly present planetary orientation?

just a few thought that came to mind after reading your reply.

edit on 19-9-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
They are just uncovering this after 50 years of being buried on purpose.

Mann’s work brought media attention to the stone and soon visitors came flocking. Over the next couple of decades, their numbers kept increasing as urban Glasgow crept closer. By the early 1960s, the Cochno stone had become a popular place for local people and children to hang out. There was a growing fashion for visitors to carve marks and names into the soft rock, and lots of people were walking on the surface.

WTF is wrong with people? Why would anyone get the urge to add their initials to a landmark like this? These are the kind of fu**ing morons who'd draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: MongolianPaellaFish
It's not a star map. These types of patterns are found across the world, and vary considerably. None of them match any star systems visible from our planet.

The very fact that they are found world-wide should be enough to cause considerable interest, in itself.
They vary, which possibly means that they have an interconnection and a structured meaning...maybe serving as a language...which would suggest a world-wide culture, would it not?

Like the OP, I am just putting it out there.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Interesting. As an avid amatuer metal detectorist who is fairly clued up on Scottish History and Archaeology, i missed this one.

These 'enigmas' in Scotland do paint to a history here that is well mis-understood. Something i did find interesting though is the hypothesis that the same 'Druids' that built the Ness of Brogdar are the same 'Druids' who travelled south and built Stonehenge. Make syou wonder, if true, what the people of a tiny Island in harsh, Northern Scotland knew that the majority of others didn't.

Why Orkney Was The Centre of Ancient Britain

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Bookmarking a reply to: SLAYER69

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I was reading about this last week - until then this had completely escaped my attention. It is certainly fascinating but as others have noted, similar patterns and designs are found all over the world - that could indicate something or absolutely nothing (hard to tell without knowing the correct interpretation!).

It is now covered in graffiti (scrathced rather than sprayed) dating from the 1930's though, something that may hinder any attempts to decipher it.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: jrmcleod

Did you miss the new find at Brogdar at the bottom of the ancient refuse pit? It would appear there is a much larger building that was covered and then covered in rubbish.

A huge mysterious structure has been discovered under the largest Neolithic rubbish dump in Scotland

It seems to have the greybeard community scratching beards and heads at the moment.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
They are just uncovering this after 50 years of being buried on purpose.

Mann’s work brought media attention to the stone and soon visitors came flocking. Over the next couple of decades, their numbers kept increasing as urban Glasgow crept closer. By the early 1960s, the Cochno stone had become a popular place for local people and children to hang out. There was a growing fashion for visitors to carve marks and names into the soft rock, and lots of people were walking on the surface.

WTF is wrong with people? Why would anyone get the urge to add their initials to a landmark like this? These are the kind of fu**ing morons who'd draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

These are the kinds of things that make my stomach do flips and make me feel ill...... How can people, especially in todays age (1800-present), knowing just how important these discoveries are.....how can anyone deface them or alter them willingly?! AGH!

-Alee

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Thank you for this!

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Brilliant as always slayer, this is very interesting and also proves they knew how to map very well indeed and probably not only the stars but the earth as well, also it look's very technical and not simply ceremonial with it's neat division which suggests a complicated mathematical model or idea behind this map.
The Ancestor's of the Pict or whomever was there before even them were probably more advanced than modern anthropological view's give's them credit for.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I have to agree, it appears to be a star map, or even a map of galaxies. It's certainly not visible from Earth as such, which begs the question: Was this information brought for humans to record, or did a human take a ride and gain some knowledge which he decided to carve out with wonderful precision?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MongolianPaellaFish

Maybe you should also suggest that different star people came down each with their own interpretation of the may of the cosmos. Or, you can allow that the cuts were really made by humans that simply told generally what the cosmos looked like.

Given that the official sciences refuse to admit to any possible interaction from a higher source, than various different star maps must be considered the rule, otherwise....

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Thanks for giving me something to check out, google is now being hammered on this subject.

As it is fun to speculate, my money is on a representation of particle collisions.

Just kidding, but that is what I thought of looking at the image here below.

Above photo taken from here:

Cochno stone archaeology dude's page

Lots of research available in the links above too.

edit on 19-9-2016 by Jonjonj because: added link

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

That's funny that you posted the first image, thats the very first things that came to mind when I first saw them.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

In the 1930's there were these sorts of things all over the country - you tend to get blase about things in similar situations. What followed was 40 plus years of concreting over the nation so today, with hindsight, we get to look back and say "how stupid were they?". The reality is, of course, very different.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

In the 1930's there were these sorts of things all over the country - you tend to get blase about things in similar situations. What followed was 40 plus years of concreting over the nation so today, with hindsight, we get to look back and say "how stupid were they?". The reality is, of course, very different.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join